Author Topic: You know those "Face Shields" you see spammed all over the place?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
Yeah...if you don't have a Benjamin to spend on a twelve pack of em, or if you just like the DIY approach, try this:

I've  found it's better to cut further into the T shirt at an angle so that  the neck flap is deeper and the front that goes over your nose is the shoulder portion of the sleeve (avoids having the armpit seam rubbing on your nose).

I made a really nice one out of an XL/XXL polo shirt with the arm cuff cut off and rolled down and stitched around a piece of thin black elastic which comes out the back and is adjustable via a cordlock.

Or if you don't have any beat up T shirts, you can turn a T shirt inside out and into a "ninja mask"/headscarf...

Just saying...if you're broke, don't blow money on garbage Chinese face masks for any reason. You could probably even paint on a design if you really desired. I may paint a Cheshire cat grin onto my dark green one...
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
Re: You know those "Face Shields" you see spammed all over the place?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
Yeah, it's funny how these masks have become a fad especially among Anglers, it's a neat little hack Terkster thanks for posting!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
Yeah, it's funny how these masks have become a fad especially among Anglers, it's a neat little hack Terkster thanks for posting!

Good to see ya....Been a while

I use the cheapo bug nets from Wally World......but like the idea.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:54:04 AM »
Very cool. I bet you could use some dollar store foam board to make a little triangle, and sew it right to the cotton to make a nose hole. That would keep winter frost at bay.

I have a ton of old shirts...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:44:44 PM »
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:48:15 PM »
Gotta warn ya... using fabric paint makes the mask damn near unbreathable...if the intention is a double duty dust mask, then use marker and just reapply as often as possible ... I ended up having to poke holes through the painted areas to be able to breathe..lol...kind a defeats the purpose if you use it as I originally did, as a dust mask for the haying season...