Author Topic: Types of rope  (Read 384 times)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
Types of rope
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
How do you tell the difference between Manila rope and its inferior cousin sisal rope. I recently purchased some "manila" rope, label as much, from ace hardware. I know sometimes nefarious rope purveyors will sell sisal labeled as manila rope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nice matters

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Re: Types of rope
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:04 PM »
Manila rope sadly is being used as a generic name...although true Manila is made from abaca leaves.
There are a lot of natural fibers being used.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_rope
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
Hunter63 thanks for the link. Better quality lines are not made of a mixture different fibers. My reason for wanting to be sure what I am getting is manila IMO is the superior fiber, and sisal is often passed off as manila. It is really hard to make cotton look like manila, so I know for sure it is not cotton.
Nice matters

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 05:28:09 PM »
I used to buy sisal or as we called it "Java"....as a center for elevator wire ropes.......Yup real rope in there.
All it does is hold up the outer strands that do the work....elevator rope has 8 strands.....

Should have "borrowed" more when the plant closed....I have been giving away 1/4" sisal for tent ropes for years....
Took a 3500ft spool to Rondy's and gave it away to anyone that needed it.

I would buy it by the truck load 40K pound at a time , all different sizes.....
Oh well, look for the actual contents on the Manila when looking.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much