Author Topic: Winter (so far)  (Read 14428 times)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Re: Winter (so far)
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »
I have seen some pretty extreme weather in both places.  I spent some time in Fairbanks, it gets pretty cold there, but when spring arrives, it is just glorious, I have been out snow shoeing there in April in a short sleeve shirt, but when the sun went down it was time for a heavy coat again. 

And a lot of how you handle cold weather is what you are used to. We had a stretch of -50 at Prudhoe Bay, and then it cleared off the sun came out and the temp went up to -10,  the guys that were at the same camp as I was, when I worked security there, were out in the parking lot playing soft ball.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2016, 08:32:24 PM »
There is a lot of truth to that John.  The first cold snap of the year seems horrible and by February we are wearing a sweater and no jacket when it is ten degrees above. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
hey stan' check out the great blizzard of 1880-81
in minnesota and the dakota territories, it lasted for months.
i first read about it in of all places a childrens book.
titled (the long winter) by laura engles wilder. it is
a very telling book on the times seen through the eyes
of a young pioneer girl.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »
Where I live the blizzard of 1886-87 is the one they talk about.  That storm changed the landscape for the cattlemen.  Broke the big outfits that brought Texas cattle up late in the year and put them already overstocked range.  Ended the era of open range.  People froze to death trying to find or get back to their houses in that blizzard.

My father was raised on a farm down in Colorado and told of times when you tied a rope on the house and ran it out to the outhouse when a blizzard was raging.  Otherwise they would find you in the Spring.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2016, 11:10:16 PM »
hey stan the deal with the rope that's real thank God for indoor plumbing.
i built a 2'holer out back and use it, just not in winter.
ever read up on a comming iceage? thier cycles sun goes into a cooling cycle
and then comes the ice age. the last biggie was 10'000 yrs ago.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »
It is called a blizzard, very low temps a lot of snow and wind.. 

I had a snow fall the day before yesterday, and when it quit I checked the weather forecast, no more than 1" expected for the next day, so I went out and plowed snow, when I woke up yesterday morning it was snowing, and before it quit there was another 6" so much for less than the 1" in the forecast.
The NWS kids are on crack!  Our "1-3 inches" left 10" on the ground a few days ago. Their "-15F" forecast ended up +6F.
I follow 3 different weather forecast services for "spot forecasts" for my area. So far, the only reliable one is Intelicast's "Future Radar" prediction. It only goes 24 hr in advance, but for rain/snowfall it's been spot-on, right down to the actual times the weather hits (or misses) us.

My experiences with "blizzards" include Anchorage, AK, Portsmouth, NH, and Union, NE. 
Anchorage is basically surrounded on 3 sides by sea. No lack of moisture in THAT air.  Portsmouth is right on the North Atlantic coast, and Nor'easters are wet storms. The Winter of '68 left drifts on the lea side of our barracks up to the 2nd story windows!  Winters in Nebraska suck!  I was living out on a farmstead, and driving home one night in a whiteout (you ain't lived until you've been in a "whiteout" in the dark!) my station wagon just stopped going forward. I pried my way out of the car and found I'd driven straight into a drift that was over the hood!  I ended up walking the last 1/2 mile to my house, trying to follow a fence line to keep from getting lost. It was 2 days before the neighbor with his front loader got my vehicle home.

But as was rightly mentioned above, most "blizzards" are wind-driven snow that's already fallen.  More like a dust storm, but really, really freakin' cold!
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
temps are dropping into the forties tonight.  I am heading down to my Miami place for the rest of December.   :)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
I  usually get one white out here of a winter, or more correctly end up driving in one, since I do not get too far from my mountain.  I have had to navigate on power lines in the winter in Alaska, no matter what trying to drive in a white out is not a fun past time.

I have also driven into snow drifts during a storm in up state New York, and had to just leave the car and go back for it the next day with the tractor.  When I lived on the old farm in NY we just took it for granted that we were going to be snowed in for the first two weeks in February.

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »
Early this morning the temperature was 15 degrees, now it is 16 (10 am), wind gusting to 31 mph, steady at right now at 28 mph wind chill at -3 that is minus three degrees.    Cold out there.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
They are forecasting 6-8" of snow and the latest temperature is below zero for the weekend with wind chills at -32F.  We are getting the generator up on the deck today. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
Its been snowing all morning, but only 1" accumulation. So far it's warmed up to +7F.  Forecast for tomorrow night is -18F, not factoring in any wind chill.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2016, 05:40:31 PM »
We've got a wind warning until tomorrow morning. Temperature was 25 F today for the high, tonight should be down to 7 F. Looks like we'll be getting up to 6 inches of snow on Saturday....FINALLY, about damn time  :banana:
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2016, 05:01:44 AM »
80 today.....85 tomorrow.......brrr rrr.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2016, 06:32:45 AM »
yeah crash i'm muching a bag of conch fritters on my imaginary beach under my make believe
coconut tree yeah thats the ticket, but in the real world it's going down to -45 below this weekend.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »
We got about 6" of new snow and the temperature at 6:00 AM was -24 on the east side of the house and -16 on the west.  One of the  thermometers  is bogus.  (It turned out to be the -16 temp was bogus based on my neighbors readings.  The real temp was a -24)

I stuck my FWD car in the driveway last yesterday but can drive around it with the truck.  The car has nothing on it to hook on to and pull it out.  Very irritated about that.  It can stay there still Spring for all I care.  On a positive note it did start this morning.

My Bobcat didn't though.  :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:17:10 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

• Whetstone +
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »
Woooohoooooooo! Got our first decent snowfall of the season, 6 inches as Mr. Weatherman promised  :banana:
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2016, 12:47:12 PM »
You'll never know how happy I am for you! :rolleyes: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2016, 01:38:26 PM »
well heres my country song
the farmall needs a new starter,the tahoe is dead as a post
tring to charge up as i post was running this morning go figure.
this weekend wind chill could reach -45 below.
well at least i still have the wife, the dog did'nt up and die
and the county ain't taken the farm at least not yet.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2016, 06:48:05 AM »

Been a long time since I remember these temps here in Dec.. This is more like Jan. & Feb. stuff.. When I was younger, I used to work outside in it & sometimes hunt & icefish in this stuff, believe it or not. Didn't even concern me at the time. Older now... Not happening.  LOL ;-)

Right now...

Fair
-26?F
-32?C
Humidity
69%
Wind Speed
S 5 mph  <<( hope it does not get windier.)
Barometer
30.41 in
Dewpoint
-32?F (-36?C)
Visibility
10.00 mi
Wind Chill
-41?F (-41?C)
Last update
18 Dec 7:34 am CST

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »
 Friday morning: 4 degrees in the morning was the low, 18 degrees was the high in the afternoon. This morning the low at 7:30 am is 45 degrees, this weather is crazy, supposed to get up to 49 degrees later on, them another plunge to 15 degrees tonight.

Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »
Night before last it hit -15F instead of the -25 forecast. Supposed to be above freezing by mid-week.  :banana:

Sorry 'bout y'all to the East. You're getting one of OUR winters!  :-\

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
After a few days of single digit temps, when it gets back up to 20 it seems pretty warm..

It got cold enough in my shop that I had to put a heater on my little electric wood splitter, so it would run without tripping the breaker in the shop.

A couple of feet of snow in places, lots of snow shoe opportunities. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
After a few days of single digit temps, when it gets back up to 20 it seems pretty warm..

It got cold enough in my shop that I had to put a heater on my little electric wood splitter, so it would run without tripping the breaker in the shop.

A couple of feet of snow in places, lots of snow shoe opportunities.
The local weatherman was saying by mid-week we could break out our Bermuda shorts when the temps go up to 32-35F. He was only half kidding. After below-zero weather, I call anything in the mid-30's "T-shirt weather".

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
We only got about 6-8" of snow here.  Last night, at 10:00 PM it was a minus 27 F.  At 7:00 AM it was a plus 8 F.  I like this trend.  Not too windy either.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
Here in northeast NEBRASKA it was -23 @ 5AM, but thankfully there is no wind.  :thumbsup:
It has warmed up to -5 @ 11AM and will continue that warming trend until it gets to around +32 sometime this afternoon.  :banana:   IT'S NOT TOO BAD! :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »
Well the wind picked up about noon.  We came home from dinner about 1:30 and the driveway was drifted over about two foot deep on the uphill part for about 100 yards.  I got a good run in truck at it and we made it to the house.  Got the skid loader started and plowed out the drifts but it just drifted in as fast as I took it out.  Supposed to be windy for a couple of days.  Arizona is starting to look appealing. 

My car is still stuck in the snow too.   >:(
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2016, 06:18:22 PM »
our sun is slowing down we are  entering     into a new iceage, manmade global warming/cooling
s all hooey, our sun goes in cycles. the last maunder minimum ended around the 1850's.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
Not much snow here.....'bout 2-3," but it IS cold!  It was -23 in the early morning hours today, but it will be warming to +30 tomorrow.....and up to +40 by Tuesday. :banana:   A 50-60 degree warmup in a little over 24 hours......Not too bad. :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2016, 08:26:57 PM »
Not much snow here.....'bout 2-3," but it IS cold!  It was -23 in the early morning hours today, but it will be warming to +30 tomorrow.....and up to +40 by Tuesday. :banana:   A 50-60 degree warmup in a little over 24 hours......Not too bad. :thumbsup:
That is not unusual for Nebraska. In the fall of '76 (or '77) I was living in a motorhome ready to depart for Alaska. The lows were around 29-30F and the highs were 85.  A 50 degree swing each day was nuts, IMO.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
South Dakota has a couple of weather records I have read about.  Oddly enough both involve 49 degree F changes.

Fastest temperature rise: 49 F from −4 F to 45 F in two minutes; Spearfish, South Dakota,  January 22nd,1943.

Fastest temperature drop: 49 F in 5 minutes; Rapid City, South Dakota,  January 10th 1911

The records in Montana are numerous.  Greatest temperature change in 24 hours occurred in Loma, MT. on January 15, 1972. The temperature rose exactly 103 degrees, from -54 degrees Fahrenheit to 49 degrees. This is the world record for a 24 hour temperature change.

Other extreme temperature changes

In 24 hours:
100 F, Browning, Mt., Jan. 23 and 24, 1916, from 44 F to 56 F.
In 12 hours:
84 F, Fairfield, Mt., Dec. 24, 1924, from 63 F at noon to 21 F at midnight.

South Dakota has some other temperature extremes as well.

In 2 hours:
62 F, Rapid City, SD., Jan. 12, 1911, from 49 F at 6:00 A.M. to 13 F at 8:00 A.M.
In 27 minutes:
58 F, Spearfish, S.D., Jan. 22, 1943, from 54 F at 9:00 A.M. to 4 F at 9:27 A.M.
In 15 minutes:
47 F, Rapid City, S.D., Jan. 10, 1911, from 55 F at 7:00 A.M. to 8 F at 7:15 A.M.

:fire2:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:53:15 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »
hayshaker

There is a lot of debate about global warming, and even more about the cause.  We are approaching solar minimum, and the last maximum was pretty weak.  The sun is on an 11 year cycle and that cycle rides on a much longer one.  We may be approaching another Maunder Minimum, which was the probable cause of the "mini" ice age.  http://www.livescience.com/51597-maunder-minimum-mini-ice-age.html

But for right now I have +20 and holding with a promise of warmer before the end of the day.  :)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
Stan

When I was stationed in Glennallen Alaska, we had a prolonged stretch of -50 it really got to be oppressive, we had to keep our patrol cars running or they would not start, We drove a lot of miles, Glennallen is kind of a remote area and if someone had vehicle failure they could die before another car came along.   Then over a period of about 30 hours the temperature went to 50 above. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »
Winter shminter.  Max says it was in the 80's Sat. at the beach.  And he caught the crabs,  Filthy beast.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:35:27 PM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
Good doggy!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
hayshaker

There is a lot of debate about global warming, and even more about the cause.  We are approaching solar minimum, and the last maximum was pretty weak.  The sun is on an 11 year cycle and that cycle rides on a much longer one.  We may be approaching another Maunder Minimum, which was the probable cause of the "mini" ice age.  http://www.livescience.com/51597-maunder-minimum-mini-ice-age.html

But for right now I have +20 and holding with a promise of warmer before the end of the day.  :)

I have been watching this from another angle. HF radio propagation in the upper amateur bands is seriously diminished during periods of low sunspot activity. If we enter a new Maunder Minimum cycle, worldwide HF radio communication will be more difficult without big antennas and power amplifiers.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2016, 06:10:42 PM »
PW

The reason for that is the difference in the shift of the ionosphere.  Another factor is solar wind, which has a strong ionizing effect.  It seems that during low solar activity and even if there are a lot of sun spots if they do not flare then they are pretty unimportant.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »
hayshaker

I have been watching this from another angle. HF radio propagation in the upper amateur bands is seriously diminished during periods of low sunspot activity. If we enter a new Maunder Minimum cycle, worldwide HF radio communication will be more difficult without big antennas and power amplifiers.

