Author Topic: SUV choices.  (Read 3784 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
SUV choices.
« on: December 24, 2016, 10:16:25 PM »
Back in 2011 when gas was at $4.00 a gallon I got rid of my Landcruiser and bought a car that gets about 38 mpg on the highway.  It is a good car but it is really poor when it is snowing or gets iced up around where I live.  You can stick this thing in 4" of snow quite easily.  So it is back to an SUV. 

I kind of like, because of the long warranty and their AWD and Four Wheel Drive system, the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.  It has a 4 cyl 2.4 litre motor, auto trans, and not many luxury or technical things.  It is small and is a fire road type of SUV, not for serious stuff.  Should get 27 to 28 mpg  on the highway.  This type of SUV is a crossover, a car with a  bit of ground clearance and that works for me as 90% of its use will be on the highway.  I have a 4x4 full size pickup for the farm and towing jobs so this is just a daily driver for my wife and me.

I will use this for backroad touring, going to campgrounds, fishing, and so forth.  It should be pretty good in snow and around the Black Hills in the winter time.

Any other small SUV's that any of you have experience with that I should look at?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 01:08:56 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: SUV choices.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:51:37 AM »
I love my Subaru Outback.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 07:04:20 AM »
I was going to mention Subaru, also.  I don't have one, but the folks I know that do, love them.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:11:02 AM »
Yeah I was going to say that. I've been wanting an outback. I really like the Toyota FJ cruiser for the looks. I think it's too heavy though.

I'm from upstate NY and believe me I know snow. I always believed that any vehicle that is real bad in the snow/ice is because the tires suck. If you want to save money buy very good snow tires. Not snow and ice or all seasons. An aggressive tread with a lot of sips. Not a 60 to 80 thousand mile tire but a 20 to 30k. They should be soft enough to stick your thumb nail down into like a race car tire.

Just my two cents from a cheap a$$. I am going to have a Subaru by April though.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 08:54:38 AM »
I am another that wants a outback,  they are sturdy vehicles and they go forever. Man but I sure hate vehicle payments.
Nice matters

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
I don't or never had one; those I've known with RAV4's have liked them. To me looks like nearly the same as a suburu. If I were in your shoes I'd probably compare and contrast those 2, while trying to talk myself into a 4 Runner. I guess I'm just a Toyota guy though.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
Yeah I was going to say that. I've been wanting an outback. I really like the Toyota FJ cruiser for the looks. I think it's too heavy though.

I'm from upstate NY and believe me I know snow. I always believed that any vehicle that is real bad in the snow/ice is because the tires suck. If you want to save money buy very good snow tires. Not snow and ice or all seasons. An aggressive tread with a lot of sips. Not a 60 to 80 thousand mile tire but a 20 to 30k. They should be soft enough to stick your thumb nail down into like a race car tire.

Just my two cents from a cheap a$$. I am going to have a Subaru by April though.

I am a cheapskate too.  I looked for decent M&S tires like the Blizzaks or anything with decent tread.  Even studs if I could find them.  The problem with the car I have (it is a Cruze Eco) is that it is so low to the ground that the front air dam will push snow about 3" deep.  If you stop in anyplace that has just a small rise in front of the drive wheels you're stuck.  I thought of the Subaru line, really like the looks of the Forester and the new CrossTrek. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 01:17:46 PM »
Well the Subaru gets a lot of love so far.  I will go look at them next week after the current blizzard passes on.  Thanks for taking the time to put in your thoughts about this.  I appreciate it.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 01:38:15 PM »

The FJ weighs less than the 4 door jeep. It would be nice if FJ had a front axle like the jeep, but I'm not a hardcore 4wheeler, and the Toyota cost quite a bit less $. Since it has been discontinued, not sure any of that matters especially with the well maintained resale value. I love my FJ, but also like the 4 door Jeeps.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
To add to my original post and clarify a bit.  Over the years I have had a lot of off road vehicles.  Jeep CJ's and Wranglers, and a Grand Cherokee; a bunch of LandCruisers from 40's, 60's, and one 62; a few pickups, and a few AWD cars.  The last ten years just pickups and, truthfully, I can get by with my current truck just fine. 

What I am after isn't a FJ or a Wrangler as they get crummy fuel mileage and are real off road vehicles which I don't need.  Think Forester, Rav4, CRV, or Outlander Sport type.  Mazda makes something.  Chevy has the Equinox.  GMC the Terrain, and Ford the Escape.  I have not looked at most of them.  Drove the Mitsubishi and kind of like it.  Based on what has been noted so far I am going to drive the Outback, the Forester, and the CrossTrek next week.  Just looking for input on what any of you like or have and what brand or model you don't like.   

(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 07:37:59 PM »
From experience I can comment on the excape. My wife has one it is 2wd but has been a good vehicle.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »
Two of my sons have CVR's, one is a 2002 and the other is a 2015.  The 2002 has been with us for four years now and has been great in the snow so far after we put a good set of all season tires on it, more focused on the snow part, but not noisy.  He rock climbs and has been down some pretty bumpy roads.  Decent enough ground clearance, pretty good traction with the AWD and still gets good enough gas mileage.  170,000 plus miles.

The 2015 so far has been a great car and did good last winter, but we didn't have all that much snow.  Gets good gas mileage, sits comfortably, plenty enough room for groceries and stuff in the back.  Just can't really comment on the traction part because it really hasn't been tested hard yet.

So from experience the CRV line has a good track record with us, just wish I could give you a better report on winter traction with the newer models.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
My Ol'friend, old man Rick down in Rapid would only buy the outback. swear's by them. always got a good return when he traded in. Good luck
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »
Funny you should mention the Outlander. We just got one. I miss my 2 door jeep, but I needed something to get kids in and out of easily. Today I put the Outlander in 4WD auto, and it popped right over the piled up snow in reverse to get out of the driveway. I agree it is more of an "unimproved road" vehicle than a "trail" vehicle. Ground clearance isn't great.

I am debating whether to get another jeep one day, or one of the decked out side by side atvs. I've had 2 jeeps and I love them, but both were bare bones sport models. I want a Rubicon, but prices are outrageous, and resale value is so high in my area it doesn't make sense to buy used. You only save a couple thousand and get a vehicle with tens of thousands of miles on it.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 11:34:42 PM »
To add to my original post and clarify a bit.  Over the years I have had a lot of off road vehicles.  Jeep CJ's and Wranglers, and a Grand Cherokee; a bunch of LandCruisers from 40's, 60's, and one 62; a few pickups, and a few AWD cars.  The last ten years just pickups and, truthfully, I can get by with my current truck just fine. 

What I am after isn't a FJ or a Wrangler as they get crummy fuel mileage and are real off road vehicles which I don't need.  Think Forester, Rav4, CRV, or Outlander Sport type.  Mazda makes something.  Chevy has the Equinox.  GMC the Terrain, and Ford the Escape.  I have not looked at most of them.  Drove the Mitsubishi and kind of like it.  Based on what has been noted so far I am going to drive the Outback, the Forester, and the CrossTrek next week.  Just looking for input on what any of you like or have and what brand or model you don't like.
with that line up, a lot of us should be asking you for advice. Kinda makes me think just how much things are the same for many folks. 99.9% or a little less a plain ole car would do. It's just how we think, just in case..... jeez the roads are snowed, slippery, a heavy rain.

OK :) in 3,4 ,5 10 days it'll be back to 70mph. No worries!  But until then I got my shotgun, (410) and 4WD, under each seat cocked and locked 45s... just kiddin'

I might be wrong but a good old land cruiser, you could go most anywhere. Not unlike a Grand Cherokee with woody sides- man those were cool. It is the current year though. I didn't mean to sidetrack your goal. XJ, who I admire a lot, called my FJ heavy. I thought that was only so it wouldn't float when I shot across the ford.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »
Funny you should mention the Outlander. We just got one. I miss my 2 door jeep, but I needed something to get kids in and out of easily. Today I put the Outlander in 4WD auto, and it popped right over the piled up snow in reverse to get out of the driveway. I agree it is more of an "unimproved road" vehicle than a "trail" vehicle. Ground clearance isn't great.

I am debating whether to get another jeep one day, or one of the decked out side by side atvs. I've had 2 jeeps and I love them, but both were bare bones sport models. I want a Rubicon, but prices are outrageous, and resale value is so high in my area it doesn't make sense to buy used. You only save a couple thousand and get a vehicle with tens of thousands of miles on it.

Which motor do you have?  2.0 or 2.4? 

I like Jeeps a lot and there was a time when a Rubicon would have been the dream machine for me.  I agree that today they are overpriced.  They have tremendous resale value around here and 90% of them are never used off road except on rare occassion. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 07:11:41 PM »
Thanks Dano, the CRV is a pretty good choice for what I want, as is the Escape that lgm mentions.  The Honda, Toyota, and Subaru lines seem to be the cream of the crop in the compact AWD street car class.  The Mitsubishi gets lower ratings than the top three but it is a really good car from what I can tell.  It is a better value that the others and has a warranty program that none of them will match.  Maybe they need it to sell them but it is hard to walk past a 5 yr. 60K bumper to bumper and that 10 yr. 100K drive train warranty that goes to the original owner only.

I am going to Rapid one more time to look at all four of them and see if I can make a decision.

