Author Topic: choosing a band saw for shop  (Read 450 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
choosing a band saw for shop
« on: December 10, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
i'm want o get a band saw for the shop but only have a budget of 500"00
it does not have tobe new.  just work i want 110'v single phase
with a 3/4 to!1hp so i can cut exotic hardwoods and micartamabe even 1/8th
in steel. what do ya'll reccomend.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: choosing a band saw for shop
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 02:09:19 PM »
I've been using a portaband bandsaw mounted on a steel table for a couple of years.  It works well.  For cutting larger pieces of steel I still use a 4" angle grinder to get the pieces to a manageable size.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
I've got an older (1985?) Craftsman 14" Model that has always worked pretty well for me.  It will take a metal-cutting blade, but I have never purchased one.  I have resawed some pretty big stuff into smaller thin planks with it and it worked OK as long as you didn't 'crowd' it and used a wider resawing-type blade.

Try Craigslist to see if there are any acceptable older units for sale, too. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »
I've been using a portaband bandsaw mounted on a steel table for a couple of years.  It works well.  For cutting larger pieces of steel I still use a 4" angle grinder to get the pieces to a manageable size.

I have a Milwaukee's model, great for cutting allsrut, all thread, and rebar. Works great.
Nice matters

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:12:32 PM »
I can't think of a new one of decent quality that would fit the budget. Jet and Rikon both make a 10" machine that could probably handle the scale work. Some areas just seem to have a better chance of scoring in the craigslist, used market. There's hardly ever any goodies around here when I get in searching mode.

Are you going to be scrolling out a blade shape, roughing out, cross cutting? Have you considered handtools?