Author Topic: Geezers in Montana  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Geezers in Montana
« on: November 06, 2016, 08:35:34 AM »
On-going work for our winter wood supply.  We heat almost exclusively with wood 5 months out of the year.
I'm always a bit concerned that age is going to rear its ugly head, and limit my ability to keep up with the task. So I was pretty satisfied with myself this year, as the project proceeded.  These pix only show one day's effort. The kindling shown will last about a week, and the pile of cord wood is the 2nd load, prepped for storage on the front porch...a little over a week's worth, depending upon the weather.

Morning's work:

Afternoon's work (2nd load):

So...feeling pretty satisfied that I was up to the task at the end of my 71st summer, I stopped patting myself on the back and remembered that my friend who bucks this stuff out of the woods by himself, pops the rounds and delivers it to my yard...is 73!    :choptree: :chopwood: :doh: :hail:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Re: Geezers in Montana
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 06:35:35 PM »
Good on you......Doc says ..."Not yet"....? at 68...
Did say to get exercise...

Last load was pick up of elm and oak for a $100 buck delivered cut, spilt and stacked.

Second to the last load...that I didn't tell anyone about...
Dead elm across a trail...

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »
I want that loader!  :drool: I'm using two broke down 6 cu ft wheelbarrows!  :rolleyes:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:19:46 PM »
That looks like fun work coming from an axe lover with gas heat.  Course I'm in Oklahoma too.  We're still in the 80's....ugh. 

Good on you for staying after it though.  Puttin those choppers to work is always good to see!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »
My fire place is gas too.   :fire2:  Keep up the good work

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »
I will as long as I'm able.
My BFF is my Kelly DB. I ran into a couple of stubborn pieces, and got out the 6 lb splitting maul. THAT was  a joke!  That thing wore me out in about a half dozen swings.  The DB is about 2.5#, and goes exactly where I tell it to, every time.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »

Good on you OP,  keep pushing yourself as long as you can,  it'll keep you younger than you think you are.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:cheers:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 07:19:09 PM »
i too heat with wood 1/2 the year but i saw the future and bought a 22ton log splitter
i also use a farmall 300 with a loader. it makes things go better for me.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »
I use a maul, sledgehammer, and a wedge to split, but we will only burn a cord or so per winter. Splitting pinon can be tough, not too many straight pieces. :shrug:
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 06:15:19 PM »
I've never burned pinon before, but I heard or read somewhere that it burns well, however, it snaps and pops and sends up sparks in a campfire.....True or BS?  :P :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »
It is true.  It does do a bit of popping and shooting hot embers at you.  Depends on the amount of pitch in it.  I had a bunch of it in the form of posts in an old sheep corral and in a moment of dumbness burned it up in a big pile.  It was full of spikes and I didn't want to cut it up with my new chainsaw.  It is as hard or harder than many hardwoods.

The heat value on average is 33.5 million BTU's per cord.  As a comparison white oak is 25.7
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 08:10:45 PM »
WOW!  :shocked:  33.5 million?  Pretty impressive.....must be like pure fatwood. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 08:21:59 PM »
I've never burned pinon before, but I heard or read somewhere that it burns well, however, it snaps and pops and sends up sparks in a campfire.....True or BS?  :P :shrug:

Very true, it does pop and will send sparks flying. When it is windy and when conditions are dry you have to question whether it is worth the risk. My boss's place outside of pie town if it is windy in the winter we usually hit the trailers at sundown, it gets cold fast. Pinon burns hot, it has a lot of pitch. The old timers used to burn pinon with wet aspen, have been told the aspen helps to keep the flues and chimneys clean, so I have been told
Nice matters

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
pinyon pine dont forget the nuts taste great and spendy as heck,
in korea they use a lot of then. out west the wild turkey feed off them
as part of thier diet.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »
pinyon pine dont forget the nuts taste great and spendy as heck,
in korea they use a lot of then. out west the wild turkey feed off them
as part of thier diet.

Bonus harvest this year, I have a dozen plus pounds of pinon nuts, BTW the spelling of pinyon is a modern one, us native new Mexicans spell it pinon, only in recent years have I come across the spelling "pinyon". I am sure some academic devised the " y" instead of using the accent mark over the n. Just saying
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 10:06:06 PM »
I didn't know that Orbean.  I always spelled in pinon with the accent above the n.  I wonder when it started with pinyon?  It is in the dictionary as a variant of the original spelling.  Seems kind of strange to spell it that way when the original word is still in use.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 10:36:39 PM »
I've never seen pinyon, though that is I guess a more phonetic spelling.

My guess it is a request from sellers trying to market chimineas far from their native home. In Ok we can buy chimneys and bags of pi?on pine- does it smell good? Before all this we knocked holes in the ceiling and burned logs on concrete slabs in the living room. Now we are expected to sit outside around a terra cotta phallus....whatever .