Author Topic: XJ35S Water Adventures.  (Read 3975 times)

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
XJ35S Water Adventures.
« on: July 04, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
This is the first time out on the new (used) canoe. We put in at 3 rivers in Phoenix NY and paddled around Horseshoe Island. It is a seven mile loop. The two guy's I was with had Kayaks and kept saying "wait up". I could glide real well which amazed me with such a flat keel less bottom.

Here's the location.

I was a little nervous at first. First time paddling a canoe solo. I got the hang of it quick. Practiced a lot of different techniques too.

I'm not real sure it was a good idea to follow two kayaker's through a swamp with a canoe that's 15 feet long but it was fun and I did it!!!

I think he saw a snake! lol!!

Real calm water. I took a picture of bob taking a picture!!

My buddy Andy that I work with. Had a lot of fun today!!!! I'm very sore now. The whole loop took 3 hours with one pit stop to stretch our legs.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: XJ35S Water Adventures.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:26:49 PM »
That's awesome! Glad your maiden voyage was a smooth one.  :canoe:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »
I learned that I need a little weight in the nose. A gentle breeze was good no J paddle. A little more and I couldn't keep it from coming around without heavy paddling and a hard kick at the end of the stroke. The bow was in the air a few inches. I could have just knelt in the center, but a little gear would have held the nose in and helped a lot.

I started out with my PFD on and kept it on most of the trip. I got real good at the paddling and found the "right" spot on the handle. My confidence grew and I was real hot in it too. The yaks had one but I think they were stowed not in reach...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »
Looks like you had a great day on the water. I have a one man canoe,12' 6", and I love my double paddle when using the single canoe.

On most of our trips down here in Florida, most of us all paddle solo and we try to get our water up front and that  does a good job holding the nose down.

Time to start looking for some drybags for future water trips.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
Looks like a great day on the water.  Thanks for taking us along.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »
xj, a double paddle is a must for a solo in my humble opinion. If the wind gets on you when you're out just move to the bow and paddle from there. Might not be as comfortable but you'll be pulling the boat into the wind vs pushing it.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »
Yeah, Thank you. I did borrow to try both of their paddles. one was a little shorter with curved blades that kind of scooped. The other about a foot longer had longer flat blades. It did much better. Crazy speed while keeping straight.

One thing I really liked was a paddling technique That I don't know the name of. It's like a yuloh effect. It didn't work with either double paddle very well. Here's the video that I learned it from. I could move the canoe entirely sideways towards or away from the guy's with little effort. Even from sitting in the seat. It's the way I approached the dock to get in and out.

Do anY of you sail your canoes? That light wind was pushing us well upstream without one. I have a 4 foot section of aluminum 5/8" diameter. I'm thinking about using my old tent door half. It's nylon and originally zipped on to the tent. I want to attach the top and bottom then use paracord on the bottom outside point to create a curve. I know too much youtube right? LOL!

Like this one...

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:45:23 AM by xj35s »

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »
For ballast up front I have a 6 gallon water jug that I just fill up at the lake or river.

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
That looks like a whole lot of fun. I have only been on a few trips in rented canoes. Just another thing that got neglected through the years. You guys got me checking craigslist with these pics. Being on the water like that is really nice.

Great pics man, thanks for sharing your day...awesome

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »
I got out again today. Just practicing paddling some more. I was in the Onondaga lake outlet. It was THE most polluted lake in the WORLD. The mayor say's it's clean enough to swim in now, No one has seen him do that yet...

Here's a decent video my wife took. It shows the sideways paddle thing I like so much.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Hey, xj, I thought that was the old Water Walker himself, Bill Mason, paddling that nice red canoe there for a minute.  That "sideways paddle thing" that you're using there is called 'sculling'......I'm quite fond of it, myself.  It's very effective for sneaking up on critters or birds for better photos.....less noise and movement.
                                                                   :canoe:

Good to see you wearing the PFD, too! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »
Nice job and the canoe looks nice out on the water.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
Thank you Wolfy, Now I won't sound like a fool. I knew it had to have a name. I love the maneuverability it has for it's size. Did you see the quick turn? Very happy with it.

Now I have to load it down with gear and see how I do!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »
Looks like a fun trip. I wish there were more waterways out here. Neat to see those water lilies.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »
11.26 miles today in 4 hours. I had wind and swamp grass to fight. Most of the trip was through a channel surrounded by cattails. Kind of boring paddling. Yes I am very sore!!

I started out on a beautiful little Sterling Creek. It met up with west Creek and went to Fair Haven State Park.

Here is a shot of the grass. I talked to a kayaker at the start and he said it was choked up bad and I wouldn't make it through. I have about 1" draft. I was able to float over most of it. Plus it gave "Traction" to the paddle when it got thick.

Yes it got thick!!

Most of it was open and easy paddling when the wind didn't blow too bad.

This Oak tree had a trunk 6' in diameter. Wicked enormous for around here. Even the Branches were unbelievably HUGE.

Here is a pano if the split. The left goes into Sterling to the Dam. The right goes out to lake Ontario and the state park.

Not sure what this was. A white Heron? It stood about 4 feet tall and had a huge wingspan. I spooked it before I could get a zoomed in picture of him standing there.

End game. That's the park and there is a channel that leads out to the great lake. Tide was going out so I booked back to the truck before the grasses were any more exposed and grabbing the canoe. Was a good day!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 06:10:13 PM »
Looks like a great trip. Paddling through grass like that is a real bear. What type of waterway were you on that had a tidal impact?

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
Looks like a good day on the water even with the grass.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 04:08:21 AM »
Lake Ontario has tides. It has very dangerous rip tides as well that kill people every year. That last photo is a sort of bay.(swamp) that goes in and out through a narrow channel. The current is too strong to paddle against. You have to hook the ladder in the channel and pull out or go into the lake and paddle a circle back to the beach. That can be a problem due to the high waves often on the lake.

It is easy enough to stay clear of the channel. You can feel the grasp of the current in plenty of tie to paddle out of it. I usually go towards the channel and veer off to the side out of it. It is odd that the canoe rental is right next to this channel. So you have to paddle hard away from it right away.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 07:13:06 PM »
I spent most of today out on the water. I paddled out into Lake Ontario. A little scary as it can whip up some serious waves. It was a very calm day and wasn't bad at all, even with all the boat traffic.

I joked about heading to Canada with some kids on the pier.

I was this far from Fair Haven Beach. I was able to paddle both ways through the channel. No tide at all.

After this I went to the Oswego River in Fulton and paddled 1.5 hours upstream to Ox Creek. I had about an hour left to the end but turned around and came back. I forgot the bug spray in the truck and would have been mid swamp when the skeeters come out. About 8 miles done all together. very scenic and peaceful.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 09:25:37 PM »
Sounds like a very relaxing day on the water.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 05:18:43 AM »
A relaxing day on the water is good for the soul.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
Nice xj! Love the big water and blue sky.  :canoe:

Creek
Axes Rock!