Author Topic: $1 a yard ripstop!!!!!  (Read 2768 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
$1 a yard ripstop!!!!!
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:54:13 PM »
I have been looking into a tarp for my hammock for a few weeks. I just happened to browse a real deals dollar store and found this. 58" digital camo 1.1 ripstop nylon.

I stood there staring at it like it couldn't be. At a dollar store!! I bought 10 yards for $10.80 and it came out to 13 extra feet. The lady at the store measured out 6 floor tiles and pushed the roll to me. I stood on it while she rolled out 6 more tiles. 5 times and each time I gained material somehow.

I'll be making a 12' winter tarp out of it. NOT SIL! I picked up supplies for diy sil though.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Uncle Sam

• Mill File+
Re: $1 a yard ripstop!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »
Swank! :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »
Great price.  Photo when the swinger is done.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
Heck of a score there.  Heck at that price you should have bought the whole roll.  Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to the pictures.  Which winter tarp are you going to aim for?  If you've got some left over you could do a underquilt protector.  I've got one and I love it.  It really helps keep moisture from the morning fog of the quilt and does a great job of acting like a windbreaker as well.

I'd be like a fat kid in a candy shop if I had found ripstop for that price.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 07:30:01 PM »
Looks you might have tried to pull your tape measure out an extra  foot to get an accurate measurement. ;)

Congrats on the sweet score.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »
I tried to get a deal on the entire roll. They thought there was more there than I did though. Usually they come 100 yards I think.

It's a cash only store and a $10 is what I had.

I will get pics. I have the plans for the make your gear winter 12. Not sure on the cat curve. I think I will cut that and rehem later, If it's too sloppy.

I have shock corded guy lines.

I bought the wife a 2toutdoor 11 foot hammock that she knows nothing about. Ill be getting more material if they still have it Friday for her tarp.

Looks you might have tried to pull your tape measure out an extra  foot to get an accurate measurement. ;)

Err, you noticed that did ya? Yup. Guess where I bought it? LOL!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 06:16:32 AM »
Wow!  Heck of a score there!  Looking forward to seeing how your winter tarp turns out.  If it turns out amazing you could double up on your money by making me one ;) 

Seriously though looking forward to seeing your DIY tarp.  I've made three hammocks so far but can't convince myself to try a tarp yet.  At a dollar a yard though I could afford to try and not be worried about ruining one.
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Online Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »
Nice find! I'd like to see pics as you proceed, too.
Any man's life, told truly, is a novel.  -Ernest Hemingway

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »
You can see on the left is the 12 foot ridge line. On the right maybe you can see the door cuts on the ends.

The fabric in the center was the extra. easy under quilt there.

I pulled on the backside of the fabric a I sewed thinking I was keeping the seams straight. Bad move. you have to let the feet draw the material in. The first of the felled/french is done okay but I had to make a few adjustment to tension and stitch length.

I found a shorter stitch is much stronger and holds tighter. A youtuber said short stitches would cut through the thin material. Not on my testing pieces. I have the stitch length set at the middle ground on my machine. 0-4 it's on 2.

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »
Nice.  I'm sure she is going to love it.

When I sewed mine, I used a stitch about the same length as you are doing.  I slept in that hammock three nights a week for over a year.  Nothing pulled or ripped. 
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
It's done!!!  I had a ton of trouble with my singer. So...

I'm not real happy with the doors. There seems to be something not right. It should have a defined crease from the top of the ridge to the guy out line on the side of the tarp. One is very sloppy and I don't know why.

Maybe the way it's hung? This extra long ridge line is setup for the silicone to dry after treating it.

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
xj35s, check out the winter tarp DIY.  It might give you some insight.
https://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/tarps/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 07:19:33 PM »
Those are exactly the dimensions I used. I think I lost some of the 14" door during the hem. I didn't have a good "V" at the ridge.

I followed this pretty much.

http://community.makeyourgear.com/2016/05/10/diy-winter-tarp-tutorial/

I wonder if I hung it under the ridge line instead of on top of it? Not sure that would make much difference in the way the ends sag tho.

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
You can try changing the direction of your guylines so they are pulling back, inline with the D-ring on the ridgeline to the tie out.  I hope that made sense.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »
hmm...There's a few things you can try here...something simple though since it seems like you just need to get the door to hang tighter, and not be loose.  You could try adding lashing tabs half to 3\4 up the door sides and then tie them off to the ridgeline with bungee cord.  That might get them secured more and fix the issue. 

All in all though not bad at all my friend.  Definitely use-able and with the price this was the perfect time to try.  I think you'll get there with it and be happy.  Keep us updated...

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 07:16:30 AM »
This is acceptable.

This is not. I wonder if the tie out is totally in the wrong spot. Huge difference between the two. The other end seems fine. I need to fix this before the sil coating is done. I'll post in HF too.

I wanted it to be used as a rectangle full tarp as well as a winter, that's why I didn't cat cut it. It is holding up fine in this strong wind.  That little 5" flap can be cinched down with a couple more stakes. I have it hanging below the ridge line here too. All the stitching seems okay.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 07:35:37 AM »
You'll get it figured out.  That other end does look good.  HF will probably have some good ideas for you too.

The only thing I can't figure out though is why is that jeep purple???   :shrug:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
You'll get it figured out.  That other end does look good.  HF will probably have some good ideas for you too.

The only thing I can't figure out though is why is that jeep purple???   :shrug:

LOL! My wife didn't like the Yellow and Blue. Or the decals all over it.       

She did all the work too, My Country girl!!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:33:12 AM by xj35s »

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »
I think it looks great.  I'd happily hang my hammock under it.
Nice job.  Lots to be proud of there.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
I went ahead and coated it. full gallon of mineral spirits and 1 tube silicone. It worked very nicely. full saturation and it dried quickly with not a lot of smell. I think I'm going to saturate it one more time, I can blow through it. not as easily as before but if air can get through...

I'll get this out in the woods with a shorter ridge line hung much higher than here. Then maybe the angles will be better and it'll hang right.

Here is a short walk around so you can really see what three out of four corners look like.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
Did you treat both sides of the tarp with the silicone/mineral spirits mix or just one.....and if you go with a second treatment, will you do the same thing?  One side vs. both sides, I mean.

It's lookin' good, BTW!  :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
I had it hung up and released one end. I put that in the 5 gallon bucket and kneaded it then moved the bucket put more in and kneaded some more. Did that until I was at the other end. Once the whole thing was well saturated, I pulled it up found the d ring and hung it up on the line again.

I slowly worked to the other end pulling a little at a time out of the bucket being careful not to let it touch the ground. Once I hooked the other d ring I pulled it out and tied it as tight as I could.

The wind never let up. I have two spots that were real thick. I put one hand under and one on top and rolled them around balling up the silicone into little beads that I simply brushed off. There is still a thicker spot at that point but it's not bumped up above the material that much.

I'll do the same thing a second time But I will pay attention for spots that don't run off or thin out.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 06:50:40 PM »
"The only thing I can't figure out though is why is that jeep purple???   :shrug:"

Bruises.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
 :banana: I found silnylon!!!!  :banana:

The same dollar store had actual silnyon this time. I went in looking for other stuff. after all I already bout a total of 20 yard of their material. I noticed it was a new roll meaning they had a larger supply than I thought.

I felt it and it felt thicker/stiffer. checked closer and OMG! I had to do the blow test on it to be sure. You know that pain you get in the back of your jaw when blowing up balloons? Hell yeah!!

I had her go check the other rolls(skeins?) and all the others were like the first one. I seriously lucked out. I need to buy a lottery ticket!!!

I bought the whole roll which unfortunately rolled out to 18 yards. But that's a couple more tarps and a ton left over for other projects. I want to do a lightweight bivy/tent. For taking with me in the canoe.

I'll gift my leftovers to someone in a week or two....