Thanks for the input guys. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:37:48 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 07:56:45 AM »
I'm another one with a Subaru Outback. The Forester is very similar. It will go just about anywhere where there is some sort of road or clearing; gets decent gas mileage; when the back seats are folded down you have 6 feet of space (where you can sleep); and I can fit 10ft boards in it. Out of the cross over AWD vehicles, from what I've seen, it and the Audi have the most offroad capable AWD system. It has the best ground clearance (8.7in) although the angles are not great. I got the base model for $26,000 new, which is hard to beat. It is very easy to drive up the price though with gizmos, so watch out. The base model has the same AWD system as all the others.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »
I am intrigued with the FJ now. I would stay away from jeep. I'm a hardcore Jeep guy but the new ones..,

J-ust
E-mpty
E-very
P-ocket

I've only seen one in my life but I fell in love with an Isuzu Vehi-Cross. Screams Baja racer. The new Subaru Crosstrek is nearly the same. Love the look of those as well.

Vehi-cross

Crosstrek...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
Wood Trekker you are right about the Subaru from what I learned talking to people who have them.  The Outback, Forester, and CrossTrek are all kind of similar as far as drivetrain (although the engine cc's is different).  I have not ridden in an Audi for a long time but used to hunt with a guy who had one of the small Quattros that was pretty good on fireroads and two tracks as long as the ruts were not too deep. 

XJ35s you are spot on about the Jeeps being money pits.  The best one I had was a 1971 V6 with the 4spd overdrive trans.  It was the last of the Willys before AMF bought them.  Not the most reliable vehicle I ever owned but it would go a lot of places I was afraid to drive.  Didn't stop worth a darn on the highway.  You had to pay attention to everything going on cause if it happened in front of you it was likely going to be too late to stop if you were not watching.  I had never heard of the Isuzu you posted.  I looked at the CrossTrek last week for a bit.  They are about the same price as a base model Forester.  Right at $25,000.00.  I like the looks of them a lot but did not have time to drive one.  Ugly wheels on all of them. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:37:04 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »
I wouldn't even consider an Audi unless you still live off your rich uncles trust fund money. Under no circumstances would I buy a used one. Jeeps ain't nothing like they used to be. Most are at the bottom of their respective classes in most all categories. I know we work on a pile of them.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »
" Ugly wheels on all of them" - That's exactly what the wife said about the rims.

Spending money so might as well throw a small lift and wider rims/tires on at the factory..."Well, I guess you don't really want to make the sale then, It's okay I like the Mitsubishi better anyway." HE HE HE...

Offline U.W.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
I drive a Subee Fozzy myself, got no complaints...  Yes I have driven it off road and no I don't mean dirt/gravel roads...
As I understand it, the outback and forester (fozzy) have the same room inside; but the fozzy is a shade taller, and the outback a shade longer.  When I went to get my Subee, the fozzy was priced ten grand less than the outback or crosstrek. That was a no brainer for me, and I've been very happy with it since.  All six foot one and size fifteen hoof of me fits into the back of it very comfortably to sleep - which I have done many, many, many times in the wee hours  of the night prior to staring on one of my multi hundred mile treks...
I refer to mine as "my little gas sipper".  29.7mpg consistently...

u.w.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »

Which motor do you have?  2.0 or 2.4? 

I like Jeeps a lot and there was a time when a Rubicon would have been the dream machine for me.  I agree that today they are overpriced.  They have tremendous resale value around here and 90% of them are never used off road except on rare occassion. 

Probably the 2.0. It doesn't seem to have much "pep".

As for the Jeeps, around here they DO get used off road a lot, so buying used is a gamble. You might find one with less than 10k miles on it, but it has been jumped and rock crawled for those 10k miles! :D  My first JK was used with 4k miles on it. it looked pristine. But when I was running an antenna cable after having it for a few months, I found a bunch of wood chips under the carpet. You never know what it went through.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 10:41:48 PM »
I wouldn't even consider an Audi unless you still live off your rich uncles trust fund money. Under no circumstances would I buy a used one. Jeeps ain't nothing like they used to be. Most are at the bottom of their respective classes in most all categories. I know we work on a pile of them.

Creek

I have to laugh.  Back when I was working my company car was a Audi 5000 sedan.  Front wheel drive.  Nice looking car but the absolutely worst POS to ever roll down an assembly line.  Soured me on them big time.  They got better over time but are expensive and costly to repair.  You got it right and I got no rich Uncles trust fund keeping me in toys.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 10:44:22 PM »

I test drove the 2.4 with the CV transmission.  It seemed okay.  It has a bit more hp than the 2.0. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
Just to clarify, I wasn't recommending Audi. It's just a problem waiting to happen. I was just saying that they have a very good AWD system. That's why I went with the Subaru; good AWD, and good ground clearance. Especially with the X-Mode on, it will get you just about anywhere other than dedicated offroading.

