Author Topic: florida pluses and minuses  (Read 2223 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
florida pluses and minuses
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:16:36 AM »
winter time in florida most can brag about the warmth, fishing with no ice,
oh i could on. then there's the great food, i love the cuban&puertorican crillo.
keylime pie,conch fritters and bbq up north, there much indeed to enjoy in florida,
i onced lived there myself for a year in the keys.
then theres the alligators big as minivans and snakes long as telephone poles.
oh the herricanes can't leave those out.mabey one day i'll get a pair of sheep lined
sandals to runaround in winter in. so what are your plus and minuses,
joe's stone crab house we could one up nort here.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: florida pluses and minuses
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:41:40 AM »
Beaches, rivers, and springs.  I surf, paddle, and tucked hundreds of cave dives into springs before quitting.  I'm 45 mins. from the gulf,  one hour from the Atlantic, 10 mins from a spring, 6 hrs from the Keys, and 8 hrs from our mountain cabin.

I worry about some idiot killing me with his car while texting than gators, snakes, or hurricanes.

I'm getting back out after a coupla months of physical therapy and am working on scheduling a few surgeries.  I hope to be 100% this year.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:05:52 AM »
Green Anacondas........Di nosaurs.......West nile....hurricanes every 20 min.....
Then add,
Old people circling the block in a 2001 Caddy...at 28 mph with the left directional on.......
Most commonly  used phrase..."What?"
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »

Just call me uninformed,  I have never spent much time in Fla. and that only in the Clear Water area,  it was ok but nothing that would make me want to live there.
  My Chief moved to Fla. after he retired, some where near Port St. Lucy I think,  after about a year he stopped by on a visit and said he hated it down there, too much heat, too many bugs, snakes and other critters that wanted to make his life miserable,  and not long after moving into his new home he was cleaning his swimming pools and had a seven foot Gator chase him around the pool enclosure.
  He said it was hard to make friends with his neighbors because they never left the comfort of there air conditioners,  and then there was the Atlantic storms to contend with,  he's have moved back to New England if he could have afforded it,  but he sold his house here for $150,000 at the time, bought his Fla. home for $90,000, and blew most of the rest on a new car for his wife and a new Ram pick up for himself,  moving back would have him having to take on a sizeable debt.
  Another retired friend made the move, he had a brother down there who he visited once a year during the winter and really liked it,  five years later he was back, he said he'd had enough after rebuilding his house for the third time because of hurricane damage.   

I think I'll stay were I am. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
I have not been to Florida.  Went to Louisiana once though.

It was a minus 12F here a day or so back and we got 8" of snow last night with a little wind so we got drifts and its 21 F right now but feels like it's about 10.  It would be nice to be somewhere warm where you can wear just a shirt to go outside but everything I hear about bugs, snakes, gators, heat, hurricanes, and other obnoxious forces of nature makes me glad I am where I am.  Think I will stay here.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »
as for the 7'ft alligator could have made a pet out of'em
wors come to worse, pulled gator with mustard sauce,
coleslaw hush puppies, and do something cajun with the rest,
andouille gator, hmmm

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
Tastes like chicken.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
as for the 7'ft alligator could have made a pet out of'em
wors come to worse, pulled gator with mustard sauce,
coleslaw hush puppies, and do something cajun with the rest,
andouille gator, hmmm

Like everything else, when you are used to dealing with gators it's no big deal I suppose,  but to a southern new Englander who's worst nightmare are deer ticks, staring down a seven or eight foot predator can stop your heart.
  But that's not the worst of it,  after several failed attempts to shoo the gator away he fetched his handgun and shot the thing,  where upon his neighbor came over asking what all the noise was about,  the Chief explained about the gator and his being in fear for his life, to which the neighbor explained that in that area it's not uncommon to encounter gators and snakes in the back yard, that a simple call to animal control would have solved the problem.
  I guess it's illegal in Fla. to kill a gator on your property without a permit or unless it's got one of your kids in it's mouth,  and there's a pretty stiff fine for doing so (Fla. residents feel free to correct me if anything I say is wrong), so he was told.
  He didn't want to get into trouble or have to pay a ridiculous fine,  so he spent the better part of the day dismembering the thing and feeding it into his garbage disposal.   

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »
I always wish I lived further south in the winter. I'd still like to have a boat or bus to live in and just follow the weather. Probably never gonna happen though.
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »
Most in my time in Florida has been in the Jacksonville area when my Ship has puts into Mayport Naval Station.
I have a high school pal living there and he and his wife are great hosts.
Pluses:
- People are very friendly to tourists, especially to military personnel
- Nice beaches
- Great food
- St. John River and Inland Waterway is very cool
- Great craft bear
- Weather (sunshine, heat)
Minuses:
- Weather (humidity)
- short days
- weak domestic beer
- too many Canadians (hahaha, eh)

"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »
Moe-
[/quote]
  He didn't want to get into trouble or have to pay a ridiculous fine,  so he spent the better part of the day dismembering the thing and feeding it into his garbage disposal.   
[/quote]

Up here, North of Fargo, you can rent a Bandit 250XP chipper for few dollars a day. No need to dismember! :lol:

The airboats on Florida would be great fun. Up here they go real good on the snow but slide sideways something awful on the hillsides. Full time job keeping them going straight.  :D

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »
Yeah, the funny looking little guy.  In the chipper.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 12:22:47 PM »
Heather & I will be in Florida, specifically in the Punta Gorda area, for a couple of days in March.  Do any of you guys have any suggestions on where to find GREAT seafood?  We are going on a gastronomical tour of areas we've been to before, but too long ago, to taste regional specialties we long for, but don't normally have access to here in NEBRASKA.  :'(  :'(    Are there any items you recommend that we've maybe never tried before, but YOU think we should? :shrug:

We plan to take a trip this March, south through TX, to visit relatives in Ft. Worth and then wending our way through the Texas Hill Country to the HARD EIGHT in Stephenville for some of the BEST bbq in all of TX :drool:, then on to San Antonio for another free night of sponging off of relatives.  8)    Next stop....the area around Lafayette for GOOD crawdads & boudin. :drool:  Our eventual goal is Punta Gorda, FL, where our friends, John & Myra, have a winter beach house with their big boat in a convenient slip right out their front door. 

Haven't decided which way we're heading back to NEBRASKA, but we aren't going to be in any big  hurry, since we get most of our heavy snows here in March.  So, it will probably be toward the end of March when we get back home.  March, maybe, I don't believe April.  March is a muddy month down below....FARMERS like it, mostly. :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »
PM Yellow Yak.  He's a little north of there but he's a travelin' man and likes good food.  He may have some suggestions.

You can find good food in a tiny little town called Cedar Key.  It's a cool place to spend a few hours.  Crystal River has a couple great seafood places.

Sounds like a great road trip.

Tony
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 04:44:30 PM »
Other than a year of college in Kentucky,  I have lived all my life in Florida.  Family on both sides were from Virginia, and I go there often.  Only real negatives regarding living in Florida are the yankees,  Canadians and folks from South America/Caribbean/Central America.  Oh, and the Haitians.  If all those folks would go the heck home, it would be a paradise.  Just too many people.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 06:39:10 PM »
YANKEES?.....So, you're telling us not to come down then? :'( :'(

Where's all that 'Southern Hospitality' I've always heard so much about? :shrug:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 07:22:37 PM »
He's probably talking about me.  I'm from New Jersey.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »
Nebraskan is not a yankee.
Southern hospitality is for southerners.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
shameful

That is a comment made in jest. Nebraska. Still not Yankee imho. Especially as things are today. Mannlicher may have a different, more accurate POV.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:12:20 AM by Unknown »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
Shameful?   In what way? :shrug:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »
My boss bought a 1/2 acre lot in an area of central Florida and then bought the 1/2 acre lot next to it. It seems it would have been a housing development but went belly up with the housing market. I htink his hopes are to triple his money once the market comes back up?

He paid $3k each. That's some crazy cheap land. Now I'm thinking about a 1/2 acre lot across the road from his. Be a great vacation get away location. No power or septic. taxes are low as well.

My question is what do you do about the gators? They are everywhere in that area with several ponds, a small lake, and a small river. Do they basically ignore you if you leave them alone?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 01:36:41 PM »
   You get used to them.  Don't let kids or pets near the water between dusk and dawn.  Don't swim during mating season (Ask us about Greyhound352 getting trapped in his hammock with a horny gator underneath him.).  Don't be "that" guy (golfer) that thinks it's cute to feed them marshmellows.  Some golfer loses an arm every coupla years to hand fed golf course gators. 

I know this sounds crazy to everybody except the Kracaneuners but I have been swimming, spooked a big one, and it just hauled butt underneath me.  And I have a witness (Humble Blivit).  lol.

Follow common sense and you will be fine.

