Author Topic: New Mora Eldris  (Read 12057 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: New Mora Eldris
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2016, 10:10:12 PM »
From the description on the PDF, the handle is 3.4" in length.  Admittedly, my hands are not large, but I just measured on a ruler and I can wrap all four of my fingers around a handle of that length.  One thing I do know......I ain't gonna argue with anybody bigger'n me!  :P  :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »
I don't know if Moe and Wolfy have ever met in person but I can see the two of them sitting at a table drinking coffee aruging about everything. Then at the end of the day going home looking forward to doing it again the next day.

I posted this thread to hear everyone's thoughts.
I have knives that fill this nitch, still I got room for one more.

Igm,  please don't confuse the discussion Wolfy and I are having with an argument,  we are close friends on line and seldom disagree,  and when we do we have to take advantage of the opportunity.   

:shrug:

I can tell the two of you are friends, the way you guys argue some might think you are married :rofl:
I think it funny,
At $25 I might get one someday. Too many other knives I want right now & I don't need any of them.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »
  IMHO,  the best all around bushcraft knife is the one you are most comfortable using,  In my knife drawer(two of them) I have fixed blade knives by MLL, Blindhorse knives, Enzo, Fallkniven, Iz Turley, a AS Bushlore,  and Jeff White, and (believe it or not) a Mora that was reworked with a ironwood handle and brass pommel plate, as well as some vintage Western Cutlery (Camillus), Case, Buck, Puma,  and American made Gerber's, Browning, and Remington.
  Out of all my knives the two that I use and enjoy most are modified butcher knives,  one is a Old Hickory that was made into a Kephart style,  I put Curly Maple scales on it,  and handled a ferro rod from the same piece of wood,  and made a custom leather dangler sheath for it,  I gave it to my son the last time we went on a day hike,  the other is a circa 1950's Case Butcher knife that I cut down to 6 inches,  again in the shape of a modified Kephart.
  For my money,  If a man on a budget wants an excellent woods knife he/she could do worse than spending $10.00 bucks on an Old Hick and spending a couple of pleasent hours making it his/her own,  they are made of excellent high carbon steel,  easy to sharpen,  take a razor edge and hold on to it through a lot of work,  they are full tang, 1/8" thick, and will throw sparks when struck with a flint or sharp piece of chert, and if you should loose it or break it your only out $20.00 bucks,  ten for the one you lost and another ten for the new one you'll will surely buy to replace it.   ;D 
 Or for a little more one could buy a Mora Bushcraft Black (probably the best woods knife Mora has ever offered) and have all the knife one would need on the trail or in camp.

Did I just say that ?     :shocked: 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2016, 04:57:39 AM »
Somebody alert the media.......
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
Older thread but countycomm.com has the Eldris for $21.95.  :popcorn:
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 07:11:36 AM »
I'm gonna wade in here, but my comments are more in general terms and not the Eldris per se.  I'm not comfortable using a 3 fingered knife.  I don't feel like I have good control with them.  I've tried 'em.  They just don't work for me or maybe, I just don't work for them.  As far using one as a neck knife...........wel l, I don't have any of those, either.  After working in a business for over 30 years where I had crap hanging around my neck the entire time, I'm not too keen on doing that any more.

A little late,  but better than not at all,  carrying a neck knife has it's pro's and con's,  back a hundred years or it seems ago when I was period trekking a hunter/explorer following the path of the Eastern Longhunter usually carried two or more knives and a Hawk or belt axe.
  One of the knives was usually a long knife carried in a leather sheath tucked into his sash or belt,  one may have been a penny (folding) knife,  and a third may have hung around his neck or on his hunting (shooting) pouch,  I found at the time that a good neck knife was a mighty handy thing to have for odd jobs that required a small and nimble blade,  I used mine for prepping food,  shaving bark or feathering for tinder,  cleaning fish and skinning the occasional squirrel,  and for cutting round ball patches.
  That was then,  today my needs are different,  I find it much handier to carry a good pocket knife,  I've worn a neck knife a few times while bush roaming but find that it gets annoying after a short time when I don't wear one quite so often as I used to.

** Has anyone picked up a Mora Eldris and put it to the test ?       

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 08:39:48 AM »
I ordered one for $21.95 but haven't received it yet? I'd be interested, too, if anyone has used/tested one?

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
I got the Eldris last week but haven't played with it much. Mine is  stainless, nor sure if carbon is available. Here are a few pics for scale.

It's a chunky little package - right at 6 inches.

I'd call it a full-sized handle ... at least for me. Handle size and texture should allow a solid purchase even with wet/cold fingers but it's not really a small sleek knife. I might wear it as a neck knife but haven't tried it out yet.

Here it is with a Companion HD.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the photos especially the in hand one.
I am still on the fence about it. I know I don't need it but kind of want one.

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »
I go back and forth on this one. To big to be a neck knife or pocket fixed blade....IMO.  What niche does it fill? 

Still...for the price it might be worth giving it a chance. I bought the Garberg and really like it alot.  I was on the fence with that one too!

You guys gotta work on being better enablers!   :taunt:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the pics sarge. I feel enabled. For a little while the taste of carbon steel and apple was nostalgic. I'm over that now. How's the knife for peeling and slice on an apple. I like to peel, and then take off bite size pieces until whittled down to the core, rather than biting or pre-slicing the whole thing. It's a new thing, been taste testing all the varieties again and eating lots of apples lately. A very enjoyable way to snack

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
I'm no expert enabler but I do dabble. Haha.

I thought I'd roll the dice on it for $21.95 ... it is $28.95 on Amazon.

Like Gizamo said, it's big for a neck knife - or at least seems so to me. I might reconsider after I wear it but I think I'd like something slimmer and sleeker. For a knife to throw in a bag or pack, I'd much prefer the Companion and there is very little weight difference.

I'm not gonna trash it yet. I'll take it in the woods and give it chance.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
  It's no secret around here that I'm not a huge fan of Mora Knives,  what is not widely known is that I was at one time and still have great memories of many hunts,  fishing, and camping  experiences that all included using my vintage Mora's.
  Those were the ones with the Birch handles and finer finished blades that weren't so prone to chipping and edge rolling,  they came with real leather sheaths back then and could be made scalpel sharp and touched up easily.
  Granted, todays Moras are great performers For Their Price Point,  their new lines of HD outdoors knives are a good choice for those looking for decent performance for very little investment and don't mind carrying a non traditional knife with rubber handles in a cheap plastic sheath.
  Knife snobbery aside,  I still have allot of respect for Mora and Hultafors knives considering their cost vs. ability,  my personal preference runs to 1095 or 0-1 steel,  nice exotic wood scales and leather sheaths,  blade length is also a consideration,  four inches is my minimum, but I do have a couple that run under like my Enzo Trapper at 3-3/4",  I prefer a blade length
closer to 5" inches,  most of my knives are Convex but I'm warming up to Scandi. 
  OK, back to the Eldris,  I'm trying to understand the draw that this knife would hold for an outdoorsman,  not the bush hippy spandex wearing through hiker or climber who can hike the whole Pacific trail with nothing but a pen knife and a finger nail clipper,  but the average bushcrafter who builds stuff in camp, processes fire wood,  cleans fish and small game,  can you really comfortably peel potatoes or fillet a Blue Gill with one of those sawed off stubby handled knives ?

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
I don't have one and really don't see myself longing for one.The proportions just look out of wack to me. When I first saw it I thought it would maybe make a good boot knife.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2017, 09:32:54 AM »
I look at the Eldris and wonder the same thing.  Just don't see it as all that useful when compared to other knives.  Maybe a good carving knife?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
I look at the Eldris and wonder the same thing.  Just don't see it as all that useful when compared to other knives.  Maybe a good carving knife?

I did watch a video a couple of days ago that was a review of sorts,  the reviewer used a hatchet to process down his firewood to finger sized pieces then used the Eldris to split it to pencil lead sized and cut feather sticks and shavings,  this he accomplished well with the little knife,  then he cut a few vegetables and a sausage,  the sausage wasn't a problem but the veggies were harder to cut uniformly.
 He also tried to carve out a spatula but because of the short length of the Eldris blade it was enough of a problem for him that he switched back to the hatchet to finish the blade of the spatula.
  All in all it didn't appear to be a planned negative review,  the impression I was left with was that the Eldris is a specialty knife in that it's small, sharp, and handy for cutting cordage, and like odd jobs,  but it's not a blade that one would carry as a general purpose camp or trail knife. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2017, 02:13:50 PM »
Thanks Moe.  Pretty narrow niche for a knife.  Won't be one in my kit I guess.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »
To each his own but I don't think the Eldris was ever to be a general do all trail knife. I see it as a lightweight option, a backup, a food prep / wood carving blade.
Even a kit knife to have just in case. Not to replace your main blade but supplement , back it up

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
I agree Igm. That's why my first thought was boot knife.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »
I thought it was a back pocket, non-folding knife. To be used in the same functions as a pocket knife.

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
I have ordered one. I'm also seeing it as a secondary or even tertiary blade. Neck knife nice and light (fingers crossed)

I believe they are all 12c27 stainless..

The handle is bigger than expected and looks perfect for my hands (small-medium)..

I won't judge it til I have held it in my hands.. I really cant see a huge benefit with the compound grinds..