Author Topic: what did you have for dinner?  (Read 94609 times)

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
what did you have for dinner?
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »
just got done eating a fine meal, and thought of a cheesy topic you guys may like. Share what you just had for dinner. post pics if you got em...

i had spaghetti with homemade meatballs, garlic bread, and salad. no pics, too tasty
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: what did you have for dinner?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »
Got off the river paddlin' with Swamphanger and Yellowyak.  Swamp directed us to Catfish Johnnies.  Ate the hell outa catfish, gator, froglegs, cheese grits, and corndodgers.  Daaaaaaaaaaaamn!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:00:57 PM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Got off the river paddlin' with Swamphanger and Yellowyak.  Swamp directed us to Catfish Johnnies.  Ate the hell outa catfish, gator, froglegs, cheese grits, and corndodgers.  Daaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Wow.

When you guys aren't challenging yourselves and eating wild oranges, you eat GOOD! ;)

Oh, edit, hehe: I grilled a burger and some summer squash on my little Weber hibachi thingy.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
Grilled deer loin wrapped in bacon and tomatoes fresh from the garden.  A freshly butchered pineapple for dessert. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
Our favorite Japanese restaurant tonight.  Too much good stuff to try to list.  Always a big bill, but always excellent.  And of course, the hot sake is always good, too!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 07:29:41 PM »
Fried risotto rice balls with a goat cheese center and a honey balsamic drizzle on top. Than an oyster PO' boy and a chocolate raspberry torte for dessert.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
Pork chops on the grille with McCormick's pork rub, fresh green beans with beef bouillon and seasoned salt, and mashed taters.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:50:31 AM »

Last night we had pan fried Cod fillets and fresh wild Salmon steak marinated for an hour in a marinade of fine diced tomato, light olive oil, a Tbsp. of lemon juice, salt & pepper, and a pinch each of dried Basil and parsley,  then placed in a foil packet with the marinade poured over the top,  sealed and baked at 375 for 35 minutes.
   For sides we had mashed potatoes w/a little onion and garlic,  and some steamed broccoli & cauliflower floweretts with butter, salt, and pepper.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 03:42:10 AM »
breakfast for dinner, my personal favorite.

the girls and i shared pancakes, 6 slices of bacon, and 10 homegrown scrambled eggs with cheese, all cooked in cast iron, delicious!
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
Complimentary sesame chicken with egg rolls and fried rice at a hotel.  :D

It wasn't great, but it beats paying more for dinner. I have been travelling for work the past week.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
Home made BBQ pulled pork/cole slaw sandwiches with garden fresh cucumber/onion/tomato/pepper in sour cream for a salad.
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
"taco salad"

fritos, hamburger meat, pinto beans, cheese, sour cream and hot sauce. simple and good. great on the trail too, one of my favorites when solo camping

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Corn beef hash, couple eggs, and toast. Sometimes dinner is breakfast. ;)
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »
Last night was homemade chicken barley vegetable soup.
I stocked the carcass on Saturday evening and used the broth to make the soup on Monday (head of garlic, two onions, bunch of chopped carrots, chopped red/orange/yellow peppers, 2 cups of cooked barley and some various other leftovers.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
Ribs sweet taters and yellow neck squash and onions.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
oreos... don't judge me

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
Long as you had milk!

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
smoked corned beef served with a homemade fork

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »
 :drool:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »
Nothing so good as that corned beef... :drool:

We had Popeye's though, which is really a treat for Utah.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
Tonight was a steak I sliced off a prime rib back around Easter.  Gotta love a vacuum packager!  This one was big enough for both of us plus lunch tomorrow.  Some 'tater salad Liz made yesterday for a football party and some sauteed mushrooms and onions made a fine meal.  Sorry, no pics of the rest of the stuff, but that's a platter, not a plate, the steak is on.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
Saturday night my wife fixed a venison roast with broiled potatoes and a salad.  With what was left of the roast we will make a meat and potato stew.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:18 AM »
Roast beef, taters, onions, carrots.  All simmered in the crock pot all day. yuuuummm
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline pgallagher6

• Vendor
  • Whetstone +
    • BestBushcraftKnife.com
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »
A pile of spinach leaves with baked chicken thighs shredded atop.  Big ol' avacado + onions.  Loved it.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
cast iron pizza last night. nothing crazy hard but it was tasty

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
Sandwich made from good thick-cut bacon, toasted 12-grain bread and LOADS of great tasting, fresh tomatoes from our GARDEN out at the farm!  :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 10:38:42 PM »
Pulled beef on homemade bread, potato salad, bean salad, and carrot cake desert.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »
Plain fried hamburger on plain wheat bread and a pickle.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
what did you have for dinner?
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 04:13:02 AM »
I rolled some California rolls with leftover rice from Thur. My son was not feeling well though and was bummed he couldn't eat.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »

Tonight,  red & green bell peppers and plenty of onions sauted with fresh sweet Italian sausage,  add a little salt,pepper, sweet paprika, a dash of Worcestershire sauce,  and a dash of Cholula,  put it on a Hughie roll,  open a beer,  YUMMMM.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
pot roast, potatoes, biscuits, and brocolli. oh, and an ice cold woodchuck to wash it all down.

after it was all over, i went to the garage and cut my toe with an axe. don't leave sharps on the floor folks.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
Ouch, Bighat.. didja need stitches? 

