Author Topic: Harvesting Pitchpine (Fatwood) from Pine trees  (Read 6107 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Harvesting Pitchpine (Fatwood) from Pine trees
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »
   Duke & I went out in some woods yesterday & harvested some Pitch pine (Fatwood) from some pine trees. Since some folks might not know you don't need to find a dead stump to get some pitchpine/fatwood. Most all older pines have it in the lower dead/broken off branches, even if the tree is still alive. I also included a little tip about using pine cones for fire & resin, for those who might not know about how you can utilize them also.

Here is a short video about our harvesting:

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
Re: Harvesting Pitchpine (Fatwood) from Pine trees
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Great tips.  It never occurred to me to check the old branch ends.  We always looked for stumps now i learned something new.  Oh yeah, we call it lighter wood in NC, or at least that's what my dad and uncle called it.  Thanks again for the video!!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »

Great tips.  It never occurred to me to check the old branch ends.  We always looked for stumps now i learned something new.  Oh yeah, we call it lighter wood in NC, or at least that's what my dad and uncle called it.  Thanks again for the video!!
Thanks ncnurseryman!
:)

No need to just look all thru the piney woods for a pitchpine/fatwood "tree stump", & just pass by stuff that is right there for the taking, & doesn't hurt the tree one bit to harvest..
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »
Hah...I no longer have to wait for this pine tree to die and fall over.  :)   Thank you MnSport...I'm on a mission to go check out the dead branches and pine cones laying in my front yard. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 06:31:56 AM »
I really like using the very thin last 4 inches or so off the dead branch tips. Smaller pines still have the branches connected. I like to utilize one full branch per fire.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:57:21 AM »
Hah...I no longer have to wait for this pine tree to die and fall over.  :)   Thank you MnSport...I'm on a mission to go check out the dead branches and pine cones laying in my front yard. 

WW.

You are welcome, WW! I figured some folks were not aware that you could do these things without looking for a stump. Doesn't always work on younger trees, but it does most of the time on older ones with the broken/dead branches.
Glad to have helped.

I really like using the very thin last 4 inches or so off the dead branch tips. Smaller pines still have the branches connected. I like to utilize one full branch per fire.

Pines are pretty useful if we think on it, From the roots to the tip top & all between. Food, cordage, fire, etc..
;)

Offline offtrail

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
I love pine pitch and fatwood, some good sources of pine pitch. Just keep your eyes opened when tree trimming time comes around. City parks, Ball parks. hospitals you name it ,keep the trees trimmed. When they do make a note of the location and come back a couple weeks later. The pine pitch will be at the point of the trimmed branches. Sometimes a lot of pitch you will find, other times not so much. So remember if you live in the city you can still find plenty of pine pitch.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
Good tip.....Many ways to gather fat wood.
Pays to be resourceful and pay attention at all times......never know when treasure presents it self.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline offtrail

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »
Pays to be resourceful and pay attention at all times......never know when treasure presents it self.
That seems to be the trick to many aspects of life, keep your eyes opened and pay attention. That's it in a nut shell.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
That seems to be the trick to many aspects of life, keep your eyes opened and pay attention. That's it in a nut shell.

LOL that's right....kinda throws people off when you see something driving down the road...slam on the breaks jump out and pick a plant or pick up a tool.....
And fills your pockets with all sorts of treasures......and you head with all sorts of "Oh, lookie here-s"
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »
Some great, useful tips there, Mn. I'll be sure to utilize 'em next time I'm getting a fire going.  :)
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »
My son and I did a little woods walking and I showed him the tip you shared on the pine branch stubs.  We looked around and sure enough found some that had that high pitch smell.  They sure did light up quick and easy.

Offline offtrail

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 06:45:49 AM »

LOL that's right....kinda throws people off when you see something driving down the road...slam on the breaks jump out and pick a plant or pick up a tool.....
And fills your pockets with all sorts of treasures......and you head with all sorts of "Oh, lookie here-s"
I've done that very thing, wonder what people are thinking when they see me look at pine trees and scraping something in to a coffee cup...funny!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
I love pine pitch and fatwood, some good sources of pine pitch. Just keep your eyes opened when tree trimming time comes around. City parks, Ball parks. hospitals you name it ,keep the trees trimmed. When they do make a note of the location and come back a couple weeks later. The pine pitch will be at the point of the trimmed branches. Sometimes a lot of pitch you will find, other times not so much. So remember if you live in the city you can still find plenty of pine pitch.

It is a good tip. Particularly for those who may not have a lot of pine trees or wilderness to find pitchpine/fat wood & the pitch.
:thumbsup:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »

LOL, very true! I am glad to see thatI'm not alone in doin that.
;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »
Some great, useful tips there, Mn. I'll be sure to utilize 'em next time I'm getting a fire going.  :)

Thanks man! Glad to help out when I can.
-----------------------------
My son and I did a little woods walking and I showed him the tip you shared on the pine branch stubs.  We looked around and sure enough found some that had that high pitch smell.  They sure did light up quick and easy.

Great! Glad to have helped & I think it is wonderful that you also showed your son! Passing on the knowledge is cool!
:thumbsup:
-----------------------------

And thanks to all for sharing the positive, & supporting comments!!
:D

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
Great video and tips. In my area turpentine was huge business. Hundreds of trees were cat-faced and resin collected. Lots of low knots were left on the trees from removed branches thus leaving some great fat lighter. Also super super prevalent around my area was using pine posts for field fencing. Obviously don't go tearing down someones fence posts but you may have some on your property that you don't even know about. On a lot of the trees, mainly old growth, you can see resin dripping off. I have been experimenting with making pine pitch (mixed results) and it is incredibly useful. But I think there are way more experienced folks here as far as that goes.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 05:53:52 PM »
  Thanks pete!

I am not the only one to ever harvest by getting the pitchpine from the lower branches. I am sure it has been done for many many years, but I decided to show it here at B&B in case folks didn't know about it not being all that hard to find. I know there have been videos made before the one I made also, but at the time, I was thinking about gathering some more for myself since I had used my stash & given most of the rest I had gathered before, away to other folks. So, at the time, I thought to take the time to video & share what I was doing that day.

As far as making glue & other uses for the pitch. The stuff is pretty sticky on its' own, but I know what I do when I make it, & it involves mixing in some powdered deer or rabbit "scat" and charcoal. But others use ground up dead grass or other items. To each their own, I guess. I agree it is useful to use & to know how to make it.
 ;)

As a matter of fact, If ya wanted, since I don't think there is any topics about making pitch pine glue on B&B yet, ( have to search to be sure) you could start a topic on your experiences in your making of the stuff & share what ya know with others. I think that would be a good topic to share & I will try to be involved if one is made. Or, if ya like, I can start one, & you can share when ya find the time. I think it would be an informative subject for some folks ,anyway.

Well, glad ya enjoyed the video, & took the time to share your thoughts!

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
Wow thank you! It may take a few days as I have plenty of material to make it but am short on scat but I believe I have some tallow around somewhere. It may take a day or two to build another strainer as I use empty soup cans and tuna cans and large vegetable cans. Please note that I have only tried the process twice and it was not my design. I definitely don't want to take credit away from the person who created it. The second batch I made I turned into hockey puck pieces. I used a 3oz dixie cup for molds. I'll try to get it on picture here in the next few days.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »
  Cool! Looking forward to it.

Offline Pdimond

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 09:42:11 PM »
Where is a good spot in Minnesota twin cities area to find fatwood?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 04:27:31 AM »
Stumps are a good place to start. ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 08:36:59 AM »

Where is a good spot in Minnesota twin cities area to find fatwood?

I don't hang out in the TC area much. I am more inclined to spend my time in the country, so I don't think I can answer your question specifically. If you watched the video & read some of the posts in this topic, you will find that you can get fatwood just about anywhere you find older pines with lower branches(knobs/stobs) that have been broken or chopped off & left to sit for a few weeks to months to years. Over time the resins accumulate in those spots due to the tree trying to seal off insects & fungi from attacking the tree at weak spots. Places where the Pine trees have been trimmed back by crews, like powerline alleys, parks, cemeteries, & along roads can be productive. You can also go down to the Mississippi & Minnesota rivers & walk the lands along the river to find pines. You are likely to see more pines to the North side of the cities, rather than South due to the deciduous woods are more common South & piney woods North.

Yes , stumps are good, and usually give a lot of fatwood, but are harder to find. Breaking the stobs off of where lower hanging branches are, like shown in the video, is easier & more common to find quickly. You can gather as you go, rather than looking for one particular spot. BUt if you find stands of pines you will usually end up finding pitchpine/fatwood/lighterwood.

I was tempted to answer your question with a snarky answer like, "At Menards in the lawn & garden section or where they have the grilling & fire place tools & stuff. But, I decided to be nice today. LOL ;)

Good luck in your search. Get out in the woods. It is healthy for ya.
 ;)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
Quote>MnS
 I was tempted to answer your question with a snarky answer like, "At Menards in the lawn & garden section or where they have the grilling & fire place tools & stuff. But, I decided to be nice today. LOL ;)

LOL that isn't "real" fatwood....or so sayth some "experts"....but can't resist when it's on sale for $2 bucks for 4 pounds.....
Then again, maybe I'm not a real "Bushcraft-er.........and some one must have made those cheap POS.....
Lights and burns just fine....

But I digress.....

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 10:50:36 PM »
Quote>MnS

LOL that isn't "real" fatwood....or so sayth some "experts"....but can't resist when it's on sale for $2 bucks for 4 pounds.....
Then again, maybe I'm not a real "Bushcraft-er.........and some one must have made those cheap POS.....
Lights and burns just fine....

But I digress.....

I would not know about whether it is "real" or not, as I have never bought a stick/sliver of pitchpine in my life. I am not an expert either. I am just a feller who likes being in the woods & advocates that others get out there too.
 ;)

The reason why I even mentioned it being at Menards was that someone here(B&B) at one time said, you can buy it at Menards & because the question asked about the "Where is a good spot" in the TwinCities area, is such a large area, that trying to be specific about what might be a "good spot" struck me as a bit funny. Menards stores are all around the TC area, so it came to mind.  Anyway... The "good spots" are in the woods, and/or wherever you can find the pines, IMO. LOL
 ;)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »
Don't give up on pine cones either.  I use 3 pine cones wrapped in a sheet of newspaper to start my forge all the time.  It helps if they have opened up, though.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver