Vendor Forums > Crashblade Knives

Learning To Make A Knife

<< < (2/3) > >>

crashdive123:

--- Quote from: Old Philosopher on January 29, 2014, 09:11:15 PM ---I have a question, but not sure in which thread to ask.
Working with wood for years, I'm familiar with the whole "50-grit", "120-grit" step method of sanding. But working with metal is foreign territory for me, other than sharpening lawnmower blades, and shovels.  :P
There are all sorts of materials that are used as "grit" on belts and paper. Do you have a specific type of belt you use, or recommend?

--- End quote ---

There are a lot of choices for materials on belts.  For my 50 grit belts I use either ceramic or a 3M yellow belt with carbide (not positive on the material, but will find out).  For the rest I use aluminum oxide belts (sometimes ceramic).  They are not the greatest choice, but they are affordable.  At some point I do want to experiment with better quality belts.

To give you an idea on prices - I get the 50 grit ceramic belts for about $4 each, 50 grit "yellow" belts for $8 - $12 each, aluminum oxide belts for about $2 each.

Yellowyak:
Crash, thanks for such a generous offer. You're not too far up the road from some of us here, maybe a couple of us could car pool up there for one of the demonstration days.

crashdive123:

--- Quote from: Yellowyak on January 30, 2014, 05:16:05 AM ---Crash, thanks for such a generous offer. You're not too far up the road from some of us here, maybe a couple of us could car pool up there for one of the demonstration days.

--- End quote ---

Sounds great.  We have a meeting tonight that I'm going to try and make.  We should be setting the calendar for some things.  I'll post when I know.

crashdive123:
Our next demonstration day will be in March.  I'll get the exact date and details as soon as I can.  It will be in Baldwin (near intersection of 301 and 90).

crashdive123:
We had to move the March demonstration day.  Our next one will be April 12th.  It will be in the Baldwin area (a little west of Jacksonville).  We'll provide the hotdogs and chips.  If anybody is interested, send me a PM for the address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version