Author Topic: Big ones  (Read 226 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Big ones
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:32:24 PM »
Thinking of different ways to carry a large knife afield. I need a new sheath for my Leuku which had 10 inch blade. Have you developed a preference for one way over others. What works for you?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Big ones
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »
You can use a shoulder holster type sheath.  There are several types.  Most hold the knife upside down in a sheath that secures the knife.

Stuff like this:  http://www.lapolicegear.com/galco-shuka.html
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
I think yer pullin' my leg

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »
You may want to look into a baldric.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
Thanks guys. Neither of these ideas had occurred to me.

Sorry Stan, the last pic on the product page made me chuckle. The large gent with a photographer vest packing double trouble

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
I never have done business with them but I saw a few "shoulder holster"  big knife carriers and they were the first in line on Google.

Nuke is right on mentioning the Baldric.  It is better for what most folks do and if I could have remembered the name I would have talked about them too. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
The baldric is not a bad idea. The ones I've seen are a bit too fancy and something about using buckles for sizing adjustments along with thick bridle leather makes those appear too bulky. I'm not sure.

I think I'd be happy with some cordage for the strap/ easily adjusted for length, multi-purpose, etc.
  With a basic scabbard and frog, I might be able to come up with way to attach it to my pack, shoulder bag, or belt for versatility depending on the trip or work being done.

Or it might end up looking half finished and ill conceived

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »

Not technically a baldric rig,  but I have a sling that I use to carry a couple of my bigger hand axes, one has a 20" handle, the other has a 25" handle,  the sling is made of 1-1/2" wide cotton webbing and has a paracord  loop on one end that fits through the lanyard hole on the end of the handle, the other end of the sling has two paracord laces that tie to the axe head where it meets the handle,  the GB small forest axe weighs about two pounds, the other is a hunters type axe and weighs about 2-1/2 pounds.
 Both carry very well, and the sling allows several ways to carry,  across the chest, on the side, or towards the middle of the back,  all are comfortable and allow quick access to the tool,  such a rig I'm sure would adapt quite well to a knife sheath for a knife that big,  the materials are inexpensive and the rig is easy to make.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
For longer knives I like a dangler belt sheath with the option of attaching a leg strap.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
That's one of the ways I came up with Crash. A good way for sure, especially with a pouch type sheath and a knife with no guard.