Bushlore Topics > Wilderness Survival

The Knife, the most important survival item 2.

<< < (2/2)

Moe M.:

--- Quote from: Spyder1958 on June 18, 2018, 04:55:00 PM ---Sounds cool Moe, glad your getting out and having fun. To damn hot here and work an life gets in the way. look forward to hearing your report.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Spyder, the weather around my parts has been pretty good heat wise, it's been a wet season so far so the fire danger is low, but the woods are really thick and green, the biggest deterrent for me is the deer ticks, but I use Permethrin on my clothes and Ben's or other repellent on exposed skin, I also had a pair of waxed cotton gaiters made up with tie strings top and bottom that keep the little bastages from getting up under my pant legs from my boots,  so far so good.
  Life does have a way of getting in the way, but I've been retired for the last eight years and that's half the battle I no longer worry about, I know some people who complain about being bored and feeling useless after they retire,  in my case I only regret not doing it sooner.   

Phaedrus:
My retirement plan is "die at work" but if I do manage to retire I can't imagine being bored! There's so much I still want to do.  Kudos to you for getting out and getting it done!

Moe M.:

--- Quote from: Phaedrus on June 20, 2018, 01:32:10 AM ---My retirement plan is "die at work" but if I do manage to retire I can't imagine being bored! There's so much I still want to do.  Kudos to you for getting out and getting it done!

--- End quote ---

LOL,  "Work" is a subjective word,  to most people work is a drudgery that one suffers in order to make enough money in order to be able to survive week to week and pay the bills,  a wise man once said "find something to do to make a living that you really like to do, and you'll never work another day in your life",  I believe that.
  When I was a kid I had several jobs that weren't a lot of fun, they were hot, sweaty, tiring jobs,  but when you're a kid and it's all that's available, you do it.
  Since those early days I've done quite a few things,  drove a fuel delivery truck, owned an autobody shop, a small novelty shop, I built a construction business that employed a dozen men, but as soon as they became boring I sold them and tried something different, I had a career in law enforcement, retired from that and went back to operating heavy equipment and driving construction dump trucks.
  I've been fortunate in my life to make a living doing what I enjoy,  as a rule the physical part of working didn't bother me and was most often enjoyable,  the part I didn't like about "work" is my time being owned by my employer five days a week for forty plus hours a week, that's what made the word "work" a four letter word for me.
  That first morning of my retirement when I climbed out of bed and realized that I didn't have to hurry to bath, make a lunch, and drive into "work", and then not have fight traffic in the afternoon commute is one I won't soon forget,  for the rest of my life my time would be mine.

Phaedrus:
My dad had a small construction company so I worked for him when I was a kid, like til I was 14.  Learned some stuff that's come in handy.  Most of my adult life I've worked as a chef and honestly there's nothing else I'd rather do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version