Author Topic: what did you have for dinner?  (Read 95387 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: what did you have for dinner?
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Before leaving for work yesterday my wife suggested we have clam chowder for supper.  Sounded good!  :drool:     I agreed to dice all the potatoes, chop the onions & celery, grate a carrot, dice and saute the bacon right before she got home. O:-)    She was going to put it altogether when she got in, while I took a shower.  :stir: 

Everything was ready to go when I got back to the kitchen! :thumbsup:   Then she went to the pantry to retrieve the clams.....NO CLAMS!   The only grocery store was closed in town and too late to go to the 'city'....BUMMER!  :'(

We're not sure what it was we ate, but we ate it anyway. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »
Sounds like makings for some pretty decent potato soup to me!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »
Sounds like makings for some pretty decent potato soup to me!
That's what WE called it, too. :P :P

Offline rtaylor129

• Whetstone +
  • Banned
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
I just had an awesome seafood salad!
Banned for trying to scam members and lying.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »
Love me some tater soup wolfy, crumble that bacon on top Mm mm good
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »
Hey yall remember me?  Oink.  :)

Home made chicken n dumplins

And my first homebrewed beer.  I call it Brown Coat Ale

Mmmmmmmmm
OINK!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2014, 01:19:57 AM »
I'd love to hear how you made the chicken and dumplings.. they look awesomely good...

And yes..  I remember you.... :P

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »
We had crock pot chicken with mashed potatoes and tomato slices.  Oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
  Pote' Chinois,  (Shepherds Pie in English)  done the French Canadian way, one pound of browned and crumpled hamburger cooked with fine diced celery and onions, salt and pepper,   add two cans of Creamed styled corn,  mix the meat and corn together in a baking dish and top with a one inch layer of mashed pototoes,  bake in a 350* oven for about thirty minutes or until the corn gets bubbly.
  Let cool for about ten minutes and serve with cranberry sauce on the side and some fresh bread and butter.
    And some of Smoke Walkers depression area chocolate cake for dessert.     :drool:

This is pure comfort food, especially on those cold nights.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2014, 01:09:54 PM »
  Pote' Chinois,  (Shepherds Pie in English)  done the French Canadian way, one pound of browned and crumpled hamburger cooked with fine diced celery and onions, salt and pepper,   add two cans of Creamed styled corn,  mix the meat and corn together in a baking dish and top with a one inch layer of mashed pototoes,  bake in a 350* oven for about thirty minutes or until the corn gets bubbly.
  Let cool for about ten minutes and serve with cranberry sauce on the side and some fresh bread and butter.
    And some of Smoke Walkers depression area chocolate cake for dessert.     :drool:

Sounds good, and slightly familiar from my yute... 8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »

Sounds good, and slightly familiar from my yute... 8)

From the movie "My cousin Vinny",  What's a Yute ?    :lol:

I'm always amused and befuddled when folks talk about shepherds pie as having different meats and veggies in it and topped with a pastry crust,  it just ain't right.   
                                                                                                       :shrug: :lol:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2014, 08:58:05 AM »
Me too! 

Yeah, like you blend.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
Chicken, dressing, green beans, and mashed potatoes.  Lots of  :coffee:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
Chicken, dressing, green beans, and mashed potatoes.  Lots of  :coffee:

YUMMMMMM !

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2014, 10:29:29 AM »
Night before last, for my 'special' birthday supper, we had drop biscuits made from the FLOUR BARREL recipe and sausage gravy made from Jimmy Dean pork sausage tweaked with a BAM of Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. :drool:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
Night before last, for my 'special' birthday supper, we had drop biscuits made from the FLOUR BARREL recipe and sausage gravy made from Jimmy Dean pork sausage tweaked with a BAM of Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. :drool:

Sounds like a great supper for an almost seventy year old Geezer,  I hope your were wearing your bib,  that sausage gravy dries funny on the front of farmer overalls.    :drool:    :cheers:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

Sounds like a great supper for an almost seventy year old Geezer,  I hope your were wearing your bib,  that sausage gravy dries funny on the front of farmer overalls.    :drool:    :cheers:
:lol: I have to admit that my built-in bib got tossed into the laundry basket that night! :-[

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
  We just had baking powder biscuits & sausage Country gravy for breakfast on Monday. I used all generic items to make the stuff,  but it came out mighty fine! Prolly not as good as your makings, but we tolerated ours right well. That is some good stuff, & sticks to the ribs. I try to make it a couple times a month.
;D

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »

:lol: I have to admit that my built-in bib got tossed into the laundry basket that night! :-[

You are a good sport my friend,   :thumbsup:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »
  We just had baking powder biscuits & sausage Country gravy for breakfast on Monday. I used all generic items to make the stuff,  but it came out mighty fine! Prolly not as good as your makings, but we tolerated ours right well. That is some good stuff, & sticks to the ribs. I try to make it a couple times a month.
;D

One of my favorite breakfasts,  I make drop biscuits with flour and stone ground cornmeal seasoned with a little onion powder and bacon fat,  and make the gravy with what ever is rendered from the bacon or sausage that I'm having at the time.
   A couple of days ago I was out of both,  but there's always a couple of tins of Spam in the pantry  :drool:,  that worked just as well.
   I keep a mason jar of bacon fat in the fridge for making biscuits (bear fat is scarce lately).

