Author Topic: Yeti VS Ozark Trail  (Read 3759 times)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Yeti VS Ozark Trail
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »
Here's my review of my Yeti Tumbler vs my Ozark Trail Tumbler.  Both are 30 ounces.

Empty weight - Yeti.....13.75 oz     Ozark Trail.....14.20 oz
w/ice weight - Yeti.....1lb 12.95 oz     Ozark Trail.....1lb 13.20 oz
w/water - Yeti......2 lb 9.95 oz     Ozark Trail.....2lb 9.50 oz
lids - Yeti.....2.15 oz     Ozark Trail.....2 oz

I wanted to see how they compared with ice and liquid.  I put them outside, in the shade when the temperature was 91 degrees.

After about 14 hours there was still ice.  The area on the outside of the tumbers  aboe the line of liquid had condensation on them, but that was a small band.  The rest of the the surface area of both tumblers were dry.

At the 19 hour mark there was still a small amount of ice  in each of the tumblers.

When I got home from work (23 hour mark) there was no ice in either tumbler, but the water in both of them were ice cold.

I would call this test a tie.

Yeti Tumbler - about $40
Ozark Trail Tumbler - about $10

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Yeti VS Ozark Trail
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »
That's a pretty lopsided price differential for VERY similar performances and apparent quality.  What do you attribute the $30 price premium to......name? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »
I will have to look for an Ozark Trail tumbler/coffee mug somewhere.  The name must be the reason for the price.  Their coolers are tough but you could hire someone to deliver ice to you for what they cost.  The Sturgis rally is in full swing at the moment and I got behind a trike of some kind the other day.  It had a soft side Yeti on the back.  I did not know they made a soft side cooler so I looked them up....... $350 for a soft side.  Seems like their tumbler....... a bit stiff.

Thanks for the review on the Ozark Crash, I need a good cold drink tumbler and your review says to get that one. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
Probably.  Yeti was one of the early high end coolers and cups/tumblers.  Since then (maybe the patent expired?) other brands have come out that appear almost identical and perform as well.  RTIC is one that comes to mind.  Ozark Trail (carried by Walmart) only has the 30 oz tumbers and 20 oz cups that I've seen.  I suspect that all of the above mentioned brands are manufactured in the same plant.

My guess is that Yeti will eventually have to come down in price to remain competitive since they are no longer the only game in town.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:16:48 PM »
Thanks for your review, CD.  I've seen several reviews on YT comparing them and the Ozark Trail does as well or better than the Yeti.  I went to Wally World last week to get a couple of the Ozarks.  None in stock.  Supposedly I'll get an email when they're back in stock.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:41:51 PM »
I have been looking for the OT cup but they have been sold out every time I go to Walmart. If I hadn't bought the Yeti and gifted an Engel I would be all over the OT cup.

Engel makes a cup also that is in the 30 ounce range. What I like about the engel is the lid that screws on and has a small flip lid that closes the drink opening to keep the cup spill-proof.

This cup was a gift for Christmas so I don't know the price and never cared to look.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »
Thanks for the test crash!  I also noticed Ozark Trail sells a Yeti "Styled" cooler now too.  It's about half the price of a Yeti but I've wondered how comparable it is as well.  Interesting results though. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Online Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »
Good stuff, Crash!

The cooler test would definitely be interesting, OE.

I just got an OT tumbler in the 24 oz. size. Checked Walmart a couple times and they said they can't keep them in stock. I ordered a couple online and the next time I went to Walmart, they had a boatload on the shelves. Guess if you want one in the store, you have to time it just right.

I'm in and out of the car all day at work ... A/C on some, car parked and A/C off some. We've had 90+ degree days all week (even hotter in the parked car) but the cup keeps ice all day long. Very impressive for 10 bucks!
Any man's life, told truly, is a novel.  -Ernest Hemingway

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »
This is good news.....I'm gettin' pretty tired of drinkin' hot water when I get back in the truck. :(

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »
Good review, Crash.  I expect MalWart will start jacking up the prices on OT products rather than drop the Yeti product prices.  I think I will try to find one and glue sticks, dirt and rocks all over it so I can use it at WOB.  The big problem will be explaining where I got Ice in Texas in 1834.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 09:49:51 PM »
I've got a pair of the OT tumblers - they work well.
Sams club sells a similar item - only they come in pairs for $20 -- so same price each, but a lid you can actually close.
I wish I had found those first.
you might try going to the wally website and order them with free shipping to your local store.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 03:55:36 AM »
We've got quite a few Walmart Super Centers in the area.  I've noticed that most of them have the tumblers in stock now.  A month ago not so much.  One clerk said that a guy came in and bought 120 of the tumblers.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
I wanna baby Yeti.  You know.  Short, cute, big feet.  I'll sell it to a zoo eventually. 

