Author Topic: An honor of significance, who, ME!?!  (Read 670 times)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
An honor of significance, who, ME!?!
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
http://www.easternprimitiverendezvous.com
http://www.hillcreekfiberstudio.com/index.html

A Rendezvous friend, Carol Leigh, of Hillcreek Fiber Studio, just released her newest book, this one is on natural dyes. She has told me really interesting stories of her experience as she traveled the world learning the techniques and materials of indigenous natural dyes and the people who use them.

She called me a few months back about the book and offered me an upgrade from the paperback to hardcover at no uncharge.  I?m not sure how we got around to this part of the conversation, but it wound up with her inviting me to attend the Eastern Rendezvous in Slippery Rock PA. Debbie decided she wanted to go too, we will be working with her for the 10 days of the Rendezvous. See offered all the supplies, tent, fire irons etc. all we had to do is show up with our bedding and attire. I mentioned Debbie will be attending, so even though we cut down on our regular rig tremendously I?ll still have a loaded truck of canvas, wood and accouterments. Women like to have their stuff. I?ve got a lot of stuff to pack.

For me this is an extreme honor, to be invited to demonstrate, teach, learn and work with Carol at this event is equivalent to Robert Benedetto asking me to attend NAMM with him. Although Fiber Arts is not as popular, their is no doubt that she is at the top of this small but extremely skilled group of fiber artists.

Carol has been an inspiration to me and a mentor for over 20 years, though we have only gotten together once a year at the Alafia River Rendezvous.

Weaving a Voyagers Sash two years ago at Carol's Tent.

Come camp with the Florida Kracaneuners, where even our dirt has teeth."Pedicabo Ego Eam"

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: An honor of significance, who, ME!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »
 :thumbsup:  Now you are a celebrity in another arena. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »
It's always a thrill for me when 'one of our own' gets some recognition for their efforts in preserving our history through reenactments and living history events.  CONGRATULATIONS HUSHNEL! :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
Way cool!  8)  Congrats!

Looking forward to pics and reports from the rendezvous.
Any man's life, told truly, is a novel.  -Ernest Hemingway

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:19:17 AM »
Thanks, generally maybe even exclusively she works with family and occasionally a close friend. This last January her husband was attending, we had a tornado jump over the camp, a quarter mile away a guy was killed by it. 60-80 mile an hour winds rolled through the camp, nearly 70 camps were flattened. Somewhere around 5:00am the winds died down and I got up to check the damage. My fly came down, one of the anchor loops tore loose. I stretched out the tarp to see about any rips and it was fine. I grabbed my hat and rolled up my sleeves and spent the next 8 hours helping straighten up others camps. Everything was near normal by 2:00 pm or so. Carol and Dennis' camp was one I helped with. retiring lines, finding flung about tent steaks, their inventory was fine and the loom tent was already bustling with people weaving.

The taylor and his family were busy sewing up others canvas, repairing anchor loops and other parts, free of charge, I needed just a small piece to replace the loop on the fly, he gave it me I offered him money he said no. I smilled and grabbed one of the empty tankard and shoved a few buck into it. others followed suit.

It's really a lot more than a bunch of strangely dressed people pretending they are mountain men and women. Whether you get it or not it's difficult to explain. You surely become aware that we are here today only because of the efforts of our ancestors to survive, and conversely these people were not primitive rather more adept in their environment than any of us are today. I feel the ghosts of these ancestors every time I grab a tool, every time I step into the wilderness, make a fire or light a lamp, every time I start a new project. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Come camp with the Florida Kracaneuners, where even our dirt has teeth."Pedicabo Ego Eam"

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 11:26:37 AM »
Very cool for both of you. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »
We arrived home just in time for H.Mathew. The last few days of the Rendezvous it rained, Deb and I managed to get the tent dry before the rain and winds started. We did a lot of work with Carol Leigh. I spun about half a pound of American Bison Down, for a guy that is planing to make a rope out of it.

I spent a couple of days spinning the Buffalo down, I assisted in teaching weaving with a couple of younger ones. Generally doing what was asked of me. Setting up her tents and store was back breaking. Carol has been doing this since the 80's as well as teaching at her shop back home. It's a family business.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 06:19:32 PM »
Glad you had a good time buddy. Welcome home.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar