Author Topic: Old JD 2010. Mistake?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Old JD 2010. Mistake?
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »
I picked up a 1962 John Deere 2010 with a 47 HP diesel. I'm not sure it was a great deal. I paid $2500 and it looks like the loader alone sells for that. The loader is in excellent shape.

The engine may need a head gasket. possibly rings and pistons too. Lots of white and blue smoke. low power. Runs very smooth with no knocks or rattles.

I can get $2000 for the tractor alone as is right now. Should I sell it and look for a 3020 for the loader or keep and repair?

I am keeping the loader no matter what. It's what I wanted. I bought the books and am studying them now. I will make some calls tomorrow to see what parts are available and costs. I am thinking I will do the head gasket and pull the pistons to check condition of them and the cylinders. If it looks good I will put it back together with new rings pistons and gaskets and try to sell it for $4500. Then buy a 3020?

I mention a 3020 because that's what this loader came from the factory on. It's a little big for a 2010.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Old JD 2010. Mistake?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
A 3020 is going to run a lot more money than your 2010.  If you need a 70 hp tractor then by all means get one but it really depends on what you are going to do with it. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »
Do a compression test so you know what the numbers are .
Injectors can give you issues as well .
Polly worth 2500 or more to the right guy as is without the loader .
If you were closer I'd be calling if I saw the ad .

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 08:24:25 PM »
If it was mine i would get the engine problems fixed and keep on. I like the older tractors with less electronics much better than the new ones.

Plus "Nothing runs like a Deere"
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:07:45 AM »
I worked for a man in Longview, Tx who collected tractors. He said he had more than 12 but fewer than 30 so I don't know how many he had.  I think he had a steamer or two. Thank the Good Lord I am not similarly afflicted.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Rancher

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »
Do a compression test so you know what the numbers are .
Injectors can give you issues as well .

+1
You would be amazed at how long the old JD's will run in this condition.
Definitely a keeper

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 11:19:27 PM »
Thank you all. I'm going to pull the pan off and look at the cylinders from the under side. If I don't see a lot of scoring and damage I will pull the head.

I definitely have exhaust coming out of the radiator. Will injectors cause that? I read that the copper washers in the turbulence chamber can go bad and leak coolant into the cylinder. That should only cause white smoke I would think. It would be nice if it was just the injectors.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
Is it blowing steam out of the oil breather tube, too?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
No smoke from the oil breather tube. The guy I bought it from said the crankcase was pressurized. Not so. It throws oil out of the dipstick/fill hole but it's the rods spinning in the oil.

I have it all torn down. Cylinders all look very good and the tops of the pistons are very clean. I did not find a "bad" spot in the head gasket. The second cylinder exhaust port had a lot of carbon buildup.

I am going to pull the number one piston today. It seems to wobble in the top of the cylinder more than the others do.

New head gasket and rings will be here Friday afternoon.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »
So, While cleaning the head I found a crack. From the turbulent chamber to the intake valve seat. On all four cylinders.

I happened to find one on e-bay and cut a deal for $600. My company is going to have a driver swing by and pick it up for me. No shipping.

A re manufactured head would have been $1500+ a $500 core charge. If this head has something wrong with it I'll be going down that road...

I took the fuel injectors to get checked whether or not they were working correctly. They were not. They rebuilt all four of them with spare used parts they had, ( all discontinued ) They didn't ask me if I wanted them rebuilt. Then wanted $75 each. I put up a fuss. A bad head cracked and unrepairable what good are new injectors ? Now I paid $85 which was the cost of testing. I didn't know I was going to fix or scrap this at that point. Still don't really. It could have so many other issues hidden.

I'll give it my best. I hope to get at least 5 years out of it before it totally dies.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 05:37:56 PM »
That ain't good. :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
Sometimes these things are just a money pit and you can't fill it up.  Hope the rest is smooth sailing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 06:59:22 AM »
Nothing runs like a deere. Nothing costs as much to maintain either. That green paint must be costly stuff.

Very little if any after market exchange parts. I did find glow plugs that will fit. I can get all four for the price of just ONE from JD.

Offline SCB

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 05:17:29 AM »
I wish I would have seen this thread sooner. I speak from years of experience in the "classic tractor" business. The JD 2010 and 1010 are to tractors what the ford pinto and the chevy vega are to automobiles.  These are some of the handful of models that Deere and Co. wish were never made. The 20 series (like the 3020) are much better and more common units and
are a big reason Deere is an industry leader today. The 20 series has a much larger aftermarket support and are everywhere in the salvage yards.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 06:10:58 AM »
YESSIR!  I plan on buying a 3020 to put the loader on. There are a few for under $8000. I paid $2500 and figure I got the 2010 free. They run close to $3000 on craigslist.

I did put $1100 into the engine. I'm waiting on new valve cover and oil pan gaskets. It should run now that I have the valves properly adjusted "by the book"

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
Well it runs and moves. I need a new starter. I think it just tirns over way too slow to fire.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
That's killer! Glad it is working out xj. I love tractors. We had several cool ones growing up. More than several fergusons we loved to hate,  I've always wanted to redo a farm all. I still crave the project but as of today I'm glad I've spent the money elsewhere.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 05:48:29 AM »
M best friend has his grand fathers John Deere A. I think it's a 1948. it has a large snow blade on the front that lifts via cables through pulleys to the rear 3 point arms. Still runs great.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »
My 63 Oliver 550 just keeps on going.  It has been a great little tractor over the last twelve years or so.  I want a new one but really no reason to do it.  I like that 35 hp Kubota with a loader. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »
Very cool!  Glad it's running and it sounded good.  That is taking scalping your lawn to a new level though ;)
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »
That's the electric line ditch that settled in. Trying to level it out. At the same time kind of digging out a little "grotto" in our side hill where I have a fire pit setup.