Outings > River Rats

Canoe suggestions

(1/6) > >>

upthecreek:
I'm looking for a new canoe. The Wenonah heron has caught my eye. It is short but 2 seats. Seems manageable as a solo as well and is fairly light weight. I need something that is easier to manage by myself when Karen and I go out. The green bean is about 80 lbs and I need something lighter. HELP.

Creek

wsdstan:
We had a Wenonah 17' Wenonah model for a time.  Construction and materials were top notch.  It was a pretty good river canoe and we used it on several western Montana rivers with good results.  It turned well and was stable unless overloaded.  The Heron looks to be a good design for about anything short of hauling really large loads.   

The last few years we have had a 14' two person canoe and only use it on the reservoir on our farm so my experience with it in moving water is nil.  I can tell you that the 14' canoe is adequate for two people fishing and paddling around the reservoir and the lighter 16' Wenonah would be better in all regards.  I like the layout of the basic model better than the Kevlar models (simply the lack of the aluminum cross pieces) but that 36 pounder would be a joy to have.

madmax:
You can hardly go wrong with a Wenonah.  The Heron looks good for what you say you're looking for.  Less weight.  Day tripping tandem.  Maybe solo overnight (Just sit in the bow seat backwards).  Store out of the sun.  36" width will be stable.  No blue ribbons at the local races but  that's not what you're looking for.  It certainly won't be behind the pack!

I've been jonsin' for a Wenonah for years.

wolfy:
I'm still saving that Kevlar Wenonah Solo Advantage for you, Tony.  :canoe:      Stop by at your earliest convenience. ;D

xj35s:
Okay, not the answer you're looking for but hear me out. You know I'm a cheap S.O.B.!!!

There is a proven method of building very cheap and extremely tough long lasting boats out of foam. This is the newest method called PMF, Or Poor Man's Fiberglass.

Do I have you're attention yet?

Here's the process short and simple. gorilla glue your layers of 2" pink foam together. Shape it in the desired hull design. Coat the whole thing with tightbond II diluted 50% with water. Lay your cotton bed sheets on there and squeegee the air pockets from the center out. Let it cure then paint it your favorite color. Now it's finished go play.

I'm trying to design a camper shell using this method. I want ti to be double use as a stand alone cabin in the back woods and a slide on for my car trailer for on the go camping.(with the wife)

At 7' wide, 8' tall, and 12' long will cost me $500. A small canoe should be less than $50 and about 5 hours build time.

Here's some proof of concept.

http://www.instructables.com/member/rowerwet/?show=INSTRUCTABLES

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=7afeafd9817658f4efe1203e443dfc71

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version