I forgot to eat supper tonight so I just had a snack of toast with apricot jam and a big ol' glass of cold milk a few mins ago. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 02:33:20 AM »
Nope, just grazed it. But it bled profusely...

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »

I bet blood wasn't the only thing flowing profusely.  ;)

And last night I just grazed in the kitchen for a few hours eating whatever I grabbed.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
Bighat, I'm glad you didn't need stitches.  That woulda really sucked.   I suppose your bumping that wounded foot many times today..  :( 

Wilderbeast..is that what its called?  Grazing?   I like that term.  :)   The other day I had 4 olives, a radish, half a bratwurst with a glob of mustard on it and haunted the cupboards for something sweet...  ahh..  butterscotch chips... :)   Grazing complete. :) 

WW

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »

I bet blood wasn't the only thing flowing profusely.  ;)

And last night I just grazed in the kitchen for a few hours eating whatever I grabbed.

you've been camping with me before, i have a pretty clean mouth, for a sailor ;)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »
Worst frozen pizza EVER yesterday!  I'm grilling meat tonight!!!!!!
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
Sheppard's pie cooking up everything now. Then throw that thing in the oven covered with some cheese.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 07:42:27 PM »
Fried chicken wings with a big ol' pile of chopped garden fresh tomatoes on the side.   Yellow cake with chocolate frosting and a cuppa coffee. :)

WW.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »
Fried chicken wings with a big ol' pile of chopped garden fresh tomatoes on the side.   Yellow cake with chocolate frosting and a cuppa coffee. :)

WW.

Now that's some fine eating,  two of my favorite foods,  I do my wings in the oven,  fresh picked tomatoes are hard to beat no matter how they're served.   
                                                                                            :thumbsup:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
Moe, I fried them up in the cast iron chicken fryer and when they are nice and browned I will toss in a little bit of water and slow cook for half an hour.  Fall apart tender , which is the way hubby likes em. :) 

What did you have for supper? :)  I like reading your menu's.. they always sound so good.

WW.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
Moe, I fried them up in the cast iron chicken fryer and when they are nice and browned I will toss in a little bit of water and slow cook for half an hour.  Fall apart tender , which is the way hubby likes em. :) 

What did you have for supper? :)  I like reading your menu's.. they always sound so good.

WW.

We just had leftovers,  I'm used to cooking for a big family,  when the kids moved out and there was just the two of us at home it took a while for me too adjust to just how much to cook,  but every couple of days one of the kids or grand kids will show up at dinner time,  so I always try to figure a bit more just in case,  every few days I get lazy or tired and don't cook,  so I call a graze night and we see what's in the fridge that ain't fuzzy, green, or moving,  and that's what we have.   :)
   Last night we found a couple of oven fried drumsticks,  some American chop-soui,  some peppers,onions, and sweet sausage, I had a mixed bag plate,  Pauline had a veggie tray with some Cabot's Sharp Cheddar,  thin sliced hard sausage,  and roasted onion crackers.

Question for you on the chicken wings,  I don't deep fry much of anything any more,  It's just too much work,  that said,  I do oven fry,  and I pan fry,  I always used a stove top dutch oven to deep fry in ( I got a new fangled deep fryer with a brain,  but it uses about a gallon of oil at a wack, I used it once and put it away),  but I'm getting the sense that your not talking about deep frying,  adding water to a lot of hot oil is not a good thing to do.
  I'm assuming that you're dusting the chicken with flour and frying it in about a 1/2" of oil in the bottom of your cast iron skillet ?
  I love's fried chicken,  but for some reason it never turns out as great as it should, how about walking us through your recipe and method ?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
Nope.. I don't even dust them.  I just put about 1/4 inch of oil at the bottom lay the folded wings in it , fry till brown, flip over, fry again til brown and then throw in about 1/4 cup of water and put on the lid, turn the heat down to low and just let them simmer.  They are not crispy, but nicely browned.  The juice at the bottom is thick and with a tad bit of flour added makes a great gravy.  Hubby likes to put gravy on the meat. 

I'll do something very simular but instead of water added I'll just toss in a can of pineapple chunks and soy sauce and let them simmer that way.   If I have one of those stir fry meal in a bag things I'll toss that in too.   Cover and let them simmer.

That cast iron chicken combo cooks the most tender  meat just set on low. 

I do do a lot of deep frying.  Hubby's crave is home made french fries and chicken nuggets so we have them often. 

WW.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
my wife just said we'll be eating homemade bread bowls with broccoli soup. i'll try to post pics.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
Oh my gosh, Bighat..that sounds soooooo goooooood.... I love broccoli soup. :)

Here it was soft taco's and a piece of cake from last night.

WW.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »
it was good. the bread bowls didn't really rise and turn into bowls, so no pics. but it was TASTY!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
Quail eggs fried and bacon.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
Waffles and bacon.  Maple syrup.
(Mark Twain)

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Quail eggs fried and bacon.

Saw your pic of the quail eggs the other day and thought, "Yeah, about 10 or 15 those would be about right."   :P

Eggs and bacon always hit the spot.

Offline Trkbusa06

• Whetstone +
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
Sweet peppers, French beans, red potatoes and shiitake chunks