Oh yeah.  You don't want to try and outrun one on land.  Take your pics from a safe distance.

One more thing.  A nuisance gator on private land (pond) is traditionally taken care of quietly with SSS.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:56:13 PM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »
Ah yes......Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
So much appreciate that. I have respect for them as I do snakes. I don't kill any of them. I can see a trouble some house gust needs to be put away maybe...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 03:09:07 AM »
I was a damm yankee down in florida fer a spell, heh heh yeah buddy

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »
well i can not help it but i have to say this in open forum. 1st I am who I am.
I'm chech, german, polish and puertorican. a mutt, not unlike most AMERICANS.
since i was little i grew up in various neighborhoods. in one always behind your back
you would be refered to as a SPIC, in another neighborhood you'd be called a blanco muchacho
a whiteboy. geeze o pete i'm 57yrs old youd think this $H&t would go away.
really. please forgive me thaqt when summer comes i'm browner than you.

on my fathers side my desendants habitated the carribean in the 1500s.
can you say that. a hundred years before jamestown. just saying.
i must sat i feel hurt and insulted at the same time,
i have to say there's a whole world out there besides corn pone& fried chicken.
that's all i have to say on this.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
What the heck prompted that little rant?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Probably Mannlichers post on the first page.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
Heather & I will be in Florida, specifically in the Punta Gorda area, for a couple of days in March.  Do any of you guys have any suggestions on where to find GREAT seafood?  We are going on a gastronomical tour of areas we've been to before, but too long ago, to taste regional specialties we long for, but don't normally have access to here in NEBRASKA.  :'(  :'(    Are there any items you recommend that we've maybe never tried before, but YOU think we should? :shrug:

We plan to take a trip this March, south through TX, to visit relatives in Ft. Worth and then wending our way through the Texas Hill Country to the HARD EIGHT in Stephenville for some of the BEST bbq in all of TX :drool:, then on to San Antonio for another free night of sponging off of relatives.  8)    Next stop....the area around Lafayette for GOOD crawdads & boudin. :drool:  Our eventual goal is Punta Gorda, FL, where our friends, John & Myra, have a winter beach house with their big boat in a convenient slip right out their front door. 

Haven't decided which way we're heading back to NEBRASKA, but we aren't going to be in any big  hurry, since we get most of our heavy snows here in March.  So, it will probably be toward the end of March when we get back home.  March, maybe, I don't believe April.  March is a muddy month down below....FARMERS like it, mostly. :lol:

Wolfy, there's a couple of nice, fresh seafood restaurants in Punta Gorda. Check out Peace River Seafood for excellent, fresh caught Blue Crabs and Stone Crab, doesn't get any fresher. Also, check out the Village Fish Market for a good selection of seafood with a great waterfront view.

I don't know what kind of seafood selection you have in Nebraska, but if you haven't tried any of these, it's definitely worth your while:

Smoked Fish Dip (Mullet, Amberjack, Mahi-mahi, etc. Amberjack is my favorite). Eat on a saltine with a little lemon or hot sauce.
Gulf Grouper, fried or my favorite, blackened.
Stone Crab Claws - Currently in season, I O.D. on these sometimes.

Since you'll be staying at a house on the water, purchase a temporary fishing permit from a local Walmart and fish out of the canal in the back yard by the boat dock. Get yourself some live shrimp and a couple of Oxygen Tabs, and I can guarantee you'll catch some fish. Good eating is Mangrove Snapper, Spotted Sea Trout, Redfish, and Snook. Snook will be in season in March. For some lively action, if you have a light on the dock, turn it on at dusk, wait an hour or two and drop a line. Snook love dock lights. Most of the time you'll see them from above. See the pics and regulations in this quick chart: http://myfwc.com/media/4219696/QuickChart.pdf.

If you're staying a coupe of days and would like to do some day trips, check out Sanibel to the South (excellent shelling) and Boca Grande to the West, both great places to visit. Venice Beach, a little to the North is great for finding sharks teeth on the beach (North Jetties).

