Author Topic: Spring Overnight Camping Trip  (Read 3022 times)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
Spring Overnight Camping Trip
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
Last weekend I went up north near the Canadian border for a quick overnighter.  I didn't take the dogs this time and there was a 4 wheeler trail so I could get the truck close.  I had two deer walk almost into camp while I was setting up.  The ruffed grouse were drumming all evening and several geese and a mallard drake was my alarm clock.  I enjoyed listening to coyotes during the night.  I got there about three in the afternoon, hiked a little, set up camp, cooked dinner and it was time for bed.  I got up cooked breakfast, drank coffee by the fire and left about 10:30.  Here's a little video I strung together, some taken with my phone and some with a GoPro. 

Here are some other pictures I took during the trip:

I took my Colt just in case:

Spam and potatoes:

Tarp Tent:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Spring Overnight Camping Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
Looked like a great springtime trip, Wes.....good to get out before the skeeters get too bad, too.  I was trying to identify the knife you had selected for the trip and it looked like it was well-suited to the task....any clues?  :shrug:

I think one of my grills is exactly like yours.  I bought two of them from a blacksmith at a local rendezvous, many moons ago......one like yours and one with room for two seperate pans or pots.  There have been many times when I used both of them at the same time, just like having a stovetop with differing burner temps. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:17:34 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
Awesome trip report. Very impressive camp setup and skills. The food looked great also. What was the weather like? I just got back from an overnighter on a River down here in Florida and it was 88* F during the day and around 65* F during the night. I didn't put in anywhere near the amount of work you put in to setup your camp.

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:45:36 PM »
Wolfy, Thanks for looking!  The knife is a TOPS B.O.B. Fieldcraft "tumble" finish blade and coyote micarts .  My wife got it for me at Christmas.  I like the blade shape and the handle is very comfortable.  It's about the right size for fire prep and general camp chores, but the blade is a little thick for food prep at .190 or 3/16s.  It really holds a great edge.  I find the scraper notch on the pommel useful for striking the firesteel.   The grill I got from Crazy Crow several years back.  They sell a larger one, also.  I have gotten a lot of use out of it, and its become one of my favorite pieces of kit. 

Yellowyak, Thanks for the compliment!  The temps were about 50F during the day and around 40F at night, so it was the perfect time to be out.  There weren't any mosquitoes, and I used permethrin and only found a couple ticks.

Wes 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
Nice video Wes.  Like Wolfy I wondered what the knife was.  Your camp looked comfortable and the way you left it when it was over is commendable. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:33 AM »
I like the cold handled skillet... and the pistol.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:34:54 AM »
That's a beautiful place. Looks like great trip, nice campin' temperatures. Nice gear...especially the Colt!

Did you make or buy the bucksaw?
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »
Thanks for sharing your trip! Looks like you had a great time!
:thumbsup:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 06:20:26 PM »
I like the cold handled skillet... and the pistol.
Thanks, the cold-handled skillet gets a lot of use, it's one of my favorite pieces of campfire cookware. 

That's a beautiful place. Looks like great trip, nice campin' temperatures. Nice gear...especially the Colt!

Did you make or buy the bucksaw?
Very comfy temps, just about perfect!  I got the bucksaw from Pole and Paddle

Thanks for sharing your trip! Looks like you had a great time!
:thumbsup:

Thanks, It was peaceful and a chance to reflect.  I need that every now and then!

Nice video Wes.  Like Wolfy I wondered what the knife was.  Your camp looked comfortable and the way you left it when it was over is commendable.

I appreciate it, the B.O.B. Fieldcraft worked well.  I don't really practice "leave to trace", but I like to leave it clean and leave as little of a trace as possible.  I hate to see litter scattered all over an old campsite. 

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 04:23:28 AM »
Looks like a great trip.  Thanks for taking us along.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
fun times.

thanks for sharing
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
fun times.

thanks for sharing

Thanks for the sub! Wes

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
Good looking camp, Wes.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »
Good looking camp, Wes.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:41 PM »
WMA's are a great resource. Thanks for showing us Pembina.

Is your shelter 2 poles? Did you make it at home?

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »
WMA's are a great resource. Thanks for showing us Pembina.

Is your shelter 2 poles? Did you make it at home?

Thanks!  It is a two pole shelter, a tarp tent I got several years ago from NWWoodsman.  I think David Ellis makes it now.  I've only used it 4-5 times.  It is very well made, but only big enough for me and one dog.   Wes