Author Topic: Test photo posting  (Read 2610 times)

Offline RDStone

• Mill File
    • San Juan Mountain Bob
Test photo posting
« on: January 29, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »
Seeing if I have this figured out.
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."  Marcel Proust

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Test photo posting
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »
 :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »
Nice job! I'll be looking forward to some more of your work in the Wildlife Thread.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
Very nice quality photo!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:44:02 PM »
I sure do believe you got it figured out.  Nice picture, did you take it?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »

:popcorn:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline RDStone

• Mill File
    • San Juan Mountain Bob
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »

yes I took it on one of my hikes. Thanks guys. I'm not a real photographer. But I have fun trying.
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."  Marcel Proust

Offline RDStone

• Mill File
    • San Juan Mountain Bob
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »

Nice job! I'll be looking forward to some more of your work in the Wildlife Thread.
Thanks OP. I've seen some of your stuff. I'm not up to par with you, but I'll get a few posted over there.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »

yes I took it on one of my hikes. Thanks guys. I'm not a real photographer. But I have fun trying.

Well you nailed that one.  I really has, for me, all the elements I like.  Good job.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:51:50 PM »

Well you nailed that one.  I really has, for me, all the elements I like.  Good job.

I agree! Good composition. Selective focus on the eye, slightly off-set. The tail and two branches all leading the eye to the main subject. Nice job.
Was any post-processing involved?  We have a thread hiding here somewhere about post-processing, HD photography, darkroom techniques, etc., you might enjoy. I'll try to find it and bump it.

Thanks OP. I've seen some of your stuff. I'm not up to par with you, but I'll get a few posted over there.
Thanks, but you have nothing to worry about.
There's a saying that goes back many, many years. Goes something like, "Good equipment can't make a poor photographer good, but it can make a good photographer better."
In my case, I have a crappy point-n-shoot digital...and I've become lazy over the years.  :-\

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
The depth of field on that tree-rat photo is outstanding.....alm ost 3-D!   I USED to be able to control that by manipulating the aperture size, but like Ol' P, I no longer have that luxury with my newfangled digital camera.  That thing has just about taken away all of my incentive to try and take good photos these days.....VERY aggravating! >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline RDStone

• Mill File
    • San Juan Mountain Bob
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »

Was any post-processing involved? 

Yes I shot it in raw so it was processed some. I try to do as minimal processing as possible as I personally don't care much for obviously manipulated photos.  Some like that but it's not my taste.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 09:09:52 PM »
The depth of field on that tree-rat photo is outstanding.....alm ost 3-D!   I USED to be able to control that by manipulating the aperture size, but like Ol' P, I no longer have that luxury with my newfangled digital camera.  That thing has just about taken away all of my incentive to try and take good photos these days.....VERY aggravating! >:(
Preach on, Brother. I got my OM-1 out just the other day. Handled it, fondled it, checked all the attachments (various lenses, extension tubes, filers...). Framed a few make believe shots, and went 'click...click' in a silent whisper. Then I tucked it safely back into its case, glared at my Sony CyberShot laying on my desk, and mixed a strong drink.

Yes I shot it in raw so it was processed some. I try to do as minimal processing as possible as I personally don't care much for obviously manipulated photos.  Some like that but it's not my taste.

Sometimes a quick "auto correct" in some processing software is warranted. I think that is preferable to letting the camera make the decisions. Shooting RAW gives you more latitude.  And of course, a little cropping and perfecting the composition is always permissible.  ;)

Offline RDStone

• Mill File
    • San Juan Mountain Bob
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »

Preach on, Brother. I got my OM-1 out just the other day. Handled it, fondled it, checked all the attachments (various lenses, extension tubes, filers...). Framed a few make believe shots, and went 'click...click' in a silent whisper. Then I tucked it safely back into its case, glared at my Sony CyberShot laying on my desk, and mixed a strong drink.

Sometimes a quick "auto correct" in some processing software is warranted. I think that is preferable to letting the camera make the decisions. Shooting RAW gives you more latitude.  And of course, a little cropping and perfecting the composition is always permissible.  ;)
I agree. There isn't a camera made that can see what our eyes see. I'm just not big on the whole photo art thing....unless the photographer states that was his/her intent and it goes in that category. Sometimes landscapes are so over-saturated nowadays that it's obvious that it's unnatural. But to each his own. Even Ansel Adams did some manipulation in the darkroom. Thanks for the input OP!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 07:01:21 PM »
Hear, hear! :hail: :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »

I agree. There isn't a camera made that can see what our eyes see. I'm just not big on the whole photo art thing....unless the photographer states that was his/her intent and it goes in that category. Sometimes landscapes are so over-saturated nowadays that it's obvious that it's unnatural. But to each his own. Even Ansel Adams did some manipulation in the darkroom. Thanks for the input OP!
One of the pix I opened the "Cyber Darkroom" thread with shows some artsy-fartsy work with a woodland trail. It all has it's place. But like you and Wolfy, I really, really, REALLY dislike the super-saturated landscapes!  A scene should 'take you there', not shout at you!