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »
   It is good to hear that I am not the only one that saves & keeps the bacon fat in a container in the fridge to use later , rather than throwing it out.
;D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2014, 05:29:09 PM »
   It is good to hear that I am not the only one that saves & keeps the bacon fat in a container in the fridge to use later , rather than throwing it out.
;D

That there is soft gold JB,  it's got so many uses in cooking,  and the stuff never goes rancid as long as it's kept cold,  I've had this jar in the fridge for well over a year now and just keep taking some out or pouring some in ( I strain it through cheese cloth).

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
Going to have pot roast tonight. Comfort food at it's finest!

There's onion, celery, mushrooms and garlic hiding underneath. ;)

Later this week... Jambalaya!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
Have a turkey in the smoker for supper and lunch the rest of the week. Gotta love those turkey sales after the holidays.

Forgot the sides. Fresh collards and some carrots.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2014, 03:07:50 PM »
Have a turkey in the smoker for supper and lunch the rest of the week. Gotta love those turkey sales after the holidays.

Forgot the sides. Fresh collards and some carrots.

+1 on that!
:thumbsup:

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »
I did a beef stew with carrots, potatoes and a thick gravy and whole wheat rolls. A glass of pinot noire and leftover birthday cake.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »
Braised lamb cooked with carrots, tomatoes,  and onions. All served on some orzo pasta.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »
I'd love to hear how you made the chicken and dumplings.. they look awesomely good...

And yes..  I remember you.... :P

WW

I'll make a thread soon and tag you in it.
OINK!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »
Pretty simple but it sure did hit the spot for both of us.  Buttermilk cornbread and fried cabbage:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
Ooh.. I just bought some buttermilk, care to share your recipe?  :)    And if I dig deep in crisper I just might find some cabbage too. 

A & W for supper tonight.   Close to hospital and no cooking when I get home. :)  Chicken basket and strawberry shake.  I do like their coleslaw.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
Our landlord recently had one of his old chicken houses torn down. He let the wife and I pick out the best cinder blocks and we built a 'redneck' fire pit thingy. Just stacked the blocks in a rectangle and also added a small 'stove' made from stacked bricks as well. It ain't purty, but it works!

Son-in-law gave us some venison strips and we had them, along with baked taters for supper tonight. Saturday night we 'baptised' the pit with some chuck burger patties to break it in. yum!
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline Duece111

• Whetstone +
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2014, 05:49:56 AM »
Homemade chilli made eith ground moose,damn it was good,only problem was the gogantic drool spot on my pants from my dogs while i was eating lol

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
Green chili over rice.  No pics, it was all eaten.   :(
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »
Just had pizza for lunch.

I made the dough last night, and let it age in the fridge overnight. It really develops a great flavor if you give it time to ferment.

Here it is ready to go in the oven. I used a "pizza blend" cheese that had mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar in it. The sauce was regular marinara from a jar, to which I added a little fennel seed. It was topped with finely chopped bell pepper and thinly sliced onions, and pepperoni.

I also brushed the edge of the crust with a little olive oil to help brown it. My crusts used to come out bone white. This is quite a bit of an improvement, and it was a lot crisper on the outside. Next time I will brush the entire crust from edge to edge before adding the sauce. Here it is right out of the oven.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
That looks very good , PW !   :)     I made up a dough about a month ago and divvied it up into 8 smallish balls.   Froze them and have really liked just grabbing one ball..thaw and make a smallish 8 inch pizza for the toaster oven.   I too like to brush the edges to brown better. 

WW.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »
Tonight it was salmon, grilled and then served on a big mixed green salad, with tomatoes, olives, Feta cheese and flat bread.  I made a dressing with Fresh orange juice and a decent Italian Balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and my  herb mix.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »
Ribeyes............ ..big ones!  School teacher son is in town for a few days while he's on spring break so wanted to do something a little special.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:40:16 PM by imnukensc »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
Ribeyes..............big ones!  School teacher is son is in town for a few days while he's on spring break so wanted to do something a little special.

From what I'm reading, seeing on the news, and seeing in the meat cases, by the end of summer that's going to be more than something a LITTLE special! :doh:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
That's what I'm seeing/reading, too, wolfy  These were actually cut off a standing rib roast (prime rib) I bought back in December when they were on sale for $6.50/lb.  I bought several roasts, cut steaks off, vacuum packaged them all, and stuck'em in the freezer.  As long as I don't lose electricity for any significant amount of time, I'm set for steak for quite a while.  Heck, Liz and I can make three meals out of just one of those big boys.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
Another ribeye tonight done on the little Webber grill along with some mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter with plenty of salt and pepper.

Damn, boy!  I think you burned it!!!

Well, maybe not :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
Damn!  I just got home from the farm.....only thing I could find was a frickin' hotdog. >:(

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »
Eggs over easy on corn tortillas with lots of hot salsa.

(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
Dang, Stan.  That sounds better than what we had!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
A shake with a cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 of a orange, 1/2 of a banana and a powdered multi vitamin mix...
Delicious... and that's why @ 42 I'm healthy and weigh 160# ;)

And can still drink all the beer I want :lol:

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
Dang, Stan.  That sounds better than what we had!

I don't know about that, I was droolin' over that meal you showed.  Nothing like a good steak and a little salt.
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »

Made some Fetuccini Alfredo from scratch tonight (well, the sauce anyway), and some bacon wrapped filet mignon.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2014, 08:21:59 AM »
Pot-Roast...Steaks...pizza...Rib-eyes...Dumplins...Corn-bead ...Bacon wrapped Filet....Damn! you boys are eating good  :drool:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
Nice presentation! :thumbsup:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
Another shake tonight, but I plan on having a big ol' steak or two while I'm up in the smokey ' hills' ;)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!