Author Topic: Bark River Gunny Comparison  (Read 848 times)

Offline wolverine_173

• Mill File+
Bark River Gunny Comparison
« on: November 26, 2016, 08:33:59 AM »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Bark River Gunny Comparison
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
I am down to one remaining Bark River knife, a Fox River model.  I do not like the feel of their handles and the Fox River might be the worst one.  It feels slippery in my hand and just lacks the proper feel when you are using it.  Did the sandpaper on the one knife change how it felt in your hand much?

I have thought of bleed blasting the micarta but don't know if that would last very long.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
I am down to one remaining Bark River knife, a Fox River model.  I do not like the feel of their handles and the Fox River might be the worst one.  It feels slippery in my hand and just lacks the proper feel when you are using it.  Did the sandpaper on the one knife change how it felt in your hand much?

I have thought of bleed blasting the micarta but don't know if that would last very long.

I feel your pain Stan,  I like Bark River knives also but haven't had much luck finding them to be comfortable to the hand,  I've had several including their Bravo 1 model,  the only one I ever found to be comfortable with is the Aurora model I bought from Yellow Yak,  it also has Micarta grips but it fits my hand perfectly and doesn't feel slippery.
 I also have a Buck 119 that has those God awful black composite handles,  it is slick and worse when wet or bloody,  if it weren't a gift from one of my grandsons I'd have sold it or gave it away,  But I did take the gloss off with some 180 grit sand paper and while it doesn't look very pretty it does feel allot safer to handle.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
I think I might just sand the Fox River to roughen it up a bit.  I can "bead" blast it if that doesn't work.  Thanks Moe
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:35:09 AM »
I traded through several Bark Rivers. The only one I really liked was the Aurora. I don't have it any more either. They make a nice looking knife but they just wasn't comfortable for me to use.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »
I have and have had several Bark River knives.  Overall, I like them quite well.  Handles seem to fit me well and I like most of the steels, both carbon and stainless, they use.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:39:23 AM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 06:51:49 AM »
I tend to order Bark River knives with Bocote Wood handles.  They fit my hand, are pretty non slip, and I find Bark River's handles fairly comfortable.
The one I use the most though, is a Bravo 1 with micarta scales. 

Offline wolverine_173

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »
my favorite 4 inchish hunting knife, whats yours?

Offline wolverine_173

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »
im trying out the bushcrafter but its about the same size as the gunny