Author Topic: Winter (so far)  (Read 14428 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Winter (so far)
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
I disagree with you on the 'bomber' (with the earflappers up) being suitable for heavier activity in ANY weather........
                                                     :fire2:
I don't think that's exactly what I claimed, but I guess it depends upon how cool a head you keep....  :taunt:

As for the watch cap, I agree with you 100%
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »
After 20+ years in Alaska, my favorite head gear for cold weather is a good wool knit hat.  And at -20 I guarantee you you will not get too warm with the "flaps" down on a fur hat.  I was on a blood trail one night, in Anchorage, (human blood), and got a bit distracted, and forgot to pull the flaps down, my ears were cold for a little while, but that went away.  Funny thing about frost bite, but I did catch the person I was trailing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »
I seldom shoveled corn in -20 degree temperatures, so I can neither confirm nor deny. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
It was a minus 24 here this morning but the wind was gone and the only frustration was the deer tore all my snow fence down getting to the hay stacked in the back lot by the corral.

As an aside I wear three or four different hats when the temps drop below zero.  A Stormy Kromer with ear flaps, a Lowe Mountaineering gore tex cap with ear flaps, a mad bomber hat, and a wool stocking hat with a reflective liner.  They all work well but the best of the bunch is the Lowe Mountaineering hat.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
Today I was gifted a hand-knitted "dicky" to go with my Mad Bomber hat. Keeps the whole neck warm, and can pull it up over my mouth and nose. I've been doing chores in sub-zero weather, and fighting pneumonia at the same time, so it was well received.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2017, 01:01:30 AM »
Not sure how they could be so wrong (other than the Drugs 'r' Us crew at the NWS), but I'm glad they are!
According to the NWS forecast for our valley, we're supposed to be -19F right now. We are actually +5F. Yeah!

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »
I checked my fire last night around, midnight it was 20 deg., my thought was a warming trend, at 4AM it was 9...

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2017, 07:45:28 AM »
If I had not been born up north, wearing a "Dickie" would be uncomfortable.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
Except for a few days this month, we've been having spring-like weather. Looks as though it will continue like that :/. The erratic temperatures are also confusing the bears.
Yesterday, it was 60 F. Last night was 20 F, today is right around 32, and this upcoming week it will warm up yet again. I guess I need to move somewhere else to experience 4 full seasons...this 'ain't cutting it.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
The temperature is 29 degrees and it just started to get some light snow, expecting from a dusting to no more than 1 inch.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2017, 08:49:41 PM »
The whole NE is supposed to be under a heat wave the rest of this month....

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »
We're supposed to get a half inch of ICE tomorrow night, followed by 1-4" of snow. :rolleyes:

That sounds like fun. >:(

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
We are currently a balmy -7 but it is blue sky and sunny.  Might see mid twenties today and then we are told it will get all the way to 40 by mid-week.  Gonna be muddy but I welcome the the thaw, even a short one.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
Stan

Same kind of weather here, I have 18 deg., and bright sunshine.  By Wed., maybe 40 and rain which will make a real mess out of the packed snow in my driveway.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
Our forecast is about the same as John's.

Just a word to the wise, based upon my personal experience after snow-melt-rain-freeze:  BUY SOME SLIP-ON ICE CLEATS!!!! 
Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't mind three squares a day and bed rest in a hospital with a broken hip, but my family wouldn't fare so well.

Also, I have two types: flat and contoured. Get the kind that are contoured to the shoe with the "toe pocket" formed.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
OPdo ey make those for hunting boots?
i wear a sz,10'2E

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:05 AM »
I have a set of something very similar, they are just the thing for ice.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »
I worked outdoor for 25 years, on call 24/7 specially during the winter weather's worse conditions to walk on and that is ice, had pair of those that OP posted on the picture, and a spare.   They are great!    Sometimes during ice/snow conditions they may get snow lumps around the cleats, to prevent that to some extend use silicone spay before putting them over the shoes; if you stand too long over an icy spot like when ice fishing, be careful when you pick up your feet, the metal cleats may get frozen to the ice and you will loose your metal cleats enclosed in those yellow plastic rings you see in the picture and they are almost impossible to put back while wearing them.    The only thing better that those are the aggressive metal ones, they are like walking on ice picks but they do work on extreme icy conditions.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
They are so common around here, most of the stores have signs on their doors, "No cleats, please!"  They DO do a number on a bare floor, even tile, so I have a pair mounted on my "outdoor shoes" to preserve my entry way and porch floor.   :-\

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
OPdo ey make those for hunting boots?
i wear a sz,10'2E
Yep!  Amazon's your best source.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
I have a pair that has thinner sections of stretch material and replaceable cleats.  They work pretty well on ice but don't stay on some boots very well.  They tend to work best on footwear you would not wear outside in the winter.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:07 AM »
I have a pair that has thinner sections of stretch material and replaceable cleats.  They work pretty well on ice but don't stay on some boots very well.  They tend to work best on footwear you would not wear outside in the winter. 
Someone else asked about use with boots. These are offered by Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/KORKERS-ULTRA-ICE-CLEATS/1838717.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dice%2Bcleats%26CQ_st%3Db

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »
The ones I have work well on bare ice, but tend to come off if you wear them in snow, I was on a hike last winter, with my cleats on, and when I got back to the house only had one. Fortunately  I just back tracked myself and found the missing one.

Now I take a couple of old boot laces and lace them onto my boots and have not lost one since.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2017, 01:13:06 PM »
I use Stabilicers (US made :D). You can walk on bare ice with them (carefully, of course), but they're not so aggressive that the points wear away if you step on rocks. Mine fit my  Bog's Tumalos as well as my larger Sorel Champions.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
10/4 on the StabilIcers! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:    Zammer set me up with a pair of those things when I was complaining about not being able to keep a set of Yaktrax on my Sorels.

They work and they're WOLFY APPROVED!

https://www.stabilgear.com/shop/outdoor-recreation/stabilicers-ice-cleats-original/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
Yes, those are much better than the ones my wife and I have, as far as staying on is concerned.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »
It has to be cold outside for those to work- is that right?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2017, 11:56:19 PM »
It has to be cold outside for those to work- is that right?
Uh...well, what's considered cold?  My cleats get the most use when the air temperature is in the 30's, and the ice on the ground is starting to melt on the surface. Walking on wet ice will put you on your butt in a heartbeat. 
Right now, the temps have been +/- Zero F, and the snow is still crunchy. I don't even bother with cleats under these conditions.
Our forecast is for rain and 40+F temps, then lows in the teens... I still have 6"-10" of snow pack on the ground. You can bet I'll be wearing them later this week. The glazed, frozen snow will be like Teflon, even though it's "T-shirt weather".

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2017, 06:36:53 AM »
When it is real cold ice is not slippery.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2017, 07:34:02 AM »
Up here in Nova Scotia the autumn was brilliant. Higher than average seasonal temperatures for Oct and Nov.
In Dec we experienced three times the average snowfall though. In fact, a report on the news, the week before last, said that all areas in Canada had had about three times their average snowfall for Dec; the exception being Ottawa which had only twice it's average December snow amounts. Only twice their average snow amout was still significantly more than Halifax's triple amount of 73cm.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2017, 10:24:51 AM »
Up here in Nova Scotia the autumn was brilliant. Higher than average seasonal temperatures for Oct and Nov.
In Dec we experienced three times the average snowfall though. In fact, a report on the news, the week before last, said that all areas in Canada had had about three times their average snowfall for Dec; the exception being Ottawa which had only twice it's average December snow amounts. Only twice their average snow amout was still significantly more than Halifax's triple amount of 73cm.
28" of snow in a month is more than I want to deal with. You guys must have roof snow removal down to a science.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
(Note to Self: NEVER step outside w/o a camera!)

