Author Topic: Winter (so far)  (Read 26302 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Winter (so far)
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2016, 12:42:22 PM »
Someone forgot to tell this gerbera daisy it's the end of December.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:55:02 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »
All I have is a bunch of "blooming" snow...

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
Sure.....rub it in! >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2016, 04:46:42 PM »
i've had to type this twice cause i took the three layers of skin on my thumb today
on the bench grinder. any hoo i"m just waiting for the polar bears to head south so i can snatch
one of the cubs to make a pet out of.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2016, 06:38:52 PM »
Please tell me that is a plastic flower.  Please.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
Please tell me that is a plastic flower.  Please.

Nope.  Real deal, Stan.  Sorry, I know the truth hurts.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »
They keep down grading our forecast. It was supposed to be 2"-5" of snow by Friday afternoon. Now it's down to 1" or less.
They're forecasting -9F by Tuesday night.
The NWS has missed out low temps the last few nights by over 10 degrees.  It was supposed to be +20F at 9 am this morning. It was 32F!
Hope they're wrong about next week, too.....
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2016, 02:32:29 AM »
18 inches of wet and heavy snow in the next 24 hours. Suppose to be a Nor'Easter. Which means lots of wind with it.

Giz

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2016, 07:13:29 AM »
But the days are getting longer...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »
the wind here is getting to be a PIA.  I have plowed the driveway five times.  The daylight time is getting longer though so you can see how crummy it is outside a bit more each passing day.  :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
I was just out snow shoeing, a bit windy but the sun is shinning and it is lovely.  One bad moment was when the horses came running by me, it would not be a good thing if one of them stepped on my snow shoe.   

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »
We had a little snow this morning, more coming tonight and tomorrow but nothing to worry about, only about 3 inches accumulation.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »
We had a little snow this morning, more coming tonight and tomorrow but nothing to worry about, only about 3 inches accumulation.
I'm jealous...we're getting nothing but rain here, and it SUCKS to live in an area that only 70 years ago was a marsh, with a brook that used to flow right between our house and the neighbor's. Floods here every time it rains more than 1 day due to the high water table. Stupid developers NEVER should have built here. There's a reason this town used to be called "Swampfield" back in 1685.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »
I'm jealous...we're getting nothing but rain here, and it SUCKS to live in an area that only 70 years ago was a marsh, with a brook that used to flow right between our house and the neighbor's. Floods here every time it rains more than 1 day due to the high water table. Stupid developers NEVER should have built here. There's a reason this town used to be called "Swampfield" back in 1685.
Now that's funny, right there. Sorry.
My hometown was named after John Slaughter, a lieutenant in the U.S. Army who was killed in the Indian Wars of 1855.  The town grew and eventually a nice hotel was built just up from the train station.  They had to rename the town, though, because tourists got turned off when the barker for the hotel would meet them at the train and holler, "This way to the Slaughter House!"  (True story....)

I was just out snow shoeing, a bit windy but the sun is shinning and it is lovely.  One bad moment was when the horses came running by me, it would not be a good thing if one of them stepped on my snow shoe.   

Watch yer 6's, Ol' Bean!  We don't need to read your obit about how you were trampled by your own horses on the top of some mountain somewhere!
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2016, 07:12:03 AM »
My guys are really pretty careful of me, but they could easily step on a snow shoe just crowding around to see what I was doing. 

Offline 7.62

• Mill File
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
The winter here has been up and down. The coldest morning so far was 26 below. We have some single digits and below zero stuff coming up in the next few days.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »
Its raining here now, might actually get some snow tonight. Exactly ten years ago we got two feet of snow, shut the city and the whole state down. Albuquerque is not prepared for snow removal, so it was a mess.
Nice matters

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Getting more snow here today, I am off to warm up the tractor so I can plow snow again..

The more snow I get now, the shorter my summer fire season is.. 

