Author Topic: L.L. Bean Ends Lifetime Return Policy  (Read 660 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
L.L. Bean Ends Lifetime Return Policy
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:39 AM »
Surprised they didn't do this long ago with the number of jerkwads, cheapskates, and a$$holes out there that would take advantage of it.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2018/02/09/l-l-bean-terminates-legendary-lifetime-returns-policy/
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: L.L. Bean Ends Lifetime Return Policy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »
Craftsman. Nuff said.

I'm guilty of doing that. I picked up a large 1/2" drive ratchet at a garage sale and went to Sears and got it replaced. Thing is it's just a couple dollar rebuild kit to fix the existing tool, not a new one.

Walmart recently changed their return policy too. So many people were buying large screen TV's for the Superbowl then returning them.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »
 I agree,  for some things it was nice to have that kind of warrantee,  I have an LL Bean Traditional waxed cotton ruck that I've had for quite a few years, I bought it used from a bushcraft buddy and simply love it, it's extremely comfortable to carry, holds up great, and had great organizational potential,  it was reassuring to know that at some point in the future should it fail do to age or accident I could get it replaced or repaired free or charge.
 But realistically, nothing lasts forever, things wear out, it's a fact of life, in my opinion if you've purchased a quality product and got good use from it it's probably unreasonable to ask the seller to replace it past a certain amount of reasonable time.
 I did experience the LL Bean lifetime warrantee once but not because I asked for it,  actually at the time I didn't know it existed,  on one of my first hunting trips to Maine we stopped at LL Bean in Freeport to buy a few things and pick up our hunting licenses,  while there I purchased two Stanley Thermos bottles,  one quart size and one two quart bottle,  I was about 18 yrs. old at the time,  this was when they came with cork stoppers.
 I used them for many years on a lot of hunting and fishing trips and they got pretty beat up,  after about 12 ~15 years of hard use they weren't keeping my coffee warm for very long anymore,  so on this trip we again made our annual stop at LL Beans and I decided to buy a couple of new thermos bottles,  I choose the same kind (though updated) and put them in my cart,  at the check out the girl ringing me up quipped that they were a good seller in the fall and winter,  I told her of my two old ones and she asked if I had purchased them there, I told her I did, she asked if I had them with me, I told her they were out in my truck and she asked me to get them.
 I returned with the two beat up thermos bottles,  she smiled a said she guessed I got my money's worth out of them,  she then tossed them in the return bin and handed me the two new ones and said these are free of charge.

Thank you very much Mr. Bean,  in thinking about it now and knowing that there are a lot of people who would take an unfair advantage of LL Bean's generous warrantee I don't blame the business for modifying it's warrantee, even one year is quite generous.
 I can't say I'm pleased with Bean's new business model of forsaking there older working class customer base and going for the younger yuppy dollars,  and in some instances lowering the quality of some of their goods,  but then again if they want to be competitive they have to stay in the game.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
Good old USA company with fair & honest products.....may they thrive & prosper. :thumbsup:   From what I read, they are and will continue to do so.  It's not just their boots.....our first little house was old, uninsulated and drafty, so I gave Heather one of Leon's heavy, plush robes for Christmas the first year we were married......30 years, ago.  It was 'expensive' and they don't carry it anymore, but it looks nearly the same as it did when it was new!  I doubt that she'll ever feel the need to send it back or buy a new one. ;D

I have had nearly the same experience as Moe with RCBS and Sears Craftsman tools.  Because of their replacement policies, I & others continue to reward them with our continued business......they count on it and deserve it!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
Good old USA company with fair & honest products.....may they thrive & prosper. :thumbsup:   From what I read, they are and will continue to do so.  It's not just their boots.....our first little house was old, uninsulated and drafty, so I gave Heather one of Leon's heavy, plush robes for Christmas the first year we were married......30 years, ago.  It was 'expensive' and they don't carry it anymore, but it looks nearly the same as it did when it was new!  I doubt that she'll ever feel the need to send it back or buy a new one. ;D

I have had nearly the same experience as Moe with RCBS and Sears Craftsman tools.  Because of their replacement policies, I & others continue to reward them with our continued business......they count on it and deserve it!

I doubt anybody ever said it better old friend.  (Double thumbs Up)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
Nuke used the right words for people who send worn out gear back.  I always hit Cabela's bargain cave when we go there and some of the boots people return are in such pathetic shape they had to have four or five years of really hard use on them.  Bean is wise to do this and it will probably spread to others. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »
I used to be able to pick up an occasional 'deal' back in the Bargain Cave, but anymore, not so much.  I don't know why they even put some of that crap out on the shelves.....it's overpriced to begin with and worthless to anyone in their right mind. :P      There are essential & irreplaceable parts missing, burned out electronics, worn out boots with HOLES in the toes and busted Vibram soles.   Who would even consider buying stuff like that?  :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
The bargain cave in Sidney NE used to have killer deals.   No more.  I remember buying a Filson upland coat in tin cloth for $80 when they were about $275 new.  This one was as new except for the shiny spot on the top of the right shoulder where the person was carrying their shotgun while walking. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
I sent a river driver shirt back several weeks ago. The shirt was several years old. Truthfully I doubt my wife wore it 20 times. The arm pit has torn at the seam, and she continued to wear it. At what point it tore I can't remember.

We got a check for 6 bucks or so. I was disappointed.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown