Vendor Forums > Redneck Knives

Heat Treat

(1/9) > >>

Red:
Just got done doing a blade, and thought I would try something different with the forge. Had a firepit full of charcoal, so I threw a few scoops in to see what would happen. Much to my surprise, I just hit 63.5HRC on O1 tool steel. It's the hardest I have been able to get it with the method I use. I am following my normal recipe, so we will see what an hour does at 400 in the oven...

:thumbsup:

upthecreek:
That right there is cool. I don't care who you are. Will be interesting as to the reading after temper. Maybe you should use this blade as a pass around so we can build a data base! If you make it too hard it will break ya know...

Creek  :chopwood:

Red:

--- Quote from: upthecreek on January 10, 2015, 03:52:42 PM ---That right there is cool. I don't care who you are. Will be interesting as to the reading after temper. Maybe you should use this blade as a pass around so we can build a data base! If you make it too hard it will break ya know...

Creek  :chopwood:

--- End quote ---

I know, that's what I am worried about. I may have to do a second temper at 450 if it comes in too high. 400 usually drops me 2 points, so I may just have to change my method if this is consistent. I will post the results after its done. And I may just pass this one around, as it is my revised bushcrafter. Subtle changes make big differences, and I would be curious to see what everyone thought of this new blade. :thumbsup:

wolfy:
Maybe you're getting some extra carbon from the wood charcoal.....I've read that it's a possibility. :shrug:

lgm:
Will you draw back the temper on the spine? Might help with a blade that hard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version