Author Topic: A video  (Read 1275 times)

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
A video
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
Not sure where to put this one , not bushy , but pretty Rural/Country ish , old timey stuff from a far away land .

I think it's got some neat stuff :)

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
Re: A video
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
Wow, tough old dude
Respect
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »
Interesting saw he uses.  The skid works well too.  Thanks for posting.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 09:36:25 PM »
Good demo of the peavey and pickaroon!  Tough ol' bird!  Thanks for sharing.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
Looked like he knew what he was doin' alright.  :chopwood: :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:49:14 PM »
He was no spring chicken. I'd be doing good to just climb that hill, let alone get chased down the mountain by 1,500 pounds of house logs on a sled! :shocked:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »
After I watched it I thought to myself "Never thought I'd see that from Japan" .
I think I'm gonna look into that sled for some giggles , I've seen videos with a bigger version from in the alps or germany that were very similar .
The mittens and boots were interesting .

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »
After I watched it I thought to myself "Never thought I'd see that from Japan" .
I think I'm gonna look into that sled for some giggles , I've seen videos with a bigger version from in the alps or germany that were very similar .
The boots remind me of gaiters with snow packs. Look vaguely like WWII surplus Japanese army boots.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:31 AM »

Thanks for the video, quite a thought provoker. Somewhat reminds me of a vid I saw awhile back. It was about making kuksa, then and now. The historic scene was a wily old guy trekking through the winter  forest, pausing to knock off a burl with his axe. Instead of rice straw, his pack and shoes were woven birch back.

I like the asymmetric sled, and the natural form of the "handle" piece. His waraji with extra thick cold proof soles, and the shoulder pads for pack straps(sure have thought of inventing those a few times). Fun to watch.

But why would it not be in Japan? Thanks again!

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 04:24:41 PM »
"But why not be in Japan?"

Snow , growing up all I knew was that Japan being in the Pacific was like Hawaii , sunny and hot .
I know that was not correct but as a school kid I didn't know they had mountains and snow .

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »

Snow , growing up all I knew was that Japan being in the Pacific was like Hawaii , sunny and hot .
I know that was not correct but as a school kid I didn't know they had mountains and snow .

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »
<double post>

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »

I see what you mean. It was a little surprising to me to learn there is still hunting there.