Author Topic: Life Changing Event  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Life Changing Event
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2017, 08:36:06 PM »
Yes I agree with you on the new vaper thing but from a cost effective standpoint I'd have to say an RBA or dripper is far moreso than the standard tanks. It is true that you can soak em in vodka or corn whiskey to clean em, and I have done so, however there is a limit there. I really only got a week to a months worth of extra burn time with the soak and dry method and after the second soak they taste horrid. Lol.

It is however doable especially when the drop in coils are large airflow and vertical in nature. My buddy laughed at me when I'd bought an el cheapo "tank" (bottom feeder, I think it was an "Arctic" tank) yet the .4 ohm dropins last me thrice as long as a fancier, more expensive top loading non rebuild able tank.
Blinding flash of the obvious: people use vodka or Everclear, or some other liquor because of the alcohol content.  But they still have water in them.  The solution is isopropyl alcohol. Not the denatured stuff from the grocery store, but straight alcohol from the pharmacy.  You can get a 99% pure alcohol for about $4/pt.  The alcohol loosens deposits on the coil, evaporates quickly so the cotton dries out in hours, not days, and leaves no residue.  Wet cotton never recovers. Cotton soaked in alcohol with regain its "fluff". 
The only thing about cleaning factory coils is that you can't clean the part of the coil that in next to the cotton effectively.  A cotton swab will clean the inside of the coil, but burned cotton and a burnt coil are pretty much used up.

It's taken me some experimentation, but basic electronics provided my answer.  A 0.5 Ohm coil, rated 30s-80w has a predictable life span.  The heat to create vapor is proportional to the wattage applied to it.  Think of it as running a 100w light bulb on a dimmer switch.  The lower the voltage supplied to the filament in the light, the longer the metal will last.  My "sweet spot" I've discovered is running a 0.5 Ohm coil around 28w-29w, even though it's rated 30-80w. 
Another factor is the type of metal in the coil.  Kanthal coils are like tinfoil, IMO.  I was changing/cleaning a coil every 4 days.  I switched to nickel, and my current coil is going on 2 weeks now. A more conductive metal at a lower wattage = longer life.  I've run this puppy up to 55w and it's like taking a hit on an old Erick cigar, if anyone remembers THOSE!
My flavor of choice is Black Licorice, hands down!  At a lower wattage, it's flavorful, mellow and satisfying.  My next jug will be 1.2%/12mg nicotine and hopefully after that I might go to 0% to finally break the habit.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
Also beware of fake hardware etc a lot of online vendors aren't particularly honest or sometimes aren't even aware that they're selling fakes since all the hardware near enough is built in China... avoid the dealxtreme type sites and stick with local places and decent vendors. Nothing a few Google searches of reviews cannot fix...not trying to be a know it all just trying to help out a few viewers on this thread who may be interested in other smoking cessation methods than the patch or just other substitutions which aren't much better...I had to laugh when I saw that there is "fake dip" that's made from coffee grounds...do people not realize that mouth cancer or tooth loss can result from holding anything acidic or alkaline against your gums?
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
Also beware of fake hardware etc a lot of online vendors aren't particularly honest or sometimes aren't even aware that they're selling fakes since all the hardware near enough is built in China... avoid the dealxtreme type sites and stick with local places and decent vendors. Nothing a few Google searches of reviews cannot fix...not trying to be a know it all just trying to help out a few viewers on this thread who may be interested in other smoking cessation methods than the patch or just other substitutions which aren't much better...I had to laugh when I saw that there is "fake dip" that's made from coffee grounds...do people not realize that mouth cancer or tooth loss can result from holding anything acidic or alkaline against your gums?
QFT!
Make sure you're getting your juice from a reputable source.  If you get into building your own coils, it's easy to mail order "mystery wire", and fake cotton, etc.

Along those same lines, be careful of what you see on-line, especially YouTube!  I watched a guy demonstrate how to "clean" a coil on an rebuildable coil unit.  He took out the cotton wick, hit the power until it was red hot, and then stuck it in a glass of water.   I think anyone here into metal working knows what happens when you quench hot metal. :lol:  :shocked:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
Yes there is some truth to the glass of water thing but it's usually going to result in a popped Clapton wrap and necessitate a rebuild especially when applied to thinner wire...I agree never had much success with that it's pretty much dependent upon nothing but sheer luck lol if the coil is already toast it's toast... and yes isopropyl works well due to the higher alkie content but it can le Bave residue in the cotton... just like cleaning a pipe with non food grade solvents. Let it dry really well and better yet put it on a paper towel in front of a heater, on a radiator, or in a sunny windowsill for best effect especially if using less than 120 proof likker
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2017, 07:11:30 PM »
If you were to compare it to liquor, 99% pharmaceutical grade isopropyl alcohol would be 198 proof.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
I know. Just beware of the additive. (Yes there is an additive in rubbing alcohol. It's designed that way so people don't drink it. Kinda like mouthwash and methanol/denatured alcohol).
 It won't kill ya, but it'll taste like ash if you don't let it dry completely...

"Seems to me the last chance we had for a little palaverin,' we were all manner of unwelcome..."
"This ain't bad!"
"There's a trick to it: wood alcohol."
"Now we're favored guests, treated to the finest in beverages that make you blind. You recall why that was?"
"Had a problem with your attitude, is wot. Thought you was... wot's the word?"
"Pretentious?"
"Exactly!"

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2017, 11:08:38 PM »
Please delete messed up and quoted myself instead of hitting edit

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »
I know. Just beware of the additive. (Yes there is an additive in rubbing alcohol. It's designed that way so people don't drink it. Kinda like mouthwash and methanol/denatured alcohol).
 It won't kill ya, but it'll taste like ash if you don't let it dry completely...
I specified NOT "denatured rubbing alcohol".  The 99% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy is 99% alcohol, 1% water, no additives.  "Everclear" liquor is 95% ethyl alcohol.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
Heh! I did not know that. Fascinating!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
Since I do spend a bit of time here reading and replying; it surely must have some effect. This thread topic certainly has helped. Here is a thanks to OP for giving me inspiration and a push. After 30 or so years of hard work I quit smoking. Cigarettes, cigars, pipe. I even went to the trouble to hand roll cigs so it was more like a hobby as much a habit.

I tried the vape a few years back. For me it was too much bother messing with gadgets. Like OP I haven't given up nicotine just yet. For now I'm using Swedish snus. Possibly one of the least harmful tobacco products. I like the paper portions to help keep the snus in a wad. It goes in the upper lip so no spitting. Overall it is relatively hygienic and stealthy. It's been well over a month- so far so good.

I buy local. If I order some I will get a licorice flavor. Thanks OP. Hope you and mrs P are both doing well
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »
Congratulations, Unk!  If it's been a few years since you checked into it, I encourage you to go to a vape shop and talk to them. The technology has grown exponentially (like everything else).  The unit I showed in my first post is simple to use and after 10 months I'm still lovin' it!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
hopefully not ;)  eventually I will sideline the snus. I like the: nobody knows, anywhere, whatever I'm doing, hands free aspect. There's been a few long moments when I really wanted a smoke, but overall an easy transition. Thanks again and congrats for continuing
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:29 PM »
hopefully not ;)  eventually I will sideline the snus. I like the: nobody knows, anywhere, whatever I'm doing, hands free aspect. There's been a few long moments when I really wanted a smoke, but overall an easy transition. Thanks again and congrats for continuing

:thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:34 AM »
Good luck to you Unk.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2018, 06:33:47 AM »
Congrats, Unknown!  :cheers:
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)