Author Topic: EGYPTIAN WALKING ONIONS  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Re: EGYPTIAN WALKING ONIONS
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
"The Onions that Ate Nebraska"  sounds like one to miss.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
I'll say one thing about this thread......you never know what's going to draw people's interest. :shrug:   As of right now, it has had 50 replies and 900 views. :rolleyes:       It's kind of like an Egyptian Walking Onion patch.....gone VIRAL! :[ :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2016, 06:07:47 PM »
I'll say one thing about this thread......you never know what's going to draw people's interest. :shrug:   As of right now, it has had 50 replies and 900 views. :rolleyes:       It's kind of like an Egyptian Walking Onion patch.....gone VIRAL! :[ :lol:

That's kinda their effect, no matter where they are.......

Now horseradish is similar as far a spreading goes....but does it a little different.....even a broke off piece will start another plant....
Then there is mint....OMG.....sme lls better than the onions.....
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »
I keep hearing the Bangles.  And having weird dreams.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »
I keep hearing the Bangles.  And having weird dreams.
This sounds like a classic case of Alliumphobia to me, Tony.  :shrug:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
What's really bad is I played in Gainesville with hair like the Bangles (back then... no eyeliner) and somebody took a pic of me with hair like the History Channel nut's after a P&M trip.

Man,  I tell way too many secrets here.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
Mission: SOFWTWARE (Sneak Out For Wolfy Onions/Walking And/or Russian/Egyptian) was successful....    Arrival should be day after tomorrow , Wolfy. My guess, anyway.
;)

Couldn't send off yesterday, as I had to drive 50 miles one way, to work on a couple of small jobs for the eldest son, & didn't get back in time to send them off.

Still time to plant, I am thinking. They are sprouted, or at least most of them have some sprout.
:)

9505 5132 0006 6271 0294 97  < USPS tracking #

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2016, 04:50:27 AM »
Package delivered yesterday.
 ;)

September 29, 2016 , 8:36 am        Delivered, PO Box
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2016, 07:18:37 AM »
Package delivered yesterday.
 ;)

September 29, 2016 , 8:36 am        Delivered, PO Box

.....and just opened less than 10 minutes ago.  My brother brought the mail up yesterday and since Heather had coffee guests coming, she put the mail in the laundry room.  Why incoming mail is judged to be unsightly is beyond me. :shrug:   Anyway, they're going to have to wait to be planted for a few days now, since we are headed out on another sightseeing trip.....I love retirement!

Thanks a LOT, JB!   I'll get the books in the mail just as soon as I get back.  I was going to mail them a couple of days ago, but I guess you already know the story of the 'Apple-update fiasco' when I couldn't access any of my B&B member's addresses.  :(     Thanks again, old pard! :cheers:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
I might want to plant some next year. I tried planting an onion from the store that sprouted on my counter, and it grew and flowered, but it didn't get any of the little bulbs up top like I thought it would, possibly because there was no other onion to share pollen with.

I am interested to see if the bulb survives the freeze and comes up in spring.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »
According to what I read, this is the time of year to plant them.  The ones I got from hunter63 did not grow, but I planted them in the Spring and it was a HARD summer here.  JB was kind enough to send me some healthy looking seed/bulbs from the top of some that he found growing around an abandoned farm place.  When I get back from the trip they are going into the ground right away.  We'll see how they do next Spring. :)