The only thing that will beat it is a true 4-wheel drive vehicle with low range; something like the 4Runner or Wrangler. The Xterra was a good option, but they stopped producing it last year.

If you want to go with a new car, the Subaru is hard to beat at that price range. http://gizmodo.com/how-i-turned-my-subaru-outback-into-a-real-adventuremob-1716068985 There is also decent after market support if you want to build it up, from places like Primitive Racing.

Just pick the size that works for you: Outback, Forester, CrossTrek; they all have the same AWD system. I have the 4 cylinder Outback, 17in wheels. I haven't upgraded the tires yet, but really haven't had any need to. I'm used going into the woods with a Toyota Camry, so doing with the Outback has been a piece of cake.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »

I test drove the 2.4 with the CV transmission.  It seemed okay.  It has a bit more hp than the 2.0.

I did notice a bit of a difference in cold air though. Almost like having a ram air intake.  8) More O2 getting to the fuel = more power.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 05:56:19 PM »
wife has 230k miles on her 2003 Mazda Tribute - it was the fraternal twin to the escape until 2012 or so when ford & mazda parted ways.
outback & forester are both good -- legacy 4 door sedan looks like a car but has the same guts as the outback.
my sister is in Wisconsin driving her second RAV4 -- it's that good on the snow up there.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 06:31:47 PM »
Thanks vik, I agree about the Forester and Outback.  Didn't look at the Legacy but a friend has one and said it goes as good in snow on pavement as his old Outback did.  230K on a Tribute is outstanding.  Most of those Escapes went south way before that.  The new Escape has gotten pretty pricey compared to the Forester.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »
You cannot sleep all stretched out in back of FJ or carrry 10 foot boards

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
Scooby making me love it even more today.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
An eyebolt in each quarter panel, right behind the headlight would make for a really handy and secure 3-point tiedown system, Creek. :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »
Wolfy, the front strap it to an eyebolt I put in the radiator support. The rear has an eyebolt fastened through the spare tire compartment. With the straps to the rack in the center, she aint going nowhere. It's an easy one man operation too.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
That is a good looker Creek.  What year is it?
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
It's an '03 with 218k on her.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Ya know, it's pretty amazing just how many miles most of these proven designs will last with just routine maintenance and general good upkeep.  My old '84 2WD Ford Ranger with around 185,000 miles on it is still going strong, but the rust is melting it into the ground.  I never washed it out underneath like I should have and it has spent ALL its life on minimum-maintenance dirt roads, so you can about imagine. :rolleyes:   If I remember correctly, I replaced the clutch at around 100K, a muffler & exhaust system at some point and a pair of ball joints and shocks.......pretty fair service for a vehicle that took more stress & abuse than it deserved. :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 03:44:18 PM »
That is great service Creek.  Everybody says they are reliable vehicles.  Yours looks good too.

You know Wolfy I am the guy who buys something because everybody says it is great and reliable and then it goes and detonates an engine before 130,000 miles.  I don't know why as I am not hard on them, change oil and filters when I am supposed to, and don't skip service intervals.  I just have a cloud over me regarding vehicles, kind of like that character in Little Abner.  Joe &^%^&( or something like that.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »
Joe Btfsplk......I remember him!  :rofl:

This page even has the correct pronunciation of his last name!
https://ameripics.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/btfsplk/comment-page-1/

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
Don't be fooled. My baby has seen some love. In August I gave her new brakes and resurface rotors, radiator, rad hoses, front axles, plugs, belts, lower ball joints up front, stabilizer bushings fr & rr, & new tires. I adjusted the vales and valve cover gasket too. There's 200k worth of goodies before that. However, I couldn't ask for more comfortable or reliable transportation for the price. It earns it living.

Creek

ps. it has not had a set of head gaskets...yet.
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
Thanks for that info Wolfy.  Joe's last name is the Bronx cheer.

Creek when I say something detonates it is usually a piston coming apart, a crankshaft breaking, or (the last thing that happened to a rock solid Toyota Avalon) a camshaft front housing breaking at 70 mph. and scattering bits and pieces of the cam and related springs, valves, and rocker arms, in a desolate part of northeastern Wyoming.  My last Landcruiser had a good motor but the rust ate everything else down to having to put plywood on the floor to keep stuff from falling out.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »
Stan, didja get a new SUV?  Nosy minds wanna know!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 10:09:35 PM »
I am a slow trigger puller Nuke.  Got it boiled down to three that I like:

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Subaru Cross Trek
Chevrolet Equinox

The Equinox is a citified car, comfortable, faster than the other two with the V6, not an off roader in any stretch of the word but my