...offended?  oopsy.

I'm terrible.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »
I saw a stack of them at the local MalWart today for $9.99.  And at 2:00PM they still had some .22 ammo on the shelf.  At the prices they had on them, I expect them to stay on the shelf.  100 rds MiniMags for $14.00.  Nope.
-John Denver

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 12:02:45 AM »
I bought some of the OT tumblers. I am very satisfied with them.

The Ozark Trail ones have a lifetime warranty versus only 5 yrs on the Yeti...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 05:56:39 PM »
Well I went to Walmart today looking for those Ozark Trail tumblers.  They had a few.  The lid kind of puzzled me as it is clear and isn't airtight.  It has a sipping slot in it that cannot be closed. 

How does this work?  It cannot hold cold or heat in can it?  I asked the clerk in the department and he was clueless as well.  He did say that this tumbler is the one that was tested against the Yeti. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
It works because most of the heat loss in a drink cup would be via convection. The small hole limits convection from the surface of the drink to the surrounding air. The remainder of the liquid is in contact with the vacuum insulated cup. There is a little conduction loss through the steel up to the rim of the cup to the outside, but not much.

They work very well for keeping drinks cold. The can cozies don't work quite as well because the aluminum cans are good heat conductors and there is enough exposed can above the top to make them less efficient, but they still seem to outperform foam can cozies significantly.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
Well, that sucks! >:(     My present drink container spends half its life on its side in the truck cab, so this thing ain't gonna work for me.   Guess it's going to be warm water for me for the foreseeable future.....at least it doesn't leak. :-\

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 06:17:41 PM »
Well, that sucks! >:(     My present drink container spends half its life on its side in the truck cab, so this thing ain't gonna work for me.   Guess it's going to be warm water for me for the foreseeable future.....at least it doesn't leak. :-\

I did see on Ebay that they have "after market lids" for the tumblers that do close but are not a perfect seal.  They cost about $5.00.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
It works because most of the heat loss in a drink cup would be via convection. The small hole limits convection from the surface of the drink to the surrounding air. The remainder of the liquid is in contact with the vacuum insulated cup. There is a little conduction loss through the steel up to the rim of the cup to the outside, but not much. They work very well for keeping drinks cold. 

Thanks PW, I thought for a time I might have bought the wrong one.  I did get the 20 oz. size as that 30 oz. one would not fit in any cup holders in my vehicles.  We will see how they perform.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:44:29 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 06:36:02 PM »
Warm water is supposed to be better on your system than ice water anyway, Wolfy.  I may get one just to keep coffee HOT.
-John Denver

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »
I use the 20 oz cups for my coffee (unless on a longer trip).  I know that "room temperature" water is better for you, but when working outside all day with heat indexes around 110, the cold water is a welcome treat.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 07:42:13 PM »

Just get a steel vacuum bottle like you would use for coffee. Lid seals up and you can lay it down on the seat. Those will keep ice just as long.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »

Just get a steel vacuum bottle like you would use for coffee. Lid seals up and you can lay it down on the seat. Those will keep ice just as long.

Yep.  I've got one of these, and while I've never done any testing with it, it works very well.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 08:18:41 PM »
  Bought 2 of the OT 30 oz ones today on your recommendation Crashdive123. Only about 10-11 bucks a piece, with tax.... I thought it was a great deal considering the price of the Yetis...  Thanks for the review/testing & advice!
:)

The missus thinks I am nuts for buying a couple containers that don't close all the way..
:shrug:

She says, " Lets see how that works when it is 30F below outside"... & chuckled...

I will let ya know... I am in for a bit of crap if they don't stay hot...then... Don't cha know...
;)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 08:35:01 PM »
The twenty ounce OT tumblers actually are pretty darn good.  I loaded one 3/4 full of ice cubes and added water.  Ten hours later there was a little ice left.  It sat in the kitchen on the table and the temperature was in the mid 70's. 

I also tried coffee in it.  It take awhile for the coffee to cool off enough to drink. 

