Author Topic: Bullies of Bushcraft 2016 Trip Report (Feb 25-28)  (Read 2405 times)

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
Bullies of Bushcraft 2016 Trip Report (Feb 25-28)
« on: February 28, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Met up with some of the boys this weekend. Here's your trip report....

We had fun. We ate a lot of good food, especially baked goods made by YellowYak. We drank. We set wood on fire. We ate bacon. iMoose ate a grub. the rest of us didn't.

we told true stories, sea stories, and maybe swapped a few lies. everyone pitched in, with both the work and the great conversation. great group of guys to camp with. we enjoyed ourselves immensely, and no one was there to tell us what to do, or say "this ain't bushcraft."

we took pics, so I guess it happened...

The guys, from left to right: BigHat, YellowYak, Wilderbeast, madmax, CrashDive123, and iMoose in front.

All in all, a great time was had. And Crash, my wife claimed the knife shortly after I got home. She said she'll use it more than I will, and she really likes the color blue too. She thinks the blue jean micarta is awesome. She said it's real pretty, but she will use the hell out of it too, so expect some pics this week of your knife skinning, gutting, and portioning some chickens and rabbits.

Thanks again guys for such a great weekend.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: Bullies of Bushcraft 2016 Trip Report (Feb 25-28)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
A great time was had by all!!!!!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
And Crash, my wife claimed the knife shortly after I got home. She said she'll use it more than I will, and she really likes the color blue too. She thinks the blue jean micarta is awesome. She said it's real pretty, but she will use the hell out of it too, so expect some pics this week of your knife skinning, gutting, and portioning some chickens and rabbits.

Thanks again guys for such a great weekend.

Looking forward to the pics.  Hope she likes it.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »
Ahhh..I missed this... *facepalm*
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:52:02 AM »
Really enjoyed the camp guys.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
Looks like a great time. I sure am sorry I missed it. I'm glad you guys were blessed with good weather.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:56:43 PM »
Great reports, guys.  Bighat, can you put some names with the faces in your last photo?
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:22:56 PM »
Great reports, guys.  Bighat, can you put some names with the faces in your last photo?
He did.....right above the photo.  Texans, like deer, never look up. :rolleyes:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:37:31 PM »
I knew that.  :-[
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
Had a great time camping with the Bullies of Bushcraft this past weekend. It was great meeting Wilderbeast, BigHat, and our new forum member iMoose. The Krac invasion included myself, CrashDive123 and MadMax.

I left Sarasota around 3:45 am Thursday and arrived in Ocala a little after 6:00 am to pick up MadMax. After loading up MadMax's gear, we got on the road to Jacksonville to pick up CrashDive123. We had a nice leisurely drive up to Troy, NC, stopping at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and just taking our time. After a few gas, pee and smoke stops, we arrived at the campsite a bit before dark and met up with Wilderbeast.

Here's a picture of Tony (MadMax) and our Florida travel vehicle and little trailer. We don't pack light for our camps.

The park was in a beautiful area of the Uwharrie National Forrest. Wilderbeast had secured for us (and paid for, thanks Mike) a very nice group site. A short walk away were I think 9 individual campsites with two vault toilets. Unlike a lot of Florida campsites, these individual sites were not right on top of one another, allowing plenty of space between sites.

There was also a hiking path close by of around 3/4 of a mile that Crash and I hiked that connected you to what seemed to be a popular hiking trail called the Uwharrie Trail. We found a few rock piles on top of one of the step hills.

Here's the start of the trail path.

Here's the rocks at the top of the hill above our camp. I have no clue what type of rocks these are.

Crash is a machine. He didn't stop the whole time we were at camp. Here he is processing what would be a large pile of firewood.

Dave's camp to the right, mine in the middle, and Wilderbeast's to the left.

MadMax's (Tony) Kelty dome tent. Notice Dave's new winter boots. Looks mighty toasty.

BigHat's shelter.

Saturday morning.

iMoose's Saturday morning breakfast. I stuck with the cinnamon rolls in the background and a couple of farm fresh eggs that BigHat brought along from his chickens.

Wilderbeast bringing something else out from the onboard inventory from his truck. The man had MRE'S to try (Friday lunch), some grid strapping material (Crash and I purchased a roll), knives (thanks for gifting me that small knife), and of all things, a networking converter for transitioning from fiber to copper cabling for backbone network interconnecting (I'll let you know how it works).

We ended up leaving Saturday Sunday morning around 8:30 am. Of course we hit the first Cracker Barrel we found once we hit I-95 southbound. I ended up getting home a little after 11:00 pm.

Thanks guys for a great time, I had a blast. Looking forward to some future camps with you guys.