Author Topic: Hiking - Camping - Fishing 05/12/16  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Hiking - Camping - Fishing 05/12/16
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »
Two friends and I went on a little overnighter Thursday and Friday in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We started at the Abrams Creek Ranger Station and hiked to Campsite #1. at the western most edge of the GSMNP.

Here is Abrams Creek at the trail head.

Cooper Road trail was formerly an old wagon road used buy early settlers in the area. Easy 1-mile hike to the campsite.

Here are my accommodations for the night. Kelly Noah 12' tarp, Grand Trunk ultralight hammock, and a wool blanket.

We set up camp then went for pretty tough 20 minute hike to another section of Abrams Creek to do a little trout fishing. I brought a Browning Safari travel rod which packed nicely.

Fished a couple hours but no trout. Used Rooster Tails (They have to be single hook, no trebles. No corn, salmon eggs, live bait, dead bait, etc.). Caught this little smallmouth bass.

Hiked back and messed around camp a bit before a thunder shower hit. Not much wind but plenty of thunder and rain. Stormed about two hours while I lounged ... and dozed ... in the hammock.

The rain moved on and we got a fire going. Temps went from mid-80's to lower 70's after the storm. Glad we thought to put some kindling in a garbage bag before the storm. My egg carton/sawdust/paraffin wax fire starters worked nicely. We ate and loafed around camp til bedtime.

Up about daybreak, ate breakfast and packed up camp. We fished a few spots on the way out but didn't catch anything.

Abrams Creek was quiet on the way in yesterday but was roaring today in places after the storm.

Overall a good trip, we expected the rain so it was no big deal, temps were cool, bugs weren't too bad yet. A few trout for supper woulda been nice. Campsite was nice and level with fire rings and creek access for water.

There was a bear attack in the the park the previous night. Bear bit a man through the tent while he slept inside. We didn't see any bears or any evidence in the areas we camped and fished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Hiking - Camping - Fishing 05/12/16
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »
That looked like a great little getaway.......just enough of a fish to keep you out of the 'skunked' category and enough of a rain event to test your choice of sleeping arrangement.  :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 03:34:06 PM »
Great looking place.  Nice fish, nice camp.  What more could one ask?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline U.W.

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »
Very nicely done Sarge

u.w.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:09:55 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ditto! & I wish I could have been there with you fellers.
:)

I miss the South in many ways.
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »
I'd call that a whopper.

Very pretty spot. Thanks for posting your trip

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 04:02:15 AM »
We love that area.  Make at least one trip a year there.  Seems like every year when we get up there there has just been a bear attack.  Oh well, considering the number of people that visit the park we're ok.

Sounds like a great trip.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »
Thanks, guys. No dirt time in a while. Had a great time.

I feel the same way about bear attacks, madmax. I respect the danger and take necessary precautions - hanging food, etc. - but statistically we are far more likely to be injured or killed in a car wreck driving to bear country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk