Author Topic: Webs  (Read 526 times)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Webs
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:44:52 AM »
I finally got enough snow to "trail test" my new snow shoes.  I have promised my self some new show shoes for the last seven years, I was always going to make a set, but something else came along and the snow shoe project got moved to the rear of the stove so to speak. Early last spring I got my daily ration of Cabelas ads in my e-mail and there was an ad for snow shoes, military surplus metal shoes, for $24.00  I could not make a set of shoes for that, well maybe vine maple and bailing twine..

These are very nice shoes, I believe that the frames are magnesium, and the lacings are coated steel cable.  The bindings are nylon, 
there is none of the maintenance associated with traditional shoes, no treating of leather bindings or re varnishing the frames and lacings. 

I had two pair of snow shoes when I lived in Alaska and walked a lot of miles in them, I did some cross country skiing, but found that for what I wanted to do the snow shoes were better.  I like my "new shoes", I got a couple of miles in yesterday and as time permits will do some more today.
I get along with "webs" pretty well, I haven't quite figured how to cross a five strand barbed wire fence with them on, and I am really hoping the snow doesn't get deep enough to just walk over..:)

Here is a video;

Lots of different prices for the same shoes..

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Webs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
I have seen them in surplus stores back when I was a kid.  Lot of them on Ebay and a few places sell them.  Never saw anyone using them around here.  Let us know how they do this winter. 

I can't go through a five wire with my snowshoes on either.   :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
I've seen those shoes for sale, too......but we don't usually get enough snow to warrant buying or making them.   With metal shoes, just beware of any downed power lines under the snow. ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »
I bought a set of them from Sportsman's Guide about 4 or 5 years ago. The bindings they came with left a little to be desired, but new bindings are easy to make or buy.

We haven't had a deep enough snow here to use them yet, but I can drive to deep snow pretty quickly.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
I did a couple more miles yesterday and I am well pleased,  some quicker bindings would be nice when you have to go over obstacles. I managed to make my snow shoes very heavy, I just had to walk across one of the little ponds, there was over flow just under the snow, and by the time I got across the pond the slush and snow had frozen and each shoe weighed about 15 pounds