Author Topic: canoe/kayak camping/sailing help...  (Read 1856 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
canoe/kayak camping/sailing help...
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
I want to canoe camp and sail. Maybe a 5 day trip.  I would like some help with the setup and packing.

My canoe has a very small 3/8" square aluminum gunwhale. This makes it hard to attach anything. I will need to change this to maybe a furring strip. Along the inside edge stainless screwed and epoxied on, just inside and under the aluminum.

I really want a small sail. like the wind paddle. I can make my own. I like it because it is so easy to attach and can be angled easily by pulling and standing on the lines to adjust.

http://www.windpaddle.com/

I do not have a keel. I would need keel board in front I think.

Anyone have links to share? This doesn't seem to have it's own niche online. I found a few sites about fishing/hunting or about tourism/travel. Not a lot of help on setting up or rigging a canoe.

Here is an idea I found and thought it would be a great addition to storage and stability. I wonder if it would act keel like to prevent going in circles?

I would like to sew a silnylon tarp that fits the canoe, that I could prop up enough along the center to sleep inside. Maybe snap or velcro to the side. It's 3.5 feet wide 15 feet long and has a load capacity of 700 lbs. I have options...

That wooden pallet is my wooden rack for the truck. it's 8' long

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: canoe/kayak camping/sailing help...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
Did a quick Google search and quite a few options appeared.  Here's one.....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sailing-Rig-for-a-Fiberglass-Canoe/

http://www.storerboatplans.com/Canoebits/KayakRig.html

Check YouTube, there are a lot of options there.

Happy sailing! :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »
This video you posted I want to critique. First the outriggers are high as this canoe is only going to have a 2" at most draft. If they are adjustable I don't see any kind of support for the leverage against the water. I think they will fold.

The mast and boom seem heavy, add wind pressure and there are going to be some tipping and snapping.

With that setup how comfortable can  he sit and paddle and were does the gear go?

I like this one. very similar. Has more room for gear and less ropes in the way.

I like that instructable one. That would be easy to do in mine.

Really curious about packing. keeping the dry bags inside in a roll. If you look at the inside bottom of mine it has reinforcement ridges. Going to make sleeping a bit difficult.
Maybe I can lay a piece of Luan on foam for a secondary floor?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »
Yeah, I was just providing you with a place to start looking......I have to admit that I didn't watch any of them, but there are a LOT of YouTube videos available.  I just typed in 'homemade lateen canoe sailing rigs' and got a whole raft of them to pick from.  Have fun! :cheers:

I never took sailing, too seriously.....we just tied a rain poncho to a couple of sticks and let the bow-person hold them erect.  It works pretty darned good and if you get in trouble, all you have to do is drop them. ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:02:09 PM by wolfy »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 12:16:43 PM »
Here it is. Almost done. I used self tapping screws that will become nut and bolt later when it is proven to be a good setup. Quick and easy to assemble this way and easy to make changes.

I used a popup canopy for the dark gray parts and 1" square aluminum from an old tin shed that blew down.

Here you can see the cross brace of 1" square attached to the gunwale's. this is a good view of the 3/4' angle aluminum that sandwiches the mast tight when slid down onto that 3/4' square tin upright in the center.

Because this canoe has a ridge down the center, I couldn't really attach anything to the floor. That is why there are 3/4" angle braces and 3/4" bar tin braces. it seems to hold everything pretty tight. I can rock the canoe on dry land okay with the mast.

Here you can see the bracing and the aluminum mast in place. I am going to drill 3 more holes and use carriage bolts and wing nuts to hold it in place. I can remove the mast and all of the mounting hardware is even with or below the gunwale. That way it doesn't catch when sliding it across the tailgate./roof. It is light weight and still gives me room to store some things and something to attach to.

As of right now the mast is 8' tall. about 7' 4" above the gunwale.

I haven't decided on the sail yet. I did see one that looked like a kite upside down that I really liked.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
Have you figured out the keel issue yet?  Maybe fold down daggerboards?  Without resistance, you sail will be good for running (down wind) but won't reach or go upwind well at all.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 12:59:55 PM »
I have a short canoe paddle that was my emergency paddle. I have a kayak double and a regular size canoe paddle now. I'm thinking I can tie the shorty to the front brace and use zing it beneath the hull back to the top and really lash it tight to the side.

I may end up with a clamp on dual dagger later?  Maybe  pvc out riggers too.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
Lookin' good, xj! :thumbsup: :canoe:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
Nice workmanship on the mast holder. 

I have two concerns.  First is that a stiff wind could rip the side of your canoe out.  There will be a lot of force on the points where the frame is bolted to the canoe.  Second is the keel.  A canoe paddle is not big enough in my opinion.  I would definitely consider outriggers on each side and calculate the lift they would be subject to, given the size of the sail you choose.  The keel can be a bit smaller with the use of the outriggers I think.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
I'm liking this so far. I have a clip zip tied to the top center of the fiberglass tent pole outlining the silnylon. It clips to a metal ring that can slide up and down the mast. I used an eye bolt in the mast top and bank line to hoist the sail up. There is a loop in the bank line that I use a caribiner to lock it in position once it's up.

I have a quick release key chain zip tied to the lower mast and zip tied to the two zippers in the center of the tent doors I'm using as a sail.

I can clip and unclip both while on the water. I sailed it today and it held up very well.

I will need a dagger board and a larger sail but the mast mounting setup seems very strong.

This picture was before it was Rigged properly. I was just watching the mast for breakage. The wind was stronger here. died down by the time I hit the water.