Author Topic: It's hot but I'm still getting stuff acomplished  (Read 4299 times)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
It's hot but I'm still getting stuff acomplished
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
I've recently picked up a cheap short scale Squier bass and have totally modified the hell out of it. It's a sweet player now. All new electronics, a Mustang bass type bridge, BiSonic pickup, light weight tuning machines and a set of flat wound strings. It weighs 6lbs 7oz.

I've been using it at rehearsal and the wed. evening gigs we've been doing. Seen in this photo with an off road power supply and 40 watt amplifier I built it for.

I picked up some cheap parts off eBay and am in the process of building a short scale fretless Tele bass, I have a guy winding a custom 1951 Fender Tele bass pickup for it.

The parts,

I picked up rattle cans of wood primer, off white and light Surf Green for this project, beside the pickup I have a blank aged vintage cream Pearl pickguard ordered. All the rest of the parts will be stuff I have laying around.

Cut the Tele style headstock and made the router template for the neck, drilled, filled and leveled the string throughs.

This is all leading up to building a hand carved, arch top, hollow body, electric short scale bass, out of 100 year aged black walnut, Maple, and some Mahogany I've had for 15 years. I'll use another BiSonic or two in this project.

Come camp with the Florida Kracaneuners, where even our dirt has teeth."Pedicabo Ego Eam"

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Re: It's hot but I'm still getting stuff acomplished
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »
Good stuff, Hush.  Play something for us when you get some time.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »
Sure, maybe I can slap together a quick recording this Wed. evening at the weekly gig.

Come camp with the Florida Kracaneuners, where even our dirt has teeth."Pedicabo Ego Eam"

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »
Master blaster. Looking forward to cool evening around the camp fire and hush picking a tune or two.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »
Well, cool evenings anyhow "o)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
You're a wizard with the good stuff.  But what really sets you apart is making a gourd or cigar box rock.  See ya soon.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »
I got some irons in the fire. I've recently traded a PRS McCarty for a Guild Starfire, which is a kicks ass bass.

Then I came across this bass and couldn't pass it by, Ibanez AFBV200.

I should have the rest of the parts I need for the Tele bass by the middle of next week. I'll start painting the body in a day or two. I have other projects that I need to wrap up before the end of the month. A guy in Wisconsin is winding a vintage alnico 5 1951 P Bass pickup for me. I have surf green and off white paint and a vintage cream mother of pearl pick guard blank for this build.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
I wish the crowd here knew that major quitar builders have sought you as a builder.  Thanks for sharing with us pilgrims.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 05:24:36 PM »
Good to hear from you my man I thought you went and fell off the planet lol. Those are some serious looking pieces man. I can't wait to see one in person!
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:49:17 PM »
Ya ought to get out one night, Brownie, Al and I have been playing Wed. 6-9 or so at O'Dells in Lake City. My neighbor is part owner.

Making some progress on the short scale telecaster P bass. Almost all the parts are in. I ordered a few other parts, audio taper 250K ohm pot for vol, liner 250K ohm for tone, made up a simple tone Bleed. A 51 telecaster P bass chrome control plate. I drilled for the tuners, routed out for the '51 P bass pickup, I'm on the second coat of primer, still need to level it, once it's all filled and level I'll move on to the color.

This one should be a bad ass player.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:02:46 PM by hushnel »

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
Man I can't wait to see it when its done.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »
I got this far but when I started to level the color with the jitterbug sander the paint melted and made a mess. I've taken it down to the wood and spoke with Laurie, my rat rod building neighbor, about paint, then went to the auto body and automotive paint store and had them mix a lighter shade of seafoam green and put it into a rattle can for me. I'll start up again with primer but will wait until all this freaking rain stops.

Animal is coming over tomorrow to give me a hand putting an airconditioner in the workshop office. It has a dehumidifier setting that will bring the humidity down to were my finishes will be more successful.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »
Humidity and paint don't mix well.
Gonna be nice when you get it done
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »
Animal.  There's somebody I've neglected to stay connected to.  Maybe we can time a visit from both of us. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
Cool!

How many amp/hours is the battery for your power supply and how long can you run the amp before it needs to be recharged?

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 02:22:01 PM »
12 amp hour, it works out to around 20 hours plus or minus, the converter uses some power, the whole rig, including a 15 watt solar panel, fits into one of the orange boat boxes.

Started this morning around 7:00 am just came up to the house about an hour ago. Around 1:00 I found an excuse to jump on the Harley to pick up a part at Tractor Supply "o) I'm beat.

Since late yesterday I put on 3 coats of primer and leveled two. Should have the wall unit installed by noon tomorrow and will start painting the guitar body. Then I'm meeting up with a woman who had me make some art show display stands for her, then rehearsal at 7:00. We'll be playing at O'Dells in Lake City Friday evening.

Occasionally, for like 10 seconds, I wonder if I should have bought a golf cart and moved into a condo community "o)

Next month I'm heading up to the Northern Rendezvous 50 miles outside of Pittsburgh. A friend, Carol Leight of Hillcreek Fiber Studio invited me to work and demonstrate with her for the week of this rendezvous, this is an amazing complement, Carol is a rock star in the fiber arts community. She offered tent, pots and pans, pretty much everything I would need, all I have to do is show up with my bedding and clothing. Debbie decided to go with me so we'll bring our tent and carpet. It should be a blast, and just outside the city where we meet each other, where I graduated from Highschool and where I attended the University of Pittsburgh, for a couple of years.

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
Sounds like the whole retired thing fits you well my friend! Really can't wait to see the guitar when it's finished.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »
20 hours is really good run time.

I have been wanting to put together a little solar portable power setup for ham radio.

Looking forward to pics of that seafoam green one when it's done. My BIL had a powder blue stratocaster that looked really nice and that color is pretty close.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 06:21:04 AM »
I like Fender's Daphne Blue too, I've seen old ones that are road worn and faded, shifting slightly towards green that are really cool looking. The automotive paint guys here in Lake City will mix any color I can give them a sample of and load it into a rattle can.

I haven't used this sea foam green paint yet but if it's anywhere near as good as the primer they sold me I'll be happy. I should be shooting my first coat latter this afternoon.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
I started over on the paint, twice "o/, I've got it looking better, then today while routing the neck in the pickguard the plunge router cut into the template, trashing the pickguard and the template. So I got some more MDX and have plenty of vintage cream mother of pearl for another pick guard. It happens.

Maybe I'll get a chance to start on the new pickguard tomorrow.

It's coming along.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 03:40:26 PM »
Looking sweet.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »
Pretty much done, need a couple screws to adjust the pick up height, I'll probably solder up the electronics tonight, maybe in the morning. It's like a 15 minute job, the treble bleed is already wired and soldered, just a cap and 4 wires and done. Set up will take 30 to 45 minutes.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »
Beautiful Mike, great job.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
Too cool for school.  It's a wowzer.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 08:54:29 PM »
We're playing Friday night at Odell's in Lake City "o) if this thing turns out as well as I expect I'll use it at the gig.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
Looks great! I like the trimmed down pick guard much better.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 09:21:57 PM »
Thanks, yeah, I screwed up the first one, but still put it on the bass for the photo. WHen studying the photo I could see the imbalance.

Two problems, one was the difficulty in getting the edge of the pickguard to exactly follow the line of the instruments body equitably. The second one was too much plastic to surf green body, so I opened up the upper bout cutting down on the plastic exposing more surf green then used the MOP pickguard to flow down drawing the eye to the chrome bridge and control panel, making the balance between the plastic and wood rather than trying to balance plastic and wood in a more cemetrical way. If that makes any sense "o)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
Fired up the "P" Soup Tele this morning, freakin' wow, the shoemakers elves must have been at work in my shop last night. No way I made this thing.

Just wow.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 06:27:22 AM »
Right on Brother.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
Love the Tele! I almost bought a butterscotch 6-string Tele a couple years back. Someday.
What's that smell?

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 08:50:13 PM »
My main 6 string electric is an American Standard Telecaster. Traded a high end PRS for the Guild Starfire bass a couple months back.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 08:08:43 AM »
Starting another project, well, more like three. That quick P-Tele was just to get back in the game. It's a great bass, a lot of fun to play but I can do much better.

The next one will be from the ground up, mostly. I ordered a piece of Madagascar Rosewood for the fingerboard, a huge honking piece of Sassafras for the body, a couple of pieces of the 100 year old black walnut for the cap\top, and Honduran Mahogany I've had for at least 15 years for the neck. I also ordered a double action trussrod.

As I work on the above bass I'll likely have a quick project too, the instant gratification thing. I'm having trouble with my band saw and haven't figured out whats wrong with it yet, it will slow things down until I can get it up and running.

I got s good deal on a couple 30 scale fretless bass necks, I started building up layers of Poly to protect the Maple fingerboards. It's always good to have parts laying around for quick projects. I have enough parts to completely build a Telecast style 6 string too, my good friend and next-door neighbor has the body, he asked permission to be creative in the painting of it and I've given him the go ahead.

Maple over maple,

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »
Bandsaw bearings are not available. I may need a new saw. It'll slow me down but won't stop me.

I took one of the necks and glued together 2 pieces of 2" X 8" Home Depo Pine, cut it all out with a freaking jigsaw. I routed the neck picket and the pickup. Drilled and installed the tuning machines and set the bridge. Other than glueing up the wood I started this project Sunday.

I desided to do a flame type paint job on it.

Propane Flame "o)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »
I had hoped to get the control cavity routed out today, but couldn't find the templates, the roasted body looks pretty little cool and I really didn't want to cover it with a pick guard, as I was designing the pick guard, I decided to just make up a set of new templates. The body rout, the cover inset and with a piece of scrap I made a template for a Strat style phone plug output.

I had to sand down the clear coat on the neck to get a decent roasted color with no plastic or finish charing.

It's looking cool. Another few days and I should have it wrapped up.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
Are you going with a high gloss coat over the charred finish?

It would be neat to see one done with vinegaroon dye as well.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »
No, I'm using a satin oil based polyurethane. I'm on the third coat, the neck has got a great feel to it. I've routed out the control cavity on the back so I can avoid using a pickguard to hide the top channels for the electronics. I routed out the strat style phone plug output today. I could wrap it up in one good day but I'm short on time this week. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.

I have to make up the fruit cake before I take off on Thursday. I've been trying for a few years to rediscover my Aunt Jane's recipe and I think I've finnaly got it. I found her ingredients list written on the cover page of her 1896 Fanny Farmer "Boston School of Cooking" cookbook, if I want it ready for Christmas. It'll be an all day affair.

Thursday I'm meeting up with the Kracks then heading to south Florida to be with family for thanksgiving.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
Finished, sounds really clean, a little single coil hum but not bad, great articulation and evenness up and across the fingerboard.

Cheap Home Depot pine makes a great bass.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »
That finish turned out nice!

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »
Thanks, old school wood treatment "o)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 10:41:14 PM »
In the pic you can see the reflection from the chrome knobs on the wood. :thumbsup:

I remember back about 20 years ago I was with some friends at a guy's apartment who played a fretless bass. Pretty cool thing to see in person. He was really good too. It always amazes me how many truly gifted musicians exist out in the world who will never get a recording contract. So much unrealized potential.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 10:02:09 AM »
In many ways it's more of a loss for those that are the end listener. I'm sure most of us, at one time or another, dream of hitting the big time, those that do make it, either buy luck or phenomenal skill make huge sacrifices in controlling their lives and suffer when going out in public, everybody wants a piece of them, meaning their time.

Many of us, like myself, love the music and play what we want, we grow and move in and out of genres at our whim, we are playing and the audience is right there, those that chose to come up to us are welcome to and are either musicians themselves or really love music and it has very little to do with any kind of fame or curiosities along those lines, the recording star is playing what their fans want to hear, some of them are almost locked into their heyday, how boring and tired that must be. I play tunes I've played since I started performing, but they are songs I love and enjoy, not some lame assed tune that a bunch of frenzied fans demand.

Chuck Berry wrote some of the greatest tunes in Rock and Roll, an honest to God Godfather of the genre, did you know that the only song he wrote that went to #1 was a lame assed piece title "My Dig A Ling" no wonder he has such a bad attitude.

I ran into my buddy Albert after he came off a long road trip, he wants the big time and has worked extremely hard to get where he is, he was telling me how it was so much easier and more fun when he was a side man for Junior Wells, my proportion of envy is really low compared to my gratitude that it's not me. Many of the greats don't suffer this way but they keep a low profile and it can still be a chore to play private citizen when that feeling strikes. If Albert asked me to go on tour with him I would, even if only as a guitar tech, maybe one of the reasons I'm a bass player is the built in obscurity that comes with that position, but I would be done and could walk away. It's hard work, and an extremely hard life.

A huge plus is my band and I can choose to play any of the greatest tunes ever written and not be chained to some lame assed tune we wrote 40 years ago that's so dated and never really stood on it's own as a classic piece.

Music is a huge part of my life, I even listen to it from time to time, I play every day, I started a band in 1965 and have maybe 5 or 6 years since then that I haven't, even then I played. I've had three traumatic accidents that severely affected my hands and arms, that took a good amount of time to get back to where I was, music wise. But I have other interests and the time and resources to enjoy exploring them, not being able to do that and grow in what for me is a natural direction, would be the sacrifice.

What's that one tune, Thank God for un-answered prayers "o)  bingo.