That is a good point, I have to rely on favorable conditions for DX'ing, my choices for antennas is limited because of where I live. Good atmospheric conditions allow me to really listen to far away stations. My transmitter is limited to the two meter band, never have gotten any real long distance contacts, but that is the way two meter works. Someday I will get my general and will have to figure out a solution to my antenna situation.

Winter here is as usual, cold nights, down to the low 20's but during the day it is pleasant in the mid forties. Can't complain, but we sure could use some snow in the mountains.
Nice matters

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2016, 05:44:43 AM »
Here is a link to some NOAA information about radio  http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/impacts/hf-radio-communications

This one is pretty definitive  http://www.hamqsl.com/solar3.html

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2016, 04:03:16 PM »
You might have better luck with your radios when the H.A.A.R.P. crews go on Christmas break.... ;)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2016, 07:32:52 AM »
We have fog this morning, which is unusual here in Albuquerque, with the normal humidity low we hardly ever reach dew point. Went for a long walk to enjoy it before the sun clears it away.
Nice matters

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2016, 08:19:52 AM »
The weather roller coaster, I have gone from almost 40 and rain, back to below freezing and snow, with a warming trend next week again.

BUT were now on the upside of the solstice and the days are getting longer.. Down hill to spring..

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »

BUT were now on the upside of the solstice and the days are getting longer.. Down hill to spring..

:lol:  Yeah, my days (at my latitude) are getting longer 17 seconds per day. Whoopie  :banana:

• Whetstone +
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »
Roller-coaster weather indeed - our highs of 30 turned into highs into the upper 40s. Christmas will be a wet one....AGAIN lol

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »
We had 50 mph wind gusts yesterday and 25 mph this morning.  Big snow drifts  and my front deck has one about five feet deep sitting on it.  Over 6 feet deep in the back yard.  The hay yard is incredible and the corral looks like I am keeping the snow drifts as prisoners.  I don't mind snow but coupled with yesterday's wind it was brutal out there.  Lost power about 9:00pm last night and got it back about 4:30 today.  Save by the woodstove but it still got down to about 35 above in the basement last night. 

Interstate 90 closed from Wyoming line to Chamberlin last night and most of today.  Open now though. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2016, 08:32:07 PM »
We took Christmas dinner down to Heather's 93 year old mother in Lincoln yesterday afternoon.  It was an 'interesting' trip.....55 mph sustained winds and rainin' like a cow peein' on a flat rock!   Dense fog after that!  :doh:    There were gusts up to 72 mph in Yankton and some 80+ mph gusts in Norfolk. 

NO snow, though........so, IT'S NOT TOO BAD! :banana:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
....And I've been complaining about 15" of snow with a 4 mph breeze!

:hail:, y'all!

• Whetstone +
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2016, 09:54:25 PM »
And tomorrow it will be 53 F......well, at least I'll be able to get back on the bike.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2016, 05:21:06 AM »
More snow here today still a lot less than Stan has, my wood pile is getting a bit small, oh well there is that dead larch just above the drive way that needs to come down.

The good thing is there now is a place where I can get across a five strand fence in my snow shoes.  I was out snow shoeing yesterday and it was sunny and just grand no new tracks I think most of my deer and elk have moved to lower elevations.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2016, 06:28:10 AM »
We haven't seen a snowflake yet. I think it hit 70F (or close) here in Knoxville on Christmas Day. My girls opened gifts, then put on shorts and t-shirts and went outside to hang their new hammocks.

The low last night was 62F, low tonight is predicted to be 33F...
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

• Whetstone +
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »
We haven't seen a snowflake yet. I think it hit 70F (or close) here in Knoxville on Christmas Day. My girls opened gifts, then put on shorts and t-shirts and went outside to hang their new hammocks.

The low last night was 62F, low tonight is predicted to be 33F...
:shocked: