Vendor Forums > Redneck Knives

Tip Torture Test

(1/5) > >>

Red:
Yeah, it broke.. but that was kinda the point :P (no pun intended :D )
Make sure you switch the thingy to HD :thumbsup: And sorry, my body cam mic sucks... adjust volume as needed.

PetrifiedWood:
Cool video! It definitely took a beating. You mentioned 1095 needing a faster quench than O1. I concur. When I was making the strikers the first numbered batch were oil quenched O1. The next batch were 1095 and I tried oil quenching and they weren't getting hard enough to spark. I started quenching in warm water (much faster than oil) and that made them hard enough to throw massive sparks.

I used the straight across grind method you described and it does result in a gradual increase in edge angle towards the tip. But I did it more for the sake of convenience than by purposeful design. I have drilled every hearth board so far just like in the video though! :D

As for the tip snapping, I would bet that probably 85% or more of every knife you can buy in a store would snap its tip under those conditions. You run into physics and there is a limit to what even tool steel can withstand. Tip geometry plays a part, but most knives are not built with someone trying to snap the tip on purpose in mind. Most experienced knife users could use that knife for a lifetime without subjecting it to those conditions. I'd have no reservations against carrying it as my only knife.

trentu:
Very well done test! I'm with PW on the percentage of knife tips withstanding that test. As long as it survives drilling then that's a good tip. I have had good screwdrivers bust opening a can of paint so it is pretty much using the right tool for the right job. I think you got the heat treat spot on as demonstrated with the side impact stress test.

MnSportsman:
  Pretty cool video, Red! I was chuckling with you & the "sword in the stone" comment.
:D

As was said... Most folks wouldn't be that harsh on their knives, but it was cool to see that you were checking on your quality control & some of what ya do to make sure your getting out a quality knife.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!
:)

Yeoman:
Cool vid.
I thought using water for a quench didn't work because of the formation of a steam barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version