Author Topic: Bullies of Bushcraft 2016 Winter Freezing Ice Holes Planning Thread  (Read 11665 times)

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
Re: Bullies of Bushcraft 2016 Winter Freezing Ice Holes Planning Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2016, 04:30:00 AM »
a super shelter is a tarp shelter with a reflector inside, then you put plastic sheeting in front of the opening. with a fire in front, it gets really warm in the shelter. mors kochanski has covered it quite a bit, i think he coined the term.

last cold campout i did, i tried one. but it wasn't built well and i was too drunk to tend the fire at night, so i woke up freezing my ass off...
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2016, 07:52:06 AM »
It's a national forest so I assume collecting firewood is allowed.  I have a grill we can set up over the fire for cooking.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
yeah, the website said collecting down, dead wood is allowed, just no cutting of trees. of course, dead standing is fair game, as far as i'm concerned. i won't tell anyone...
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 09:06:12 AM »
a super shelter is a tarp shelter with a reflector inside, then you put plastic sheeting in front of the opening. with a fire in front, it gets really warm in the shelter. mors kochanski has covered it quite a bit, i think he coined the term.

last cold campout i did, i tried one. but it wasn't built well and i was too drunk to tend the fire at night, so i woke up freezing my ass off...
Thanks, that will be cool to see.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »

and very cool to sleep in if he doesn't keep his fire going.  >:D

On a related note, Saturday morning is the scheduled lesson on treating hypothermia.  O:-)
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:11 AM »
LOL.  I'm just bringing pads, bags, down, and Hudson Bay blankets.  Hope YY brings  his big vehicle.  Haha.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »

and very cool to sleep in if he doesn't keep his fire going.  >:D

On a related note, Saturday morning is the scheduled lesson on treating hypothermia.  O:-)

another reason i slept so cold was an inadequate, broken sleeping bag and a crappy sleeping pad.

this time i have an upgraded pad, a nice down sleeping bag, an extra quilt, and a bivy for everything to go inside. I'm NOT freezing this time. If anything, i'll be too warm. i just want to test a super shelter out.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2016, 05:29:34 PM »
Looking forward to this camp. We'll be coming in sometime late Thursday afternoon. We are planning on cooking some burgers Thursday evening, we'll bring the fixin's. I'll be bringing some premade bread doughs for baking, and a few sweet treats. Tony's got some bean soup planned for everyone for one meal. We're going to stop and pickup some provisions on our way up north, we'll get some bacon and eggs for a few breakfast meals. Anything else anyone needs, let us know.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 05:34:38 PM »
Looking forward to this camp. We'll be coming in sometime late Thursday afternoon. We are planning on cooking some burgers Thursday evening, we'll bring the fixin's. I'll be bringing some premade bread doughs for baking, and a few sweet treats. Tony's got some bean soup planned for everyone for one meal. We're going to stop and pickup some provisions on our way up north, we'll get some bacon and eggs for a few breakfast meals. Anything else anyone needs, let us know.

Sounds great, and the forecast is looking pretty good. Highs in the 50's and 30ish nights. 

I'll be there in the early afternoon on Thursday.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
Are we going to rely on harvesting firewood, or do we need to pick some up locally before we get in the park?

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
Are we going to rely on harvesting firewood, or do we need to pick some up locally before we get in the park?

I think we should be able to make due with harvesting what we need.  It should be easy pickings.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Sounds good, thanks.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »
I'm looking at my "pile" thinking, "I'm not taking enough".  It's so easy to keep throwing stuff in for a car camp or even a canoe camp.  I wonder if I could even pack for a backpack trip anymore.  LOL.  Guess I'll have to try this summer.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2016, 03:01:43 PM »
getting antsy. is that the word?

i wanted to bring a rabbit, but that's not happening. we just doing another free for all for food? just gonna wing it and have way too much again? i'm fine with that, just checking on the plan, if there is one.

also, any planned things? just a bunch of folks swapping BS?

Beast or Creek, either of you guys here from U.W. or Sam Bunyun yet?

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2016, 04:02:24 PM »
We'll do the breakfast meals for all days if that's good with everyone. On Thursday for dinner we're bringing burger fixings for burgers over the fire. I know Tony's planning some Black Bean Soup and Cornbread for a dinner.

Are there any lakes close by? Wouldn't mind purchasing a fishing pass and throwing a line or two if there's something close by.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
I will make veg soup for the other night too.

I think my NC fishing license is good. I get a year one.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »
I'm bringing a few sirloin steaks and some cheddar brats to be cooked whenever ---- they are not coming home with me.

Looking forward to a good camp.  Hopefully some cooler temps.  Looking at the Troy Forecast looks like highs in the 50's and lows in the 20's.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2016, 06:32:57 AM »
I'm afraid I don't have any idea about fresh water fishing in the area, I'm strictly a salt water guy.

BH, haven't heard from either U.W. or SB. Give them a shout if you have a chance.

Food looks to be pretty well covered, I'll just mooch off everyone else as usual.   >:D

I'll bring a few gallons of water, we'll have vault toilets but no potable water in camp. 

Anyone have a coffee percolator? 

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »
yes, i have a coffee percolator. i'll add that to the list of stuff to bring.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
There's a lake near there.  Lake Badin.  I kayaked there a few times.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
Crash will be bringing his percolator. Nice that he's usually the first one up and can brew a mean pot of coffee :coffee:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »
We should be good on coffee pot and coffee.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 05:47:03 PM »
i'm up early too. probably all that navy time we have in common...

does he use snoring as a bear deterrent? it works...

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »
Ya gotta understand the snoring hierarchy of the Kracaneuner Tribe.  We have some world class snorers.  It can sound like you're surrounded by mythical bloodthirsty monsters on the hunt.  Dogs start barking.  Children cry.  Women (well our women) reach for a gun, and men start cussin'  when first exposed to the cacophony.  Crash gets drowned out.

Is anybody thinking of going shooting? 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:24:41 AM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »
Ya gotta understand the snoring hierarchy of the Kracaneuner Tribe.  We have some world class snorers.  It can sound like you're surrounded by mythical bloodthirsty monsters on the hunt.  Dogs start barking.  Children cry.  Women (well our women) reach for a gun, and men start cussin'  when first exposed to the cacophony.  Crash gets drowned out.

Is anybody thinking of going shooting?

Haven't decided if I feel like hauling a gun with me. I haven't even started packing. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Time goes by quickly in camp.  I'm leaning towards eating and socializing mostly.  I can't hike far right now but I'll get on the trail a little.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »
Time goes by quickly in camp.  I'm leaning towards eating and socializing mostly.  I can't hike far right now but I'll get on the trail a little.

Kinda my druthers too. 

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »

Kinda my druthers too.

That works for me.  I like hanging around camp and doing a little exploring.  Of course, if there is any snow nearby.......

Out of the three Kracs coming, it is not my snoring that should concern you......just sayin.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »
OK, I just got off the phone with the young lady at the US Forest Service office for Uhwarrie and she said dead wood is fair game and they are having a pretty good windstorm today that should make for easy pickings.

Also the Forest service office is on the way to the camp, so we can stop in to pick up maps and fill up out water cans there.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
Good footwork Beast.  Looks easy to navigate to the camp.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »
Thanks Tony.

I'm getting us a group site, not sure which one until I eyeball them, so search me out when you get here, and the fees are on me. 

I'll be the guy that looks like me  8)  driving a beat up maroon Tahoe

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
You're camping Thurs?   I think reasonably 4 ish for us. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
You're camping Thurs?   I think reasonably 4 ish for us.

Yeah, I'm heading out tomorrow morning after I take care of the animals.  I should be there just after lunch time.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
i'll be up on friday. i have a friend who's coming, and it's based on his work schedule when we'll be there friday. more to follow once i figure it out from him...

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2016, 06:02:54 AM »
Slight change of plans, it's snowing here in the mountains so I have a few extra tasks that I need to do before I leave.  I should still be there by mid-afternoon. 

See you guys later.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
You all have a safe & fun time, and take lots of pics too!
:)

Looking forward to reading about & seeing your trip reports.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)