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »
What a great find!  I'm happy for you.

If you have leftovers, you ought to make an underquilt protector.  Think windbreaker jacket for the underquilt.

I'll let Shug show you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNYZIx6-pVc

Here is their website.  http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/hammockaccessories.html

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »
It is looking like this might be silpoly. Even better if it is. Cat cuts won't be necessary and it will not stretch.

What do you think?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 07:37:44 AM »
Tarp II. I did a better job with this one. I did put one line loc 3 on upside down. It works though. I may go back and cat cut and hem but so far so good.

I locked it down close. half porch.

Then i closed it in semi storm mode.

The whole thing packs down pretty small although heavy. The stakes are 9". The tarp and 4 guy lines are in the large bag. hammock in the small bag. Two ratchet strap tree savers and 35' zing-it ridge line.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:44:44 AM by xj35s »

Offline U.W.

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »
That'll work quite nicely...

u.w.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 01:07:34 PM »
I guess I'm settling on this site for a more permanent camp location. I set up the first tarp I made and treated with silicone. I'm trying to see how well it sheds water. It is much lighter than the silnylon one I made. In the first picture you can see the two left trees where I will be stacking my firewood. I started cutting today with an old crosscut two hand saw.

I still have a lot of slack in the doors on one end. it's weird.

This is the good end with tight corners.

This is the other end. I couldn't tie it out any way to tighten the corners. Actually looking at this picture Maybe if I moved the peg further inside the "tent". YES! That is Poison Ivy on the ground here.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
We got rain through the night. I was at work of course but this am everything was dry. The ridgeline seeped some but I didn't seal it. It was very cool being able to see the droplets from inside and the material is totally dry inside.

Wolfy, I think that mineral spirit silicone deal is the way to go. This tarp is so much lighter than the silnylon or silpoloy Tarp I made second. If I can get the doors to close with tight  corners I'd be very happy. I might remove and sew the corner tie out again and make sure they are dead even.

:deadhorse:

This is the INSIDE!!!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
This is the second tarp. The stitching is much better than my first one. We are getting high winds and got 6" of snow last night. I'm going to leave this up over night to see if it's still holding strong in the morning. I'm trying to get my under quilt figured out. I think I'm going to use the military bag as an under quilt. I will also pick up a down throw from bed,bah,and beyond to add a layer between the hammock and the bag.

The orange hammer is a poly carbonate I picked up at ollies surplus for$1.79. it drove the 12" poly stakes in the frozen ground. Very light.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
Boy I hope it makes it XJ!  It looks darn good from the pic.  If it holds up I'd say you have it figured out.  Post up the military bag underquilt too.  I've not yet broken down for an underquilt as the temps are usually mild even in the winter here in OK.  But it lingers in my head as something to have so any project would be neat to learn from.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
I sewed together a poncho liner to slide over my rig. I've only used it once and the low was @ 20. I put a long zipper in it and it worked like a champ. Your tarp looks great.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:06 AM »
Your second looks Great! This is on my short list to try, after  winning a new Dutch hammock my tarp is to short. I hav been studying alot of designs on hammock forums and currently watching tacblades build.

What style ridgeline seam did you use? Any pointers, that is the main issue holding me back. I plan on practing on some smaller pieces first.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »
It's a flat felled french. I think the most important thing is making sure your machine will sew grosgrain, reinforcing patch and your webbing loop. I had a lot of trouble getting my machine to sew through that thickness It turned out I had the wrong needle.

The easiest way to know you have the correct size needle to match your thread is to to thread a needle on a short piece of thread and see if it will slide up and down easy. Just hold the ends of the thread and lift one end then the other, The needle should slip up and down easily.

You have to pay close attention to the fabric sides. it's easy to confuse the top and bottom when working with that much fabric. I sewn a line loc 3 on upside down. Still works though.

I followed this tutorial...

http://community.makeyourgear.com/2016/05/10/diy-winter-tarp-tutorial/