Author Topic: Stage Fright, it?s a thing,  (Read 202 times)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
Stage Fright, it?s a thing,
« on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »
 and one I don?t usually suffer from. Their are those that do.

In the middle of May I?ll be spending 5 days in a ?Wilderness Camp? more like tent camping in a park. It?s called Bass Camp. The list of professional working Bass Players are among a who?s who of apex bassist, they will be instructing seminars, workshops and private instruction for those that attend.

The main facilitator and owner of the Camp is Victor Wooten, I don?t expect many of you will know who he is. I?ve played the instrument for around 56 years. Usually I?m rarely intimidated by others but this will be kicking around with one of the best bassist ever. I imagine a little intimidation will be acceptable but I will blast right through that in a short time.

I?m really looking forward to this, I?m interested in what my feelings will be when playing my instrument for a guy who is rated one of the 10 best bass players ?ever?. He has push the boundaries of the instrument more than any other, including Jaco Pastorious, I?ll be there to learn, not impress anybody.  It?s just east of Nashville near the Duck River, maybe I?ll take the Wenonah with me.

http://vixcamps.com/bassnature-3/

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Re: Stage Fright, it?s a thing,
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:51 AM »
Good for you Hush.
There's a Canadian saying that goes, "It's more fun to play better hockey."
I'm sure that being exposed to bass players of this caliber will certainly develop your own skills, but I'm equally certain that with 50+ years behind you, that you'll also help develop the players there.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
It sounds like a opportunity of a lifetime for you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
I actually had heard of Victor Wooten.....I recall listening to a YouTube video when one of his videos popped up in a search for 'Amazing Grace.'    Not too bad! ;D

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:32:05 AM »
Conscientiousness; hard to spell? For me yeah. Still, I know what it means and that is what I think you are describing Hush. All I can say to help is, don't take too much stuff, be the wise minimalist.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »
I think you'll settle in quite quickly and just be yourself.  Everybody loves your playing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »
Very cool, I'm sure you will enjoy greatly
what part of the Duck River, it flow's from Kentucky lake to lake Normandy near shelbyville.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
Not sure Spyder, I?ll let you know when I figure it out.

The intimidation will only be a few moments long and I?ll embrace the feeling. The humility will be useful too, I do work at being more humble, people will listen to you closer if you speak with humility.

Victor is a monster talent but also a very humble guy, he?s got like four older brothers, who are also great musicians, he never had a chance to be anything else. His camp is ?Non-Profit? and can be applied to a Berkeley School of Music Degree.

As for too much stuff, that is just logical, I will bring the pyramid tent though, it?s easy to put up and has plenty of room. I?ll need 3 basses, fretted, fretless and one of my own builds to be signed by the instructors, that will be the hardest one to chose and one of my Martins for acoustic crap around the evening camp fire.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 03:18:00 PM »
well Mike, at least you know how to pitch a tarp,  pop a bullwhip,  paddle, and start a fire without matches.   :)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
Hey Sam, the whole back to nature aspect of this is not aimed at me.  It?ll be interesting to see what form it takes, I?ll do my best to not correct any one ?o), I?m sure this instructor will be top notch, Victor, I imagine, is in good company.