Have a blast, and if you need or want anything while in the area, just let me know.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, Greg! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   Ron, suggested that I ask you about the best available seafood joints, things to see, etc......he was RIGHT!! :hail: :cheers:

EDIT:  I just read your post to Heather and she heartily seconded Peace River Seafood as a great place for seafood.....she and her friend, Myra were there just this past Spring and had even told me about it when she got home.  We're going again! 8)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:32:42 PM by wolfy »

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, Greg! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   Ron, suggested that I ask you about the best available seafood joints, things to see, etc......he was RIGHT!! :hail: :cheers:

EDIT:  I just read your post to Heather and she heartily seconded Peace River Seafood as a great place for seafood.....she and her friend, Myra were there just this past Spring and had even told me about it when she got home.  We're going again! 8)

Sounds great, you'll love the food I'm sure.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »
well  crash what started the rant
well i'm kinda sensetive about some things.
ahhhhh life goes on.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 04:14:42 PM »
since i was little i grew up in various neighborhoods. in one always behind your back
you would be refered to as a SPIC, in another neighborhood you'd be called a blanco muchacho

Why was one neighborhood different from the other? Are you perhaps describing one group practicing a culture/heritage showing a preference to live amongst others doing, living the same way? I would suggest that what you are asking to "go away" is actually a genetically determined, perfectly natural aspect of human nature.

In past post we have looked, albeit indirectly,  into this topic a little, that of the AMERICAN mutt you mentioned. There was a limited number of participants, but there was a majority (as I recall) that were perfectly and proudly accepting of the USA as melting pot proposition.

Speaking in global terms,  people that look like me are a shrinking minority. All nations where whites are/were a natural majority are being inundated with immigrants that not only have nothing in common with their host nations, they outwardly reject the native culture, while accepting all the gifts of the governments. Immigration is encouraged here as well; not for humanitarian reasons, or proposition idealism; but to replace the former majority white population. The argument presented is that There is only a matter of skin color differentiating people's. That is not the issue at all, because differences are much greater than that. Humorously, to some anyway, the only benefit pointed to by such diverse cultures interacting, is a new chicken recipe.

I get through it all by treating the people I meet as individuals. Independently that person hasn't likely done anything but seek their own self-interest. That's understandable. There's even a high probability that I'd like the person and we'd get along fine. That interpersonal interaction is no reason to ignore the effects of group dynamics, demographics, statistics, and the effects of other groups operating with very different group evolutionary/survival strategies.

I don't know if that is enough of an answer, any answer at all. I don't presume to speak for others either.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »

Hayshaker, Yankee isn't a racial issue. It more an attitude or mentality. More fast pace and easily aggravated vs the southern hospitality and slow / casual lifestyle.

My father always said, it's easy for a yank to get work down south because we are always in a hurry and get things done quickly and efficiently.

I don't believe anyone here is racist. I know I'm not prejudiced, I hate everyone equally!!! LOL!

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Probably Mannlichers post on the first page.

or not.   laughing

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
It was the only one that mentioned specific ethnic groups so I guessed that want he was talking about.   :-\
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 07:32:36 AM »
Moe-
[/quote]

Up here, North of Fargo, you can rent a Bandit 250XP chipper for few dollars a day. No need to dismember! :lol:

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he did it in his garage with the door closed for fear of being caught,  chippers are loud and tend to make a big mess.   (grin)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »

Wolfy, one other thing you need to try while you're down south. I seem to recall from a prior post that you had never tried Boiled Peanuts. You've got to give them a try. I like the Cajun flavored ones. Most gas stations will have them, but All Race-Trac stations have them.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »
+1 on the boiled peanuts (Kelly says "bald" peanuts).  Buy them later in the day rather than earlier.  The peanuts absorb the salt.  And put a towel in your lap when you're eating them.  They leak saltwater when you crack them.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 09:31:01 AM »
Thank you BOTH for reminding me.....I WILL give 'em a try! :thumbsup:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
I wish my state would do this.  Actually, I wish the entire USA would do this.  The back and forth twice a year is ridiculous.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article203781769.html
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »
I agree! :cheers:    Winter always seems worse when it starts getting dark at 5:00.......it's nuts. :P

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
I agree too.   8)
(Mark Twain)

Offline Marta34

• Mill File
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »
That really cracked me up @Madmax.... of course, those that drive and text are really dangerous... Hope you are okay now?

Offline SamD

• Mill File+
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »
Wolfy, one warning on the boiled peanuts, Go easy or stay near a bathroom. :) Just saying ...

As for Florida, My family has been in FLA for over 200 years. So I guess that is enough said!
U.S. Army Paratrooper, DAV (life member), American Legion (life member), NMLRA (1 of 1000 member) & (life Member), NRA (life member)
"BY THE RUDE BRIDGE THAT ARCHED THE FLOOD. THEIR FLAG TO APRILS BREEZE UNFURLED. HERE ONCE THE EMBATTLED FARMERS STOOD. AND FIRED THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD!"