Author Topic: Bear Grylls Compact Fixed blade 2 year review  (Read 2279 times)

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
Bear Grylls Compact Fixed blade 2 year review
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »

The humble fixed blade knife.  Much used by many and overlooked by so many others who think that only a folder can be small enough to carry regularly.  I have been using the Gerber Bear Grylls Compact Fixed Blade ( really could they not think of a shorter name) for  two years now.  It is my favorite knife in the BG series.  It has one major flaw and that is in the sheath.  The belt sheath has a reversible clip to hold it on to the belt and it will not stay attached.  It slips loose and the knife wants to fall off your belt.  I fixed this issue by glueing the clip in place, this removes the versatility but it keeps the knife on your belt.  This is a small knife with only a 3.4 inch blade and an overall length of 7.8 inches and it weighs in at a light 3.77 oz.  I have found that this is one of my most commonly used knifes around the house.  Any time I am doing yard work or working on a project in the garage I slip it on my belt.  As a utility knife the serrations have actually come in handy as I find myself cutting string, rope, Weed-eater line you name it.  The blade has stayed sharp with only minimal maintenance and the coating has held up very well.  You can commonly find this knife for about 20 dollars on sale or online so it is very affordable.  It is thicker than most Mora?s and being full tang I have no problem banging on it when needed.  It is very comfortable and the handle is very ergonomic and very grippy when wet.  I have used it to cut everything from rope, to grass when laying sod, to trimming small branches when I was to lazy to go grab the clippers.  My 10 year old son has also used the knife at several of this cub scout campouts to do cub scout things such as turn sticks into spears and generally whittle on as much wood as he can.  The sheath holds the knife well after two years and shows no signs of slippage.  The knife will still make feather sticks and will strike a ferro rod very well.  After two years of use I can not recommend the knife enough.  If you want a good small utility blade to throw in a tool box or a pack or the glove box of your car you can?t go wrong with this little gem.
Exploring texas bushcraft
www.roundrockoutdoo rs.com

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Re: Bear Grylls Compact Fixed blade 2 year review
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »
Great review. I've long been a Gerber fan but I have no experience with the BG series. Good to know they are not just gimmicky but solid knives. At $20ish, good for one in multiple vehicles, emergency kits, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
My son has had this knife since it came out.  IMHO it is a good knife.  I used to love Gerber back when most everything was made in USA.  Even though this isnt USA made, it still is a good lil knife.  Good review. 
OINK!

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »
While am still not a fan of Mr. Grylls, your review gives me reason to reconsider the knife.  Thanks for the review.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
While am still not a fan of Mr. Grylls, your review gives me reason to reconsider the knife.  Thanks for the review.

I dont like the fool either.  But the knife isnt full of gimmicks.  For 20-30 bux it is a decent deal IMHO. 
OINK!

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
Appreciate the update. I too have long been a gerber fan. Glad to hear it has served you well. Sure can't beat it for the price.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:18:40 PM »
I just wish Gerber would make these knives without serrations.
-John Denver

Offline vallehombre

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the review. Not familiar with the knife but like others have been a fan of Gerber in the past. How is the handle? Any trouble with hot spots during use?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »
I just wish Gerber would make these knives without serrations.

I have to jump on the Gerber band wagon, I've been a Gerber fan for over 50 years,  I've had quite a few of Gerbers knives since they made the move to China,  my first was a Gerber Profile, I put it through hell and it was ready for more,  I was so impressed with the knife that I gave it to Woodswoman when she needed a bushcraft knife a couple of years ago, and as far as I know it's still  her go-to fixed blade knife.
 I've also had several Gerber Bear Grylls gen 2 Survival knives,  all have been great knives for the money, so much so that I've gifted a few to my grandkids for their first outdoor knives.

I also am not a fan of serrations on knives,  while they are good for some applications,  they don't do well as general purpose blades,  today most of Gerber's offerings are available in either plain blade or serrated versions, this wasn't the case when I bought my first BGUSK,  I used the knife hard in testing, it did a great job well past it's $40.00 retail,  but the serrated edge didn't fare as well,  I ended up taking a file to the serrated edge then reprofiled that part to create a one sided chisel edge like that on the Tom Brown Tracker,  it didn't take long to do and didn't require much in the way of skill,  but it did improve the function of the knife by 100%.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:39:20 AM »
I looked for one like this on eBay but prices have gone up and this type of blade is now in the $30 bracket.  And I did see a few of the non-serrated blades, too.  Just seems to me that if you keep your knife sharp, you really don't need serrations.  Maybe that is a big "IF".
-John Denver

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »
thanks for the review. one of my coworkers carries one everyday. He is ruff on a blade and other than sharpening ever so often its held up great. no chips or rolled edge
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 08:23:34 AM »
thanks for the review. one of my coworkers carries one everyday. He is ruff on a blade and other than sharpening ever so often its held up great. no chips or rolled edge

The steel is a little soft, as i have noticed with Gerbers post circa 1995, but it is better than some.  I have a paraframe that will turn into a butter knife if you look at it wrong.
OINK!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
Thanks for the review....it's always interesting to see actually use results....not a You Tube vid where the guy open the package.
I read these reviews and see the results.....and are all pretty generic ...........a knife is a knife is a knife.
Glad it's working for you.....as most any knife will do the basic task asked of it...regardless of price.

So my question: Why did you choose this knife in the first place over the 100's of similar offerings for same money?

Many people avoid BS stuff, because is is BS stuff ("Bear Grylls" stuff in this case....not BS  the other) and other do look for it because it is BS stuff.

Edit, Just realized the Bear Grylls is B.G....not B.S.....Hummmm why does BS stick in my head?

That said, and I do like Gerber Products.....Just wondering of it was a "well we will see how this is....or I'm out to prove the knife is worth the money.
Would you have purchased the same product with out the BS on it?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:48:22 AM by hunter63 »
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolverine_173

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 08:57:55 PM »
nice overview

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 06:53:18 AM »
I can't imagine the ribbing I would get if I pulled out a Bear Grylls knife at a Kracaneuner meet.   lol

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 07:10:20 AM »
I can't imagine the ribbing I would get if I pulled out a Bear Grylls knife at a Kracaneuner meet.   lol

LOL, who knows,  you might start a new trend.

But then again,  I wouldn't wear one to one of our meets either.   (big grin)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »
I kind of like the design but would prefer a different color and handle material.  Good review.  Thanks
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)