Author Topic: superbowl night  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
superbowl night
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:32:19 PM »
my wife mentioned last week the SB was being played sometime future(i wasnt listening for scheduling purposes); I asked if she was talking about yeardballrastlin(she laughs easily). That's about the time I got out axe and adze to start the other half of a branch I split for the bark-up bowl. The other 1/2 was bark down and was more or less done.

The drawknifing shown in the hold-fast post was brief, as was any time with gouges. Most of my time was spent with the knives in my spoon gear post. Maybe the octagon handle gets a 3 out of 5 for comfort. I like the facets, so I'm thinking to try for 12 sides, or 16. But I bet they'd end as mora ovals when i get done futzing with it.

I was doing some physical therapy last year-ish after carpel tunnel release surgeries -right and left. Looking at my hands with the guy I asked; what's this, and that? He called it "trigger finger". I have bumps and now calluses over those tendons-right and left hands. When I was making that toy kitchen there was an actual trigger finger response one night with my left ring finger spazzing. I think of my body as my servant, but seems(after much research) I cannot fire or replace it.

None of that is to say these pics are worth the reading if you made it here, only that the feel and sounds of making the curls and chips is way more fun than TV to me. I'm not even saying that I think these are good carving. I just decided to stop when it occured to me I have more pieces of wood and can start over. It's fun.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Re: superbowl night
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:10:34 AM »
Really beautiful work, Unk.  I would love to try doing that but we no suitable wood around Houston. Oak, pine and Cypress is pretty much it.  Thanks for sharing.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:05:46 AM »
Nice pieces Unk......  If you are not a football fan (gasp!) then that is a fine way to spend an evening or ten. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 04:08:16 PM »
Thanks for the kindness, Stan and QC!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »
Awesome work!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »
Awesome work!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes it is!  I can't find where it says what kind of wood it is.  You may have mentioned it before, but I can't remember. :P

Gorgeous workmanship......I love the shapes.  You have a great sense of design, Unk!  I wish you would have pictured them with some common item, so I could get a better sense of their size. :[
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 08:18:43 PM »
Very nice of you guys to say. Thank you.

Something to scale;shoulda thought of that.  They fit at least 3, maybe 4 onions, or a bit over 13"x4"

edit:

the wood is ice storm maple. unsure exactly what common name it would be, just a soft maple that came from a branch about 5-5.1/2" diameter that a nearby neighbor piled at the curb.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:01:41 PM by Unknown »

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »
Wow, two beautiful pieces!  Thanks for posting, gives me some ideas for Christmas!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
great design and execution.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)