Author Topic: Horse treadmill and other photos from the 2016 Goschenhoppen Folk Festival  (Read 1568 times)

Offline asemery

• Whetstone +
  • I enoy knot tying, especially net making
Horse powered (treadmill) grain thresher

Fence hole post drill

Foot powered lathe

Pit saw set-up

Wooden geared rope maker
Standing end

Travelling end - demonstrator stands on plank and turns handle- whole apparatus travels forward as twist in rope develops

Cobblestone maker

Knife and other blade sharpener - note water dripping on stone

Several years ago at the festival a fellow craftsman asked me to make a small fish trap to catch sunfish and other small fish in his farm pond.  He never picked up the trap so I kept the trap for display.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Absolutely terrific. Thank you for posting.

Oh, hey, do you make ropes?

Offline asemery

• Whetstone +
Absolutely terrific. Thank you for posting.

Oh, hey, do you make ropes?

Yes I do.  I make rope using the method described in this tutorial
hand drill rope making

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Good stuff!  Thanks!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Thank you for taking and showing the pictures from the festival again this year.   I really enjoy seeing the different crafts people and how things used to be done.  If someone didn't take the time and show the effort to continue with them, they would soon be lost.   

I have never seen cobblestones being made anywhere before, but I have had the misfortune of working in a pit sawing demonstration! :lol:     Talk about a hard way to make a living! :-\

Very cool little hoop net......first time I've ever seen one that small.  Nice work, as always! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Thanks for taking the time to photograph the fair.  Lots of interesting stuff.  Your work is, as usual, just superb.  Neat machine for making rope, cobblestones were interesting.  I would like to attend that fair sometime.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Good stuff as usual Asemery.  I participate in several craft fairs throughout the year but never get time to go visit the other craftsmen.  Gonna have to hire me an intern to keep the forge hot while I am dawdling around.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline asemery

• Whetstone +
Good stuff as usual Asemery.  I participate in several craft fairs throughout the year but never get time to go visit the other craftsmen.  Gonna have to hire me an intern to keep the forge hot while I am dawdling around.
The festival has a wonderful apprenticeship program whereby students from local schools get hands on training in all the crafts that are presented at the festival.  This is the seventh year for my apprentice.  He did a good job on demonstrating the craft by himself on the Friday of the festival when I was unable to attend.  It also enabled me to take pictures of a few of the more un usual crafts.  I left several out including
Cigar maker
Wheelwright
Cooper
Straw hat maker
Tinsmith
Hog butcher

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
We'd love to see them all if you would like to post them. :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Excellent pictures. I'm a little curious about the lathe. At our state fair they had one and the spring boards were a sort of cantilever design under the lathe near the foot board.

This one looks to be above. did it incorporate any steel in the spring action or all woods?

Did the wheelwright build the hubs or just spoke them sort of premade hub/rim?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline asemery

• Whetstone +
We'd love to see them all if you would like to post them.
I should have said that I  did not take any picures of those crafts.  Maybe next year

Excellent pictures. I'm a little curious about the lathe. At our state fair they had one and the spring boards were a sort of cantilever design under the lathe near the foot board.

This one looks to be above. did it incorporate any steel in the spring action or all woods?

Did the wheelwright build the hubs or just spoke them sort of premade hub/rim?

I do no know the answer to either of your questions.  The Goschenhoppen Historians might be able to connect you with the craftsmen involved.  Go to the link
Folk Festival
and click on "contact us".