They are well insulated.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 07:02:43 AM »

I don't have a dog in this hunt either way, I've always used Stanley brand or Nissan bottles, and for hot mugs usually what ever was on the shelf that was made of Stainless,  coffee and plastic are incompatible in my opinion.
  Maybe I don't travel in the right circles but I had never heard of Yeti products before this thread,  it's not like I haven't shopped for coolers in the past, I probably have six or eight marine coolers in my basement and a smaller one in both of our vehicles.
  Anyhow,  I was at Cabela's yesterday,  they have a whole section of the camping dept. set aside for Yeti stuff,  it's certainly well made,  but I was floored by the prices they are asking for that stuff,  my most expensive marine cooler is an Igloo brand and huge, I've had it for about ten years and it's been no less than fantastic and pretty much damage proof under normal conditions,  I think I paid just under $40.00 buck for it.
 While I'm sure technology in cooler containers is probably allot better today, and the prices have gone up a bit since I bought my last cooler or hot coffee travel mug,  but Jeez Louise,  they were asking in the $200.00 range for a med sized Yeti,  one of the bigger ones had a price tag of $348.00 bucks   ???,  maybe if I had Bill Gates money.
 Whatever,  I'm heading out to WallyWorld sometime today to pick up some printer ink,  I will find myself in the sporting goods dept before I leave the store,  I'll check out some of the Ozark Trail coolers and stuff wile I'm there.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »
Mo, Yeti makes a very nice product but they are Way overpriced IMHO. I got an RTIC 45 a while back and love it, half the price of Yeti and keeps ice a bit better.

I just got the RTIC 64 oz bottle and pretty happy with it so far.
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
I bought a 30 ounce tumbler yesterday for the wife, she likes to put a lot of ice on her drinks, she is really pleased with it and it fits on the vehicles and golf cart we use here at the campground as well as the boat but never had trouble putting a tumbler or a water bottle in the boat cup holders they are make to take most size cups.   I have a 16 ounce Bubba cup for about 4 years now, and it does keep hot drinks hot for a very long time and the lid opening had a tab for sealing and keeping your drink in the cup, I also bought this at Walmart and they do carry containers from 12 ounces to Godzilla size mugs, all vacuum and hot or cold.   
Crash, thanks for the review.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline Joedirt199

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »
People are buying the ozarks by the flat around here. Soon as they go on the shelf, they get bought by the 10 pack. I have since got a handle off amazon that makes it easier to carry when you have a handful of stuff. Plastic handle that slips up from the bottom and still fits my over sized cup holder of my truck. Can't see what would go wrong on these cups unless you dropped it so hard it punctured and lost vaccuum or got ran over

Online Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »
At a gun show this weekend, some guy was selling ... or trying to sell ... the $10 OT tumblers for $20. Come on, dude!

A few tables down the row, my friend was selling Yeti gear telling people and telling people they are not just buying a cup or a cooler ... "With Yeti, you're buying a lifestyle". LOL! Well played, sir!
Any man's life, told truly, is a novel.  -Ernest Hemingway

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 06:21:01 PM »
That's a good one, Sarge. Yeti lifestylers.

I did pick up a 20oz for myself.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 10:44:19 AM »
From today's Sioux City Journal business section.  :coffee:

Here's a local and new (to me) manufacturer of these thermal cups and coolers that do custom logos on their products.   From the reviews they sound like they work just as well as the Yeti and Ozark trail products, too.   Might be kind of neat to have our own custom B&B logo-imprinted thermal cups.  :shrug:

https://bigfrig.com

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
It would be neat.  It would cost a bunch of $ but what the heck?  They are over twice the price of the Ozark Trail cups at Walmart but we can get flats of what look to be 25 cups and have them imprinted.  Probably not price effective unless we do about 250 of them.   :-\
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »
I dont know if we can get 250 orders together...

But it would be cool.

My recommendation is to just use the B&B logo to have a reverse vinyl sticker made as a sandblasting mask, and use it to etch one of the Ozark trail cups.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
I dont know if we can get 250 orders together...

But it would be cool.

My recommendation is to just use the B&B logo to have a reverse vinyl sticker made as a sandblasting mask, and use it to etch one of the Ozark trail cups.

Neat idea PW
(Mark Twain)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
  Bought 2 of the OT 30 oz ones today on your recommendation Crashdive123. Only about 10-11 bucks a piece, with tax.... I thought it was a great deal considering the price of the Yetis...  Thanks for the review/testing & advice!
:)

The missus thinks I am nuts for buying a couple containers that don't close all the way..
:shrug:

She says, " Lets see how that works when it is 30F below outside"... & chuckled...

I will let ya know... I am in for a bit of crap if they don't stay hot...then... Don't cha know...
;)

when heading out to store or some place nearby and want to take a cup of coffee with me, I have to make sure it's cool enough to drink first. If I fill up straight out of the hot coffee pot, the stuff remains too hot to drink so long I'll be at my destination.

The winter thread made me wonder how you fared up north?