Author Topic: Making Fire With Stainless Steel? (video)  (Read 905 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Making Fire With Stainless Steel? (video)
« on: September 16, 2016, 06:38:01 AM »
  Ran across this & brought it here to share. Some of you folks will enjoy it, I think.
;)

I enjoy this guys channel on occasion. You may want to check out some of his other videos.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
Re: Making Fire With Stainless Steel? (video)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
Very cool, subscribed to his channel. Thank you
Nice matters

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 05:41:57 AM »
  You are welcome! He has a lot of good videos to watch when ya have the time. It is interesting to see what the guys in Russia use & do when out in the sticks. I enjoy seeing stuff like that too! :)

I am surprised though that there was not more interest in this topic, since most folks are thinking that stainless will not spark. I have/did for years, and never tried to find out for myself. It seems that someone finally took the time to find out. I did check on using wet charcloth & demonstrated it can still take a spark, so I think it is good that someone else decided to try sparking a stainless steel. Little bit of myth busting & you can see it happen in front of your own eyes. Sparks were flying off that SS. Not as much as plain Carbon steel, but it worked for him.
:)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
I didn't have time to watch when you first posted, but I did this morning.  I have actually experimented with sparking several different stainless steel sources.  Some worked 'pretty well' like the back of the saw in the video, but some of the others I tried produced absolutely zero sparks.  I don't know if that had to do with the composition of the steel or the shape of the item I was using, but it did show that there is SOME difference.  Maybe it's carbon content, chromium content or simply 'round and smooth' versus 'sharp edged and square'.....I don't know, BUT I proved to myself that there is a difference.  :shrug:      I think Tom Hanks found out that a figure skate makes for a passable dental tool, but a pisspoor fire-steel!  :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
Good video. I like that guy.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »
This is very interesting! 

There is so much "common knowledge" from dubious sources out on the interweb that it makes my head spin.  This is especially true for wild edibles.

I always enjoy hearing from someone who experiments for himself with the materials and can report from first-hand experience.  In this case, the results are very surprising!

Thanks, MnSportsman!

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the video JB. I think I'll watch some more of his work later on. I like knowing what the Russians are up too.

I'm almost positive I have a Silky saw that rusted. It's not the same model and maybe 10-12 years old so things could have changed. There is one slight possibility the one is not Silky, I'll have to check on it.

It made me curious so I looked up the material Silky uses for that saw, SK-4. If I read the chart right the CR content was listed as .3%. That sounds so low, compared to the usual range for stainless knife steel, it is called stainless though.

Not to say that's the only thing that makes some less sparky than others. I think you'd need a known that didn't spark to compare with the sk4. I looked at 440c which has a very high C content, with CR around 14%.
Maybe that helps, maybe not. Best wishes.

Offline mahaney

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »
Pretty cool. I was always told that stainless couldn't make sparks either. But I can't make sparks with carbon steel and flint either... Thank you.

J