Author Topic: Winter (so far)  (Read 14548 times)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Winter (so far)
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »
I have had nicer weather in November than some of the days in late September.  No complaints so far, lots of moisture, and after the long dry summer, it was needed, the temperatures have been high enough that with all of the moisture I have lots of new grass in my pastures.  This is the first of December, and I see a change in my forecast. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Winter (so far)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »
We are very very dry in these parts.  November weather was mild to the point I was riding my motorcycle to town without my long underwear on.  It has been colder the last ten days and ======w i n d y======= as all get out.  Still has not dropped into the teens except once.  Next week is supposed to by much colder and get into the single digits. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
I am supposed to have some weather in the teens at night next week, normally the last week in November or the first week in December is the coldest, then it starts to get a bit warmer. 

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 06:59:19 PM »
Here in nm we have unusually warm weather up to a couple of weeks ago. The snow is late coming, most of the ski resorts are still closed .
Nice matters

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
I could be very wrong, but I have a hunch that we will get another 2014-2015 winter here in the Northeast...in other words, warm and soggy December and then lots of snow at once.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 09:48:04 AM »
The nice weather is over here in NE Oregon, it started snowing at around 6:30 last evening and is still at.  I have 8" and more to come, time to put the blade on the tractor. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »
We are not getting a lot of snow here.  Cold front came in last night.  6 F this morning and 10F as I write this.  Supposed to be single digit for a couple of days then warm up to the twenties for a week or so.  Windy too so what snow did show up is drifted in places. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 07:06:44 AM »
I could be very wrong, but I have a hunch that we will get another 2014-2015 winter here in the Northeast...in other words, warm and soggy December and then lots of snow at once.

In the immortal words of Archie Bunker "Oh, shut up you".

We don't need no more stinking snow.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »
We had a low of 75 yesterday in front of the cold front. This morning low was 61 you gotta hate Florida.  >:D
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »

You can always fly away, snow-bird  8)F ollow the Canadian air force, they'll lead you to a tropical oasis :)
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
We had a low of 75 yesterday in front of the cold front. This morning low was 61 you gotta hate Florida.  >:D

No seasons except hot and wet and hot and dry with an occasional hurricane.  I would move there but you got poisonous snakes that don't rattle.  I want to hear when I get bit.   ;D
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 07:37:58 AM »
I spent a lot of time in Florida when I was in the service, and before that I would visit my grand parents there, I am glad there are a lot of people who like Florida, it keeps them out of Oregon.  Perhaps I am a bit insane but I really like hiking around in the snow, there is something about taking off into a storm finding a thicket over looking one of the big canyons, backing in under a big blow down and getting a fire going, boiling up some snow water for tea, and waiting for the elk to walk by. 

I hiked down to the bottom of one of the ravines, and had a fire during a storm, boiled some water for soup, and just enjoyed the ambiance of the day,  When I climbed back out onto the ridge there was a 10 foot wide swath in the snow, where an elk herd came through I followed that path, I lead right to my upper horse pasture fence, through the fence across the pasture and out through the fence on the other side, just luck that my horsed did not follow the elk, but as soon as they saw me they all ran up to me, kind of like kids it was one of those "you know what?"

I have about 10-11" of pretty dry snow, as soon as that settles, I am going to "test drive" my new snow shoes. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »

You can always fly away, snow-bird  8)F ollow the Canadian air force, they'll lead you to a tropical oasis :)

Not me,  I might complain once in a while,  but I really like my area of New England,  springs can be wet,  summers are always bearable,  the fall is always beautiful,  and winters usually pretty mild compared to the more Northern or North Western parts of the country.
  Florida is a hurricane magnet,  most parts of the South are flood prone, the South West is too hoot and too dry for my liking,  the pacific coast likes to shake too much with it's quakes or heat up with it's wild fires,  and the middle if the country is a highway for Tornados,  all I have to face is the occasional hard winter and a hurricane once every 10 or 12 years.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Yep, South Dakota is the worst place in the world to live.  All you out of staters just spread the word that we are the chit hole of the world.  That will keep us conservative, free, and happy.

We are a minus 2 right now, not too windy, the horse tank at my neighbors place is not frozen, and the cattle are fed.  Life is good.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »
Being 'joined at the hip' with South Dakota, our weather is very similar to Stan's (not too bad) and it keeps out the riffraff.......to a certain extent.  :-\

Temps are a bit more moderate today.....13 degrees ABOVE Fahrenheit! :banana: :fire2:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
Darn right balmy here today 20+. 

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
I spent a lot of time in Florida when I was in the service, and before that I would visit my grand parents there, I am glad there are a lot of people who like Florida, it keeps them out of Oregon.  Perhaps I am a bit insane but I really like hiking around in the snow, there is something about taking off into a storm finding a thicket over looking one of the big canyons, backing in under a big blow down and getting a fire going, boiling up some snow water for tea, and waiting for the elk to walk by. 

I hiked down to the bottom of one of the ravines, and had a fire during a storm, boiled some water for soup, and just enjoyed the ambiance of the day,  When I climbed back out onto the ridge there was a 10 foot wide swath in the snow, where an elk herd came through I followed that path, I lead right to my upper horse pasture fence, through the fence across the pasture and out through the fence on the other side, just luck that my horsed did not follow the elk, but as soon as they saw me they all ran up to me, kind of like kids it was one of those "you know what?"

I have about 10-11" of pretty dry snow, as soon as that settles, I am going to "test drive" my new snow shoes.
:thumbsup: Trust me, you're not insane ;). There are those of us who appreciate having 4 full seasons, and those who prefer milder weather - but I guess we're in the minority. I think it's the added challenge of dropping temperatures and sometimes adverse weather conditions, as well as the fact that hardly anyone is out and about, which we enjoy. Every year I look forward to winter camping because of the increased solitude, and travelling across a snow-covered landscape is beautiful in itself.
Sounds like you have some fantastic country out there :). Never had enough snow last winter to use my snowshoes, but hopefully that will change this go-around.  8)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
.... Perhaps I am a bit insane but I really like hiking around in the snow, there is something about taking off into a storm finding a thicket over looking one of the big canyons, backing in under a big blow down and getting a fire going, boiling up some snow water for tea, and waiting for the elk to walk by. 

You a better man than I, ol' bean! 
We got our first 6" of snow a couple days ago, followed by cobalt blue skies and temps hovering around Zero F.  Absolutely beautiful. Nice to see, not so nice for chores.  I wish all I had to worry about was a heated stock trough. My rabbits, chickens and ducks keep me hopping when everything freezes up in less than an hour.

I guess I'm just getting soft in my old age.  15 years ago I couldn't wait for February to go hard-water fishing. Hunting with temperatures in the teens was normal. I was cutting and hauling lodgepole rails for the Amish furniture factory in 2 feet of snow and -5F temps.  Blue jeans, canvas gloves and a ski jacket served me just fine.  Nowadays, if I need to spend more than 30 minutes outside when it's near Zero, I look like that kid in A Christmas Story!   :rolleyes:

The up side is that the arthritis in my fingers doesn't hurt as much when they are too numb to feel!  :-\
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 11:05:58 AM »
So good so far, but this morn has a wee dusting of white. We are about to get real cold soon tho with a touch of the o'l polar vortex    :shocked:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
So good so far, but this morn has a wee dusting of white. We are about to get real cold soon tho with a touch of the o'l polar vortex    :shocked:
Yeah...danged Canadians!  ;D  We're below zero for 3 nights, and by the weekend we'll be in the 30's again!
John's lucky...he has the Kootenai-Cabinet, and Sawtooth Mountains to trap all that arctic air on OUR side of the mountains.  Grrrr....
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »
I wish all I had to worry about was a heated stock trough. 

I guess I'm just getting soft in my old age.  15 years ago I couldn't wait for February to go hard-water fishing. Hunting with temperatures in the teens was normal. I was cutting and hauling lodgepole rails for the Amish furniture factory in 2 feet of snow and -5F temps.  Blue jeans, canvas gloves and a ski jacket served me just fine.  Nowadays, if I need to spend more than 30 minutes outside when it's near Zero, I look like that kid in A Christmas Story!   :rolleyes:
The up side is that the arthritis in my fingers doesn't hurt as much when they are too numb to feel!  :-\

The one I watch for the neighbor (who is in Vegas at the NFR) is an artesian well.  Darn horses like to pull the hose out and let it run on the ground.  Then the tank freezes shut and you have to bust all the ice out.  No fun.