• Whetstone +
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »
 :banana: Looks like winter is FINALLY here. We'll be getting a few inches of snow from an off-shore system. Coastal areas will receive up to 10 inches. Temps seem to be staying below freezing more consistently. Tonight and tomorrow night are forecasted to be near 0...we'll see.
 :fire2:
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
Warming up a bit in western South Dakota after a week of subzero to low teens temperatures with just enough wind to drift snow and make it uncomfortable.  We are up to a balmy 24 F at the moment.  Pretty calm too.  Hoar frost is still on the trees and bushes.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2017, 01:12:11 PM »
:banana: Looks like winter is FINALLY here. We'll be getting a few inches of snow from an off-shore system. Coastal areas will receive up to 10 inches. Temps seem to be staying below freezing more consistently. Tonight and tomorrow night are forecasted to be near 0...we'll see.
NEB, you remind me of a picture of a new puppy that likes cavorting in a new snow, while we old dogs just look at it disdainfully....... knowing we'll just have to chew the ice-balls out from between our toes, later. :coffee:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »
NEB, you remind me of a picture of a new puppy that likes cavorting in a new snow, while we old dogs just look at it disdainfully....... knowing we'll just have to chew the ice-balls out from between our toes, later. :coffee:
Right on, Wolfy!
 :tent:

• Whetstone +
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »
ME?? :D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
-22F two nights ago. Still below zero. Monday will be near freezing, but 3"-7" of new snow....then back below zero for a few days.
I'm finding out two things about this winter:
1) We haven't had a "Montana Winter" in almost 10 years, and I'd almost forgotten what it was like, chipping firewood out of an ice drift.
2) The last time we DID have a real winter, I was 10 years younger. Ughhhh....

:chopwood: :camp: :crazy: :soap:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2017, 07:35:17 AM »
I must still be in the phase when a few ice ball between my toes are no big concern, it was 10 a couple of mornings ago, not a breath of air moving, the sun shinning, lots of snow in the trees, a great morning for a cruise in the forest on my snow shoes, just lovely.

I have an ice storm in my forecast for today that will make things a bit more difficult, but the temperature is up, and that dead larch on the edge of my back yard, will look better as a pile of fire wood.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2017, 07:45:39 AM »
I must still be in the phase when a few ice ball between my toes are no big concern, it was 10 a couple of mornings ago, not a breath of air moving, the sun shinning, lots of snow in the trees, a great morning for a cruise in the forest on my snow shoes, just lovely.

I have an ice storm in my forecast for today that will make things a bit more difficult, but the temperature is up, and that dead larch on the edge of my back yard, will look better as a pile of fire wood.
The scene you describe is serene, beautiful and one of my favorites...as long as it doesn't include frozen rabbit/chicken/duck water, raking snow off the roof to keep it from collapsing, or fussing with vehicles that go into hibernation at any temp near zero, or below.  8)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »
OP

We chose the life style we have, no one forced us to move off to the mountains at gun point.  I have had to deal with frozen stuff, and my snow is accumulating to the point that my drive way is starting to look like a tunnel.  But every day I find something that makes me glad to be here.

You can rail against the weather or you can revel in it, a personal choice.. 

• Whetstone +
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »
OP

We chose the life style we have, no one forced us to move off to the mountains at gun point.  I have had to deal with frozen stuff, and my snow is accumulating to the point that my drive way is starting to look like a tunnel.  But every day I find something that makes me glad to be here.

:thumbsup: Agreed :).
I don't think anyone likes trying to drive through ice, or defrost a frozen vehicle. But I have grown up playing outside in winter, reveling in new snow. It's also one of the best times of the year to camp, IMO. Most everyone else is inside, and you have the forest to yourself. Compensating for the colder temperatures can be challenging, but I believe that it's worthwhile. Besides, if the snow is deep enough, you can build shelters :banana:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »
NewEnglandBushcraft

Or..when the snow is deep enough you do not have to build a shelter, just step off your snow shoes.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
NewEnglandBushcraft

Or..when the snow is deep enough you do not have to build a shelter, just step off your snow shoes.

Oh yeeeeeeeah  8). I concur  :cheers:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
OP

No argument with that.
Whenever I start cussin' Mother Nature for her thermophobic predilection, I step out on my front porch and watch the deer, wild turkeys and Pileated Woodpeckers in my front yard. 
Then I think about the urban cave dwellers in their steam heated apartments living elbow to elbow with disagreeable neighbors.
Naw...not for this chil'. Now, under which drift did I park that snow blower?   ;D

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »
OP

You got it, I would rather open a vein than have to live down on the flat..

NewEnglandBushcraft

That was me this morning, I ran into a band of mule deer, "swimming" through the deep snow. Cool picture, and even cooler hat.  What is the green stuff in back of you, looks like mt. laurel. 

• Whetstone +
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
The hat is an ushanka type from LL Bean....real rabbit fur  >:D. Warmest hat I've got - it really shines when it's near or below 0, otherwise it can be too warm. Yep, 'tis Mountain Laurel....and lots of it. It seems to form dense colonies in oak-dominated woods. The turkeys LOOOVE it :D.

I love seeing foxes hunt mice or other rodents beneath the snow :).

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »
Our initial issue winter hats when I was in Alaska, were rabbit, then they went to a synthetic material, which was just as warm, and did not shed on our uniforms. 

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »
Whenever I start cussin' Mother Nature for her thermophobic predilection, I step out on my front porch and watch the deer, wild turkeys and Pileated Woodpeckers in my front yard. 
Naw...not for this chil'. Now, under which drift did I park that snow blower?   ;D

Somehow I manage to do all that without freezing my ass off 4 or 5 months of the year, worrying about whether my truck, tractor, or car will start because it's "too cold," winterizing anything, owning a snowblower or snow shovel, and have great neighbors that live far enough away that they don't come over to borrow a cup of sugar.  I'm thankful that neither my mother from North Dakota or my father from West Virginia didn't want to move back to either of those places after dad retired from the military.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
imnukensc

Obviously not a winter person, but as we used to say back in the sixties, "different strokes for different folks"..!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2017, 01:45:37 PM »
imnukensc

Obviously not a winter person, but as we used to say back in the sixties, "different strokes for different folks"..!

Absolutely true, I am not a winter person, but that isn't the only point I was making.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
imnukensc

Sorry if there was a point I obviously missed it. 

I bet you are glad that you did not live through the Maunder Minimum.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
 NewEnglandBushcraft

My biggest complaint about winter and deep snow is that it makes it hard to find my arrows.. :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
Cold and windy here today.  Some drifting.  At lunch in town after church we were discussing the best methods to keep tractors warm enough to start in this kind of weather.  Some use those Reddy heaters running on kerosene or propane for a couple of hours in the morning, others use electric heating elements that are either installed on the engine block or warm up the radiator antifreeze solution.  I have a antifreeze heater on the tractor and a oil/engine block heater on the skid steer.  Both work pretty well.  I use a Reddy heater to thaw stuff that is frozen though.  They are very handy as long as you have a generator or power.

At one point some folks started bemoaning the cold and all the plowing and vehicle care problems.  I just looked at a friend who lives much as we do out in the country and said "beats the &*^&% out of living in town".  Everybody agreed to that.  After the last seventeen years here it would be difficult to move back to town and give up all the good stuff about living on a larger acreage surrounded by farms and ranches.  It is heaven to me, regardless of the weather.
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
Stan

There it is.. I can put up with a few weeks of bad weather not to have to put up with the town folks who just don't get it. 

I have a little diesel tractor, I put an in line heater in the bottom radiator hose, if I plug that in for about two hours it starts like it was summer time. If you have your tractor, etc, setting someplace where the cold air can circulate freely around it then an oil pan heater as well is a good idea. 

After all of those years in Alaska I can usually find a way to get my machinery going here in the "tropics".. !!

Throwing an old quilt of some sort over the engine and then adding heat shortens the heat up time.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2017, 06:14:35 PM »
Yes there are lots of things one can do.  The company I worked for owned a very high end guest ranch (Mobil Five Star rated) in Colorado.  They had a winter season and temperatures were frequently well below zero.  One method they used to get cars going if they would not start was a pan of charcoal under the oil pan area of the motor.  Bothered me but in the ten or so years they did it they never burned one up as I can recall.  At least sitting here I cannot.   

I used a regular heat lamp once in awhile, laid on the ground pointing at the oil pan with a tarp thrown over the hood and down on the ground on the windward side.  It helped a lot.  We use that same arrangement over a straw bed for baby calves that get chilled too.

(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »
I've used heated dip sticks, block heaters and the lower hose recirculating heaters. I thought the in-hose one was the best, until I figured out it never got the water hot enough to open the vehicle's thermostat, so it wasn't really circulating through the whole water jacket.  :P  Now I place my bet on the block heater types.

BTW, we're under a Winter Storm Warning until 5 pm Monday.  7-12 inches in the area, 12+" in the mountains.  But our little valley may only get about 3".  We have that already, so who knows by morning?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
Last nights forecast missed I guess as we had no snow and the winds were not as brisk as they thought.  That is a good thing.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
6 degrees this morning and that has been the coldest day of the 2017 year so far on the thermometer.   Getting some bad weather tomorrow but after that the temperature is going up  a lot (so does the weatherman says).
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
I almost hate to say..but 35 and sunny, just grand, I went out and did some tractor work with the blade and my front end loader on the drive way. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
I almost hate to say..but 35 and sunny, just grand, I went out and did some tractor work with the blade and my front end loader on the drive way.
We're up to a balmy 20F today, overcast but a pleasant change. I had to put on a lighter weight jacket to finish up my snow removal.  ???

BTW, NEB, I got a hat real similar to yours for Christmas this year.  Genuine dead Chinese rabbit-lined.  Cabela's camo pattern, nicknamed "The Mad Bomber". LOL!  Pretty toasty.
I got a chuckle because it has little flaps on the cheek panels you can snap open just enough so you can hear what's around you better.  For hunting?  When momma calls you for dinner? IDK.....

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:38:08 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »
We're up to a balmy 20F today, overcast but a pleasant change. I had to put on a lighter weight jacket to finish up my snow removal.  ???

BTW, NEB, I got a hat real similar to yours for Christmas this year.  Genuine dead Chinese rabbit-lined.  Cabela's camo pattern, nicknamed "The Mad Bomber". LOL!  Pretty toasty.
I got a chuckle because it has little flaps on the cheek panels you can snap open just enough so you can hear what's around you better.  For hunting?  When momma calls you for dinner? IDK.....

Yeah, those things are about the best thing out there for keeping your head warm IF you don't have to be too active for very long.   I end up with sweat-soaked hair if any real heavy physical activity takes place........not much of a problem for me anymore, though. ;D     China must make a passel of those things because I got mine about 25-30 years ago at a gun show in Sioux City for a whole $10.......still serving me well, but it's losing some of the hair in places and one earflap is beginning to tear off.  Cabela's has them on a post-Christmas sale for around $18......I might have to spring for a new one for the more formal occasions I attend. :lol:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »

Yeah, those things are about the best thing out there for keeping your head warm IF you don't have to be too active for very long.   I end up with sweat-soaked hair if any real heavy physical activity takes place........not much of a problem for me anymore, though. ;D     China must make a passel of those things because I got mine about 25-30 years ago at a gun show in Sioux City for a whole $10.......still serving me well, but it's losing some of the hair in places and one earflap is beginning to tear off.  Cabela's has them on a post-Christmas sale for around $18......I might have to spring for a new one for the more formal occasions I attend. :lol:
If you clip the flaps up, they're not that much hotter than anything else, IMO.
I still think the most versatile hat/cap is a good ol' wool Navy watch cap.  Roll it down to protect your ears and neck, or roll it up like a beanie when you get too hot.  A buddy in Alaska showed me the fine art of rolling a knit cap, using kinda like the flu in a stove.  Think of it as dressing your head in layers....  ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
I disagree with you on the 'bomber' (with the earflappers up) being suitable for heavier activity in ANY weather........for me, the watch cap is much more suitable for that duty.  It's knit construction just breathes a lot better in periods of heavier physical activity.  The 'bomber' is perfect for when you're ice-fishing, on a deer stand or out in the winter wind on the seat of a tractor......I NEVER got a cold head or ears in those situations when wearing mine.