It's a sweltering +25F (-4C) right now.  On my morning rounds, I ran into my son's roommate on his way to the village.  He was wearing basketball shorts and a tank top.  Iconic image of a true Montana Boy! Haha!
Not to mention the wild turkeys getting out of his way in the driveway.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »
Freezing rain this morning, looked outside the big picture window, went over to the propane fireplace, turned on the propane heater in the living room, made a pot of coffee (it's a Bunn makes coffee in less than 3 minutes), and enjoyed the cup watching the fireplace.    The temperature was 32 degrees, later on it got up 33 for the longest time and now at 12:30 noon it's only  degrees but it is raining.   BTW I keep my furnace at 58 degrees at night, I like the computer/ham radio room at about 64 degrees but the wife likes it at least 70 degrees in the living room.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
OP

Roof snow removal, a topic near and dear to my heart !!!  I am trying to find a way to get my new tracked rig up on the roof.  Barring that it is just one shovel full at a time. I have +40 in the forecast but with rain.  The information I have been able to find indicates that nice dry snow is only about 3# per square foot, wet snow goes to 21# per sq., foot and ice is around 50# sq., foot. 

Being almost as old as I you know about "canaries in the coal mine"  My canary is the old barn that was here when I bought the place, it was build by a committee, none of the members had any idea about construction, and is is by guess and by gosh, mostly 2"X4", and as far as I know it has been here for around 30 years, and the roof never shoveled off during that time, it is still standing. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
OP

Roof snow removal, a topic near and dear to my heart !!!  I am trying to find a way to get my new tracked rig up on the roof.  Barring that it is just one shovel full at a time. I have +40 in the forecast but with rain.  The information I have been able to find indicates that nice dry snow is only about 3# per square foot, wet snow goes to 21# per sq., foot and ice is around 50# sq., foot. 

Being almost as old as I you know about "canaries in the coal mine"  My canary is the old barn that was here when I bought the place, it was build by a committee, none of the members had any idea about construction, and is is by guess and by gosh, mostly 2"X4", and as far as I know it has been here for around 30 years, and the roof never shoveled off during that time, it is still standing.
The proof is in the pitch. That's why they build "A frame" cabins at ski resorts like Snoqualmie Pass in WA where they get 190"+ snow a year.
My 70 year old cabin and garage are doing fine, baring a couple leaks. But my main concern is a mobile home with no snow roof..... Virtually a flat top.

My roof saver....

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »
I have one kind of like that.  Sometimes a push broom works to if the snow is just right.  I have to be careful as I have some panels that are translucent in the barn roof and if you step on one you're toast.  They leak too as they are pretty old and the last hail storm wasn't kind to them at all.  We generally clean the roof off only when the snow is about a foot deep.  My pitch is not too steep and I worry about that some.  We have been here seventeen years and only three of those years have I been up dragging the snow off. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »
I have one kind of like that.  Sometimes a push broom works to if the snow is just right.  I have to be careful as I have some panels that are translucent in the barn roof and if you step on one you're toast.  They leak too as they are pretty old and the last hail storm wasn't kind to them at all.  We generally clean the roof off only when the snow is about a foot deep.  My pitch is not too steep and I worry about that some.  We have been here seventeen years and only three of those years have I been up dragging the snow off.
Right there with ya, Stan.  4/17 for me.  8"-10" I don't sweat, but this year we had 14" of snow on top of 3" of ice, and it's still around after a month. Usually melts and re-snows 2-3 times in the same period.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2017, 06:00:59 AM »
Weatherman says it will get up to the mid 40s this week....at least it won't be 60 F. No snow in the forecast anytime soon. Looks like January will continue as a wet, icy unseasonably warm mess.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2017, 07:47:36 AM »
I did not get all of my shoveling done before the rain started, now everything has a layer of ice, this has been an exceptional winter, the elk have moved down on the flat, just got an e-mail from the guy that owns the property next to mine, he lives down below and there are thousands of elk down on the farm land, that may cause some problems. 