I was like you too fifteen years back, in fact we share the same birthday, month day and year, I think.  I will have to try letting my fingers freeze so the arthritis doesn't hurt so bad.  When they cramp up I probably wouldn't notice that either.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
I wish all I had to worry about was a heated stock trough. 

The one I watch for the neighbor (who is in Vegas at the NFR) is an artesian well.  Darn horses like to pull the hose out and let it run on the ground.  Then the tank freezes shut and you have to bust all the ice out.  No fun.

I was like you too fifteen years back, in fact we share the same birthday, month day and year, I think.  I will have to try letting my fingers freeze so the arthritis doesn't hurt so bad.  When they cramp up I probably wouldn't notice that either.   :P
Happy belated birthday, bro...  :cheers:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 07:31:33 AM »
Winter is more work, wood cutting and clearing snow.  I look forward to my morning "patrols", when there is new snow, all the different kind of tracks there are to see,  I think I had a bob cat in my yard yesterday, there were some pretty large tracks, too close together for dog tracks and the body drag in the snow. I had two new bob cat kittens on the cameras this summer, and two last year, so my "middle size" cat population is up. 

I am pretty fortunate that at 70+ I do not have many arthritis complaints, I do have one knee that acts up if it is one position for too long, and one of those positions is the angle my leg is at when I have my foot in a stirrup. If I revert to the old calvary practice of riding for 50 minutes and walking for ten, I can go a lot further, and I enjoy walking along talking to my horse.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »
I'm just a little over a month from turning 69, but I don't have a horse......or even a dog anymore, so when it snows, I usually just mutter quietly to myself. >:(

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 02:40:37 PM »
Pretty much sums up my feelings about winter.

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 08:47:28 PM »
I have just cleared to go back to work, out of shape, working a job outside of Gallup nm, freezing my butt off, but God help me, I love it. Winter on the continental divide is always harsh, below freezing temps, wind gust thirty mph plus. I am miserable but loving it. Winter had finally arrived. It is good to be kicking the younger guys asses. At fifty can still show the young pups what is up. Lol
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »
I'm just a little over a month from turning 69, but I don't have a horse......or even a dog anymore, so when it snows, I usually just mutter quietly to myself. >:(

I got a few cats you can have.   ???
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »

I got a few cats you can have.   ???
We don't have any, but the neighbors provide a few that we keep fed with the birds that hang around our bird feeders. >:(

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
Snow forecast for the next 5 days with this to kick it off tomorrow...lol

3:43 PM EST Saturday 10 December 2016
Special weather statement in effect for:

Burlington - Oakville
Caledon
Halton Hills - Milton
Mississauga - Brampton
A total 10 to 15 cm of snow beginning late Sunday morning or early Sunday afternoon, and ending Monday morning.

A low pressure system brewing in Colorado is expected to track towards the central Great Lakes later this weekend and impact the Golden Horseshoe Sunday and Sunday night. Current information suggests the precipitation will fall primarily as snow, but with a possibility of changing over to rain early Monday morning, particularly near the shores of Lake Ontario.

Thanks Colorado... ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 05:44:06 PM »
We only got about an inch of light, feathery snow last night, but it's colder than a witch's tit and it's going to stay that way for at least another week. :fire2:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »
What is this snow of which you speak?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »
We got a 60% chance of snow tonight.  It is going to be below 0 again.  We need some wet snow but not the powerline busters we normally get. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »
What is this snow of which you speak?

I promise pics if it actually happens...lol

We got a 60% chance of snow tonight.  It is going to be below 0 again.  We need some wet snow but not the powerline busters we normally get.

True Stan, when that happens its a whole new ballgame of problems

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »
Well, it is snowing now and the temp is 6F.  If the wind stays down it will be okay.   :-X
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2016, 07:16:37 AM »
Weather roller coaster here, 36 yesterday, the forecast is for nearly 40 today and then next week back to single digits at night, with more snow.. A foot so far in the open places, and 3-4 inches back under the trees.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
Weatherman promised us snow tonight - not much, 2 inches tops...boo-hiss :(

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »
supposed to go to 20-below tonite so i brought the dog in
as for cats we have a whole pride of genuine minnesota
golden paririe lions,

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »
Started to snow about midnight last night and the temperature was 27 degrees, got up this morning to 4-1/4 inches of snow and 34 degrees.   More snow coming, the temperature is plummeting to 25 degrees by  Tuesday morning, 13 degrees by Wednesday morning, 4 degrees by Thursday morning, heat wave Friday morning for weatherman is calling for a low of 10 degrees.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
The one good thing about extremely low temperatures is that it's less likely to snow!
                                                :fire2:

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 11:06:01 AM »
The one good thing about extremely low temperatures is that it's less likely to snow!
                                                :fire2:
You are right Wolfy, they just changed the weather report, from 4 to 5 degrees and see what happens:
Hi:20?F
Lo:5?F
Day: Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers along with locally heavier snow squalls. Snow May be heavy at Times. Colder with highs around 20. Wind chill values as low as 5 below.

Night: Mostly cloudy. Cold with lows around 5 above. Wind chill values as low as 10 below.
This is the Thursday weather report, propane fireplace is already going keeping the house warm and it looks pretty and feels cozy (my granddaughter's words).

Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
lol And right now it's 45 F outside, and if the sun keeps at it, it will hit 50 F.... :shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
Hey, Stan! What do you think about that "too cold to snow" story?
Day before yesterday it was +7F, the sun was out...and it was snowing like crazy!  Sunshine during a snow storm happens at least 3-4 times every winter here.
I've been snowed on several times at below-zero temps. Pretty much depends upon what's going on in the upper atmosphere.

I just got done moving a bunch of snow around. We have 11" on the ground. That's what's settled after getting 15+" over the past week.
Tomorrow night is a crap shoot. One forecast is for -15F, another says -9F and two others say -2F. :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 02:57:09 PM »
FROM ACCUWEATHER.COM.... . 8)

The phrase "it's too cold to snow" probably originated as a misapplication of the relationship between temperature and the maximum amount of water vapor that can be in the air. When temperature decreases, the maximum capacity of water vapor that can be in the air decreases. Therefore, the colder it gets the less water vapor there will be in the air.
Most heavy snowfalls happen with relatively warm air temperatures near the ground -- usually at 15 degrees F or above. When the temperature drops into the single digits, or below zero, heavy snow is unlikely. That's not because it's too cold, but because its too dry. When temperatures are that low, the air's capacity for water vapor becomes very small.

.......and you may want read my tag line to refresh your memory! :taunt: :rofl:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »
What Wolfy said is pretty much what I have read OP.  There are two things around here that seem to happen more often than not.  First, it doesn't seem to be as windy when the temperature drops into minus numbers, like fifteen below.  Not always, but often enough.  Secondly it seldom snows as heavy at minus fifteen as it does at a plus fifteen.  Again not always but often. 

In the old days, say 1850- to 1880 I am not sure that it was true.  I say that because many of the journals of those days talk about extreme amounts of snowfall and very low temperatures at the same time. 

As the song says........ "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow".

By the way do any of you know the record for the largest snow flakes?

1887 at Fort Keogh Montana.  15" across and 8" thick.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:16:41 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »
Yeah, of course this is not true ALL of the time because we have gotten some huge snowfall amounts during a very frigid period, BUT when we get the kind of snow depths we measure against the height of a tall Swede  8) ......it is usually due to a frigid arctic front coming out of Alaska/Canada that meets up with warmer moisture-laden low coming out of the southeast.  We have been 'just on the edge' of several of these phenomena lately, but fortunately, all of the heavy snow has dropped just to the northeast of us. :banana:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 08:47:21 AM »
It is called a blizzard, very low temps a lot of snow and wind.. 

I had a snow fall the day before yesterday, and when it quit I checked the weather forecast, no more than 1" expected for the next day, so I went out and plowed snow, when I woke up yesterday morning it was snowing, and before it quit there was another 6" so much for less than the 1" in the forecast.   

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
Just a lot of inches of snow, to me, does not a blizzard make. :shrug:   In MY mind, a true balls-to-the-wall, full-blown Nebraska 'blizzard' consists of lots of snow AND high deep-drift-forming winds howling along with it! :coffee:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »
I started off on a dairy farm in the Finger Lakes region of NY. We used to get snow, I remember the snow drifts so deep I could walk right up onto the porch roof with my snow shoes on. Nothing like the -50 white out conditions on the North Slope.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
Is there ever a time it does NOT snow up there? :doh: :shrug:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Is there ever a time it does NOT snow up there? :doh: :shrug:

I don't know if you're talking about the North Slope or the Finger Lakes region, but in either case, I think the answer is two weeks in July.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.