Author Topic: SEWING MACHINES  (Read 1446 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: SEWING MACHINES
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »
I've been looking for a model 66. I want it for a restoration project. They are great machines. If I couldn't sew I'd have no clothes that truly fit.

Creek

Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
I can only guess how many of those went into the dumps during the fifties and sixties.  My grandmothers got thrown out in 1955.  What a shame.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 05:41:00 AM »
country estate sales and antique stores can be a great place to find
old sewing machines make sure they have the leather belt to powaer the treddle.
thouh if not . thier not hard  to make.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »
I have a bunch of them, I've been collecting them for a little over a year now.

Here are a few I have, not a complete list. These are easy to find and all are great machines, most of them are easy to find parts for and the Bobbins and needles are available.
   Singer 15-91                                             
   Singer 99K-13         
   2 Singer(185)       
   2 Singer (201)          
   Singer 221                         
   Singer 285                      
   2 Singer(301)                      
   2 Singer(401)          
        Singer  66-16
        192 Spartan
        503 Rocketeer
        Singer 27 1910  Sphinx 
        Pfaff 30   

Come camp with the Florida Kracaneuners, where even our dirt has teeth."Pedicabo Ego Eam"

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »
Sewing machines revisited;

A friend of mine, from time to time, is bringing me machines, older vintage singers. I pulled one out I hadn't looked at since she brought it to me about 3 months ago. It didn't have a motor, or wires and no lamp. The mounting bolt was on the machine. I wouldn't say it was abused, no rust or buildup of crud. It's smooth running and has been consistently maintained. I took a modern, made in China, hand crank off a post WII Japanese copy of the Singer 15 and put it on the machine to see how it runs. 

It's a 128, which is a 3/4 size vibrating shuttle machine, it was built in 1919. The modern hook and loop is a rotary design, honestly I can't see it's advantage. It may have something to do with various stitching patterns or the reverse stitch function, I don't know but I really like the vibrating shuttle on these old singers.

There is not a machine ever made that makes a better looking straight stitch.

Come camp with the Florida Kracaneuners, where even our dirt has teeth."Pedicabo Ego Eam"

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
Love those older machines.  There is a reason they still work with a little TLC.

Online randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
I have a 66 that is almost ready to use. I've been having a tough time finding the proper size bobbin winding tire. I've ordered every size available. Still not sure f it is the right one.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:48:25 AM »
If it works, it's the right size, I've seen some that are a bit thicker than others. It's usually the only part that needs replaced on the old machines. Often they get put away with the bobbin winder in the wind position and the results are a flat spot, and the tires are rendered  useless.

I keep a few in stock, I had to replace the tire on this 128. It's a whole different assembly than the 66, it's a long bobbin, and it fits into a bobbin case that is a shuttle, similar to a loom, but the tires are the same.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/pd60-15287-A.php?gclid=Cj0KEQjwzpfHBRC1iIaL78Ol-eIBEiQAdZPVKkZbZhLfxuPPPBlrNJ_DxbkiUDxvDpufVWcLnc71ONEaAhC38P8HAQ

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
I sure wish I knew those machines as good as you did hush. I sew most on a 50 something. It works great. MY fancy newish pfaff is the un cool one. Sews good and does lots of tricks.. but has no soul.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
on my 66 the bobbin continues to wind even when not engaged.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 07:45:58 AM »
You may need one of the thinner tires, There are also a couple of screws that mount the bobbin winder to the drive belt shroud and may give you a little more room. I just checked a 66 and it looks like the screw mount most center to the machine is more of a slot that allows for a bit of wiggle room.

I just made a deal with a woman near Jacksonville, she has a Singer Model 15 in great shape mounted in a treadle cabinet, this machine was manufactured in 1946, she is the second owner. She got the machine from a friend and neighbor but she used it as a decorative piece. Her friend has had it in her family since it was new. Even the leather drive belt looks new, not a spec of rust on the treadle assembly. I'm picking it up this weekend. $95.00.

It freaks me out a bit, Her Grandmother probably paid for that machine in installments over a period of years and I can pick it up of less than a single days wage.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »
I have the receipt for the cabinet that my old Atlas sits in. My uncle paid $248 for it I think. That was a pile of money in the very early 50's

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »
Got it home, serviced it, took some of the slop out of the leather drive belt, it's a bit dry, it cracked a bit when I punched a hole in it for the staple. I ordered a new one.

The machine is perfect and it's just slightly better than I thought it would be, very close, I drove to St. Augustine to pick it up. It turns out the guy she got it from is a partner of one of my neighbors. They started a company called Salt Life about 20 or so years ago.

The machine head

The cabinet/treadle

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
HOLY COW.....that thing looks brand spankin' NEW!  :shocked:     The paint on the treadle doesn't look like it's even begun to wear off yet. :thumbsup:

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »
I Know, it's strange how things work out. I've been looking for one for awhile, about 6 months ago a friends daughter mentioned she had one in the loft of her mother's man friend's loft. He told me that day that she will never use it or pick it up. I told him let's give her a chance, if she wants it she should have it.

So about a week ago I asked him about it and he told me she had taken it. So I started looking again.

I was a huge local Antique Mall last week and came across the rusted iron but complete treadle of a singer machine, no wood but it moved freely enough. They had it priced at $95. I though about offering $50 but didn't, I figured it'd be there for awhile. I started looking on ebay and craigs list and noticed that the prices on the treadles were on the rise and re-considered the one at the antique mall, then came upon this one in St. Augustine for $95. Like I said, funny how this stuff happens.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 07:37:14 AM »
That is a gem.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:28 PM »
You may need one of the thinner tires, There are also a couple of screws that mount the bobbin winder to the drive belt shroud and may give you a little more room. I just checked a 66 and it looks like the screw mount most center to the machine is more of a slot that allows for a bit of wiggle room.

Thanks for the advise Hushnel, I'll give that a try. I've tried every tire I could get, even thought about freezing one and trying to turn it down on a lathe.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »
It's very strange that the tire remains in contact with the balance wheel when placed in the no-winding position. I'm wondering if the balance wheel has been changed. I have a couple 66s and didn't have any problems.

Online randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
I found the problem. The spring that puts tension on the bobbin tire arm is broken. Been searching for another but all I can find re the older styles.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
Is the broken spring part shown in this parts breakdown, I'm fairly sure the bobbin winder across the 66/99 platform are the same, I could be wrong they did change occasionally, the series 15 was in production for 100 years and that machine certainly went through changes.

Online randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 03:53:56 PM »
it's close to the one that's circled other than one side is about a inch long

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 09:29:01 PM »
Looks there may be 3 springs, I came across this set for the 66

Online randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 04:28:02 AM »
the spring on the left looks like the one I need.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 09:18:16 PM »
One of the great things about these machines is that they made so many of them that parts are easily aquired. I'll take a look around tomorrow and see if I have any.

This site shows the assembly of the springs.
http://errantpear.blogspot.com/2012/06/reassembling-singer-66-bobbin-winder.html

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
Over the last 3 or 4 days I've been spending a lot of time with primarily three machines. Two are posted above, the old Singer 15 in the treadle cabinet, the 128 with the hand crank and the Wertheim Superba B. The Superba I purchased from a woman who is a volunteer at the same State Park I've volunteered at for the last 4 years. She owns an Antique Mall on main street in Lake City. She decided to retire and let me have the machine for less than half what she was asking.

The Wertheim was made around 1870, it's a transverse shuttle, similar to the Singer Model 12, in fact it was based on the SInger 12. The cast iron bed of this machine is inlaid with mother of pearl and abalone. The needle has to be place exactly or it will not stitch, unlike the modern machine that is indexed for the needle. It took me awhile but I got it figured out three days ago.

Since the last post I've also aquired, though not delivered yet, another treadle machine with a Singer 127 Sphinx and another 27 Sphinx with the original hand crank assembly, both are vibrating shuttles. Yellowyak plans on comming up to the farm Sunday and will bring these machines with him, they were found not too far from his home.

The old Wertheim,

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »
That's a gorgeous old machine.....looks like artwork!    I never heard of that particular brand.....do you know how long they were in existence after 1870 or what years they were produced?

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
The Superba B looks like it was made from 1870-1890 the Wertheim factory made sewing machines up to the 1920-1930 or so.

A source of information, the guy is pretty good, he tells you when the information is sketchy.

http://www.sewalot.com/wertheim%20superba.htm

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:49 AM »
Since the I found the Singer 15K in the treadle base I've come across 4 more machines, only one of them is not a vibrating shuttle, it's an early Singer 66, without a reverse drive, it also came with the treadle cabinet. This machine is in really great shape, the cabinet is one of the nicest I've seen, I found it in Jacksonville via Craigs List. It was $5.00 more than the last one. I had a spare drive band and installed it the other day

The machine head;

The cabinet

A few weeks before I found this machine I scored two from the same woman, both of these machines are vibrating shuttles, the 127 came in a treadle cabinet and the older 27 came in just a portable base, without the top, and with the original hand crank. I got it for a little less than the hand crank sells for by itself, Yellow Yak picked them up for me and even delivered them, thanks brother. He was looking for a sewing machine that would stitch through 4 layers of mil spec webbing. I pulled out one of my 15-125s and without changing the needle or the thread this machine easily blasted through the webbing, it went home with him.

The 127 machine head;

It's treadle base;

The older hand crank 27;

The 15-125 Yellow Yak picked up;

This machine I found on eBay, it's a 28 hand crank in a coffin case, I paid more for it than I should have but I wanted the coffin case and the hand crank plus the other 28 I had I got rid of to a local friend and really bonded with the 3/4 sized vibrating shuttle. Unfortunately the case was damaged in shipping but it only came apart at the glue joints so the repair will be easy.

The 28;

I will continue to grab the good deals on the early Signers, at this point I'm upgrading my own collection and selling off the others. The non-electric ones are my favorite, hand cranks are really cool, I have one of the Chinese reproduction hand crank that I slightly modified to make it smoother and every bit as functional as the originals, which I have two of now.

The treadles are great cabinets too but I will need to get rid of the one, it needs the top lamination replaced and I'm still on the lookout for the right piece of Tiger stripe Maple to make it ready for it's next owner. The machine head can be replaced with any of the full sized Singers with the external motor drive.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
You are the Master of Vintage Singers.  I bought some new needles for mine and gave it a little oil... smoooorh.

I might look for a treadle one for the cabin.  My MIL has one.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Ya going to do a lot of sewing up there? What machine do you have, if you don't know send me the serial number and I'll run it for you, you may think about a hand crank, does the same thing but keeps the machine portable.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
You saw that one I have and nailed the model.  It's elec and we are off the grid up in NC.  I will only be sewing stuff for myself like 'rondy.  But I want to gradually upgrade my persona to waistcoats at night.  I liked walking around listening to the different camps.  Built 2 folding chairs and refurbing a rocking chair. 

I have a trailer now that I can pull with the Subaru.  I will do some checking around about the sewing machine I want.  Thanks
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson