Bushlore Topics > Wilderness Survival

Heat Tolerance. Born or Bred?

(1/7) > >>

madmax:
Coming back from a summer of nights in the 50's days in the low 80's (maybe) to FL's heat indexes over 100,  I got to thinking.  Do you think heat tolerance is inborn (you have it or you don't) or can anyone acclimate?

jontok:
I believe it's about acclimatization. You actually see it all the time with the changing of the seasons.

imnukensc:
Acclimatization.  Grew up here in the midlands of SC where our weather is similar to Florida's.  We had no AC until I was in high school and that was just a window unit in Mom and Dad's bedroom.  No AC at school.  Worked outside all summer long.  Now I can't stand to be outside for very long in the summer and if I have to be, I try to do it in the morning or late evening.

Dano:
Being off work as long as I have, I know acclimatization has a lot to do with it for me.  I also think some folks withstand heat or cold better than others.  I can take the heat better than the cold, but know a guy who never wears a long sleeved shirt unless there's a wind chill index.  Get the temps over about 65-70 and he's dying.

Is there a lot of difference in elevation from where you were?  I wonder if that plays anything into it?

madmax:
Dano, it's only a couple thousand feet at most.  My wife (PE instructor) and I transition the climate change very quickly.  I know people who have lived in FL for decades that can't or won't tolerate being outside in the summer for more than a few minutes. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version