Bushlore Topics > Other Outdoor Gear

powder horn stopper

<< < (7/7)

wolfy:
I guess I kinda' knew that already, but thanks for the reaffirmation & support. :popcorn:

PetrifiedWood:

--- Quote from: wolfy on January 17, 2021, 07:57:56 PM ---It ain't a good idea, either.....main reason being, that if it's tied to the horn, you may forget to re-stopper the horn before firing the piece.  If that happens, especially with a flintlock & all the fireworks present when the lock fires....well, you can imagine the result if a stray spark sneaks into the open horn.  If you yank the untethered plug from the horn with your teeth and you forget to replace it....it will become readily apparent when you hoist the piece into the firing position and the plug gets in the way.  Don't believe it can happen?....I've seen it! :shocked:

The only bad part of this method is, that if you wear a beard you have to be careful not to get a stray whisker caught between the plug and the hole in the horn tip when you reinstall the plug.  I can tell you from personal experience that you will be more attentive to the possibility next time!  :lol:

--- End quote ---

Hehe, you paint a vivid picture with that description!

wolfy:

--- Quote from: PetrifiedWood on March 05, 2021, 09:55:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: wolfy on January 17, 2021, 07:57:56 PM ---It ain't a good idea, either.....main reason being, that if it's tied to the horn, you may forget to re-stopper the horn before firing the piece.  If that happens, especially with a flintlock & all the fireworks present when the lock fires....well, you can imagine the result if a stray spark sneaks into the open horn.  If you yank the untethered plug from the horn with your teeth and you forget to replace it....it will become readily apparent when you hoist the piece into the firing position and the plug gets in the way.  Don't believe it can happen?....I've seen it! :shocked:

The only bad part of this method is, that if you wear a beard you have to be careful not to get a stray whisker caught between the plug and the hole in the horn tip when you reinstall the plug.  I can tell you from personal experience that you will be more attentive to the possibility next time!  :lol:

--- End quote ---

Hehe, you paint a vivid picture with that description!

--- End quote ---

That major in English must be paying off for me then. :shrug: :rolleyes:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version