I will see if I can get him to get some pictures.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »
This lengthy snow cover has been rough on the wildlife. Found a dead pigeon in the snow the other day.  Some years the deer eventually visit the ash tree next to my chicken coop for the berries. This year they are even rooting through a foot of snow after my kale, and anything else edible.
On another crazy note, yesterday there was a confused robin in my apple tree!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »
Remember my post about the 18 feet of snow at Snoqualmie Pass?  I just got this road report:

If you are heading to Washington via I-90 around Snoqualmie Pass there WILL BE a delay I-90 will remain closed in both directions between Ellensburg and North Bend through Wednesday night due to dangerous conditions for the road crews and drivers. They will re-evaluate Thursday morning

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2017, 05:35:31 PM »
OP

The proof is in the pitch. That's why they build "A frame" cabins at ski resorts like Snoqualmie Pass in WA where they get 190"+ snow a year.
My 70 year old cabin and garage are doing fine, baring a couple leaks. But my main concern is a mobile home with no snow roof..... Virtually a flat top.

My roof saver....

Ahhhh.  Snowqualmie Pass.  I used to ski there most weekends (there or Steven's Pass) on weekends when I lived in the area.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »

Ahhhh.  Snowqualmie Pass.  I used to ski there most weekends (there or Steven's Pass) on weekends when I lived in the area.

The upper end of Lake Kachess.... Only way in was boat, or 4x4. Great place to get away from it all.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »
OP

Pitch has nothing to do with my old barn it has two sections that are nearly flat.

I had half an inch of ice on top of everything yesterday morning, gave the ice creepers a real work out, I found three cracked beams in my work shop, that roof got all of my attention yesterday.

Just some of the elk down on the flats..

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
OP

Pitch has nothing to do with my old barn it has two sections that are nearly flat.

I had half an inch of ice on top of everything yesterday morning, gave the ice creepers a real work out, I found three cracked beams in my work shop, that roof got all of my attention yesterday.

Just some of the elk down on the flats..

Nice herd!  Does it have a name?  The Blue Mountains are legendary for their elk, but I'm glad they don't get the publicity like Wyoming and Montana.

Speaking of old-style structures, "they don't make 'em like they used to". ;)  A neighbor has a 3 story (!) shop/storehouse built on a side hill. It was built back in the 1950's when Lumber Was King.  All the exterior and interior walls are built with rough cut 2x4's stacked flat, one on top of the other. I'd hate to try to calculate how many board feet are in that building!  Nothing short of a landslide is going to bring that thing down.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
28" of snow in a month is more than I want to deal with. You guys must have roof snow removal down to a science.
Hey OP,
Norther New Brunswick, Quebec and all areas west to the B.C. Coast have more to worry about with roof snow removal.
Southern New Brunswick and coastal Nova Scotia don't generally have the huge accumulations for very long due to the moderating effect of the ocean.
Our general winter weather pattern is Snow, rain/thaw, freeze, repeat. Occasionally, like two years ago, we skip some of the rain/thaw cycles and we end up with multiple dumps piling up. I'm not sure if the steep pitch on roofs or the building code takes snow weight into account, but I've heard of very few roof collapses.
Two years ago, I had 10+ foot snow banks in my front yard. My building is a two story flat top and we did have to shovel the roof twice that year. Not a secure feeling at all, at all.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »
"Wash, rinse, repeat.." Reminds me of the old White Rain shampoo commercial!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2017, 04:00:46 PM »
Rained here last night.  This morning it was slick on the wet ice and the rain on the wooden deck froze making it dangerous to walk on with old legs and knees.

Blue sky though and its gotten into the mid 30's by early afternoon.

(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
Rained here last night.  This morning it was slick on the wet ice and the rain on the wooden deck froze making it dangerous to walk on with old legs and knees.

Blue sky though and its gotten into the mid 30's by early afternoon.
I have what you might call a screened porch. Siding 3/4 of the way up, then bug screen. The 3" of ice and 8" of snow, plus the heat from opening the front door caused frost on the underside of the ceiling.  Then it snowed...inside the porch...falling frost.  Then it melted.  THEN it froze.  My cleats live by the front porch door, not the house door.  I just about busted my keister getting from Point A to Point B!!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »
 :pissed:   

Good idea to leave your cleats where you do.  I hang mine on a hook about five feet from the back door. 
(Mark Twain)