Author Topic: Boy Scout Leader's Coffee Corner.  (Read 43703 times)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Boy Scout Leader's Coffee Corner.
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
120+ Cub Scouts camping in the defensive ditch at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_Hill_(Fort_George)

They'll have the run of the whole fortress for the long weekend. Coincidentally, the Halifax Bluenose Race Weekend is happening today and tomorrow. Lots of the Cubs are running the Kids 4K race starting in a few minutes. The start and finish lines are at the bottom of the Citadel, so the Cubs will finish the race then walk up to the Fort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Re: Boy Scout Leader's Coffee Corner.
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:05 PM »
Well, it started out well yesterday and the kids had a ball today, until about supper time when the rain and wind picked up. Down in the dry moat, the wind funnelled. My group called it at 830 or so and all kids gone just after ten. I stayed because we still had lots of gear here and I had signed up for a security shift at 4am. Anyway, I couldn't sleep and got up at 1130ish. Good thing. A garage tent my group tent was responsible for blew out even though we reinforced it before the others left. I was sitting in security with two others and we heard it go. Landed on a guys tent. We were lucky no one was hurt let alone killed. Damn thing was 10x20 with aluminum poles and 12" steel stakes flying everywhere. Only knife I had handy, was my SAK. Thankfully it's sharp cause I was cutting and slashing to get the tarp off. We then did rounds and re-stakes a bunch of tents while the kids slept.
Damn, I tired and amped up at the same time.

- Me, 2014

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2016, 01:30:24 AM »
  This appears to be quite a useful site with many links to check out, plus it has some pretty good downloads. Thought I would share it here in this topic, rather than elsewhere. It is likely worthy of a stand alone by itself topic, but this is a start. Perhaps later it will be made into a stand alone, if there is interest to put it out elsewhere. I will see what you folks think if you check it out & find it worthy. Snoop around it a bit & see what you can find.
 ;)

Anyway,  I hope you folks find it useful.
 :)

http://scoutmastercg.com/
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2016, 07:50:43 PM »
Our Cubmaster got deployed to DC so I've just replaced him. My son's den leader (I'm the assistant den leader) volunteered me and I couldn't say no. I'm incredibly overwhelmed and terrified. Luckily we have some good leadership in our pack to help me on the path.
Incidently, when my oldest son becomes a BS his brother will be CS age. I'm probably going to be in it for like 7 years.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »
Won't hurt you a bit! O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Boy Scout Leader's Coffee Corner.
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »
Saintnick, I stepped up three years ago because of a leadership issue in my son's pack. Another old Scouter took leader and I became assistant and we conned (I mean, recruited) another Dad last year. We got another guy this year and we've become a pretty tight team. All of our boys are going to Scouts in Sept and we're staying with the Pack. I've even stepped into the role of Venturer (14-17yo) Advisor.
I was terrified when I started. I was grateful to and humbled by the Cubs by the end of my first year.
You'll have a learning curve but they'll give you a chance if you give yourself one. Follow their lead at first and then figure out how you can help them grow. Be patient with them and with yourself.
This thread is a good resource. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

- Me, 2014

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
I just returned from NCS at Bartle scout reservation in Missouri.
COPE is dope.
Lots of fun, good people.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2017, 07:06:57 PM »
are the new boyscouts hndbooks as indepth as the old ones?
I have one from the 1930's and it has more survival info
than the us,army survival manual.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
are the new boyscouts hndbooks as indepth as the old ones?

NO! :pissed:

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
Are we going to have official B.S.A. condoms, now? :shrug:

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2017, 04:31:01 AM »
And B.S.A. feminine protection.  Merit badge for the bushcraft version.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
I don't like this and many other recent decisions made by the BSA. It is time to clean house and maybe save an American institution.
Nice matters

Offline justbill

• Mill File
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
In '75 I had the opportunity to go to world jamboree in Llillehammer Norway. I discovered that the US is one of a very few countries without co-ed scouting.

The problems everyone keeps foreseeing don't happen elsewhere, so why are we so sure they will happen here? Are we so lacking in self control or common sense?

Neither the patrols nor tent arrangements are co-ed, only the troop/pack is.

We've had co-ed explorer and venturer  units for years. Without problems between the scouts.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
I did not know that, justbill.  Good to know it has worked elsewhere and MAYBE can here, too. :shrug:

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2017, 12:24:37 PM »
I don't care what happens in other countries, my concern is what happens here. The girl scouts are not happy with this decision. I understand the girls enjoy the same outdoor activities as boys and many girl scout troops are not outdoor oriented but it seems easier to me to change the focus of individual girl scout troops than to turn the boy scouts upside down. I believe single sex activities for both boys and girls are important for proper development. Not everything needs to be co-ed.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »
I feel the same way, but judging from what I hear about falling numbers and overall participation I think the organization, as a whole, is grabbing for straws these days. :'(

Offline justbill

• Mill File
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2017, 06:05:00 AM »
When I was a cub scout I wanted activities without girls, they were always around in school and church. Until I was 14 I relished having opportunities girls didn't have. Then I wondered why they were treated so much like they were fragile. They're not any more fragile than boys unless we let or make them be.

No, girls don't typically have the same physique (thankfully) but girls scouts and boy scouts have totally different programs at the national level. Some girls won't want to be in the program boy scouts has. Some boys don't want to. 

If both programs were available as co-ed,  segregated only to the extent necessary,  and operating under a unified national system, the benefits for everyone would far outweigh any drawbacks. If a troop/pack  wants to be co-ed, fine. If a troop/pack wants to be totally one sex, fine. Just offer the same opportunities to everyone.

I think we would all benefit from allowing our youth the chance to be the people they are meant to be, not force them to be what society has always said they 'should ' be.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2017, 07:46:22 AM »
I feel the same way, but judging from what I hear about falling numbers and overall participation I think the organization, as a whole, is grabbing for straws these days. :'(

For what it's worth I agree with you and Orbean,  but just to make it clear that I'm not a sexist,  not long after I became a ranking officer on the police force my Chief decided to open our ranks to women officers, most of the patrol officers objected, I on the other hand welcomed the change, there are many places for women in law enforcement especially when it comes to handling cases of domestic complaints, child abuse, and rape cases, and I'm all for equality in the work place.
  That said, I'm more than a bit traditional when it comes to mixing the roles of men and women in our society,  in my opinion there is a definite role for each in the greater scheme of things and screwing with the natural order of life has never worked out the way the more progressive thinkers of this world plan that it would.
  I was in the Boy Scouts, my boys were in Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts, and I served as a Scout leader for the time that they were active in the organization,  it's Called the Boy Scouts of America for a reason,  the Girl Scouts likewise,  I can see some good out of getting the two organizations together at some Scouting events such as local Scout camps and Jamborees, but I see no benefit for the kids, the troops, or the organization for mingling genders.
  I don't visit this thread very often, the BSA was a great experience in my life,  so when the organization began caving to the whims of certain segments of our society on issues of Political Correctness when it comes to Scouting activities, and on some of the gear that they were restricting it turned me off the organization,  I still believe in Scouting and the plan that the founders of that great organization had envisioned,  but when they started to turn the focus away from building character, respect for right and wrong, through wilderness skills and self reliance, and yes even faith in a higher being, they lost my respect as an organization and joined the ranks of that segment of our society who are hell bent on destroying our traditions and culture, and turning our kids and our country into a one size fits all unisex utopia.
  A lot of negative messaging has been given to certain traditional groups that oppose some forms of change in this country,  one that stands out in my mind is the NRA,  IMHO if the BSA would have adopted the same kind of mindset and policy of carrying on the original intent of it's founders and stood up to those of the PC crowd that would see it changed into something it was never intended to be it would have a lot more support than it does now.

That my view, and I'm sticking to it.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
It's interesting to read the last few posts regarding integration girls into BSA.
I feel like I've fallen through a timewarp of 20 years and that I'm a young Scout Leader again.
Scouts Canada had to change it's policy back in the late '80s or early '90s. I can't remember exactly, but there was a court case or some sort of legal challenge because of the organization's status as a non-profit organization prevented it from discriminating based on sex. The Girl Guides of Canada are organised under a different legal structure (Association perhaps?) and therefore do not have to have equal access.
Anyway, in 1999 our Provincial Council was in the process of getting in step with the national policy and was telling troops that it was a troop-by-troop decision. The Troop Leader (Peter) when I was an Assistant, had been an Assistant back when I was a Scout. He gathered me and the other three Assistants to ask our opinion. They all believed it was for boys etc, etc. Peter agreed with them and then asked me. My answer was simple: Scouting's original intent and primary purpose is to develop good citizens through outdoor education and leadership. How can we train young people to be good citizens without offering them the opportunity to learn and grow with all their peer set? As well, Baden-Powell originally wanted Scouting to be co-ed, but he bowed into his sister's Victorian insistence that they be separate.

I had to leave the group shortly after that because of the Navy, so I don't know whether my argument made much of a difference, but I know that it was one of the first co-ed Troops in that area and that Peter's own daughter ditched Guides in order to join Scouts.
Twenty-plus years on, and it's almost impossible to convince the youth in Scouting today that it wasn't always co-ed. Most kids ask why? or say, that was dumb. I'd say more than half the leaders I work with now came up in the mixed gender organization.
Does having boys and girls in a Troop cause issues? Yeah. But they aren't big and they aren't hard to deal with. The biggest issue is ensuring that there is the right leadership ratio. Need male and female leaders to go camping with boys and girls. Need at least one of each sex. In fact, I'm not even sure if that's a national requirement, but most Troops follow it.
I attended the Canadian National Jamboree in July of this year. Of the 5,000 youth attending it was almost evenly split boys/girls.
Of the 30 or so Scouts who attended from Taiwan, about 20 were girls. I admit I was a bit surprised by that, but turns out I was just ignorant or their organization.
The Troop I was working with was paired with an American Girl Scout Troop from Maine. They were awesome. The Leader knew her stuff and was well organized and the young ladies were very keen and knowledgeable. The leader envied our system because if they were co-ed, then she'd have access to male leaders. She said over the last thirty years, she would often have shortages of leaders with sound outdoor skills. She'd often get a Mom joining with a daughter and at about the point the Mom learned enough to be useful, the daughter would age out and the Mom would drop too.

My own Venturer Company (15-18 year olds) is now exactly 50/50: four boys, four girls. I don't have a female co-advisor but Venturers pick their advisors so that's up to them.
With teens I am a bit vigilant about them being couples and dating. I stress how they should behave rather than telling them what they're forbidden from doing. They get enough of that from parents and school. Besides, quickest way to get a teen to do something is tell them they can't. 

Whew, long windy post. I really hope I wasn't coming across as preaching. I just wanted to share my experiences and observations from having gone through it already. 
- Me, 2014

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
 No offense Yeoman,  you haven't fallen into a time warp,  you just heard the opinions of a few people who have perhaps been around this rock longer than you have and still believe that there are different roles in this life for men and for women, that's not to say that women should be held back from doing anything that they want to in their lives,  some of us remember when men supported their families by working outside the home and providing the materialistic needs,  women worked inside the home insuring the structure and well being of her family while seeing to the character and education of her children,  actually it all worked very well for a lot of eras past,
 Today the world has changed, some of the changes have been good, technology has brought new and wonderful advances in medicine, engineering, transportation, it's afforded more time for education and recreation, all great stuff, but we've also experienced changes that haven't been all that good,  we see a universal loss of respect from and towards people, we see ever more broken families, children who no longer enjoy childhood, who can't cope with the pressures of life and responsibility,  there's much more rage and violence in our world today, too much division, too little belief in faith based truths.
 Many of us "old timers" believe that some of these negative changes have been caused over the years by mothers moving out of the home and into the work place, mothers who believe that they are in competition with men and demand to be treated like men instead of being honored as women, mothers and care givers, "back in our day" there was an order to life,  everyone, men, women, and children had a role in that order,  today we as parents just quit bringing up our kids, we gave up our responsibility and gave it over to strangers,  teachers in the schools, life learned on the TV screen and in the streets, but not where life should be learned, in the home,  around the kitchen table, on family picnics, and in church on Sunday mornings and in Sunday school.
 Someone who hasn't experienced that time in our history and only knows what they remember growing up with all the modern appliances, modern automobiles, computers and cell phones have no conception of what I'm talking about or why I and others like me feel saddened by those social and cultural changes that are happening around us that contribute to most of the unhappiness, discord, division, and anger in out society today,  the mixing and blurring the gender roles today is a big part of what we see as a problem, one that will only grow and get worse as people fail to see the unintended consequences of a unisex materialistic world.   

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
Yeoman's reference to Robert Baden-Powell and his association with the scouting movement piqued my curiosity about his beliefs on how the organization should be structured.  I learned some things I didn't know.....for one thing, I have been pronouncing his name incorrectly all my life. :P

Some of you may find this Wiki article to be as insightful as I did......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Baden-Powell,_1st_Baron_Baden-Powell

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2017, 08:18:09 AM »
Yeoman's reference to Robert Baden-Powell and his association with the scouting movement piqued my curiosity about his beliefs on how the organization should be structured.  I learned some things I didn't know.....for one thing, I have been pronouncing his name incorrectly all my life. :P

Some of you may find this Wiki article to be as insightful as I did......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Baden-Powell,_1st_Baron_Baden-Powell

Good stuff Bud,  I read the whole thing and didn't see any suggestion the Powell believed in Co-ed Scouting,  he did (to his credit at the time) encourage young women to enter scouting by initiating the Girl Scouts, but he didn't seem bent on making the Boy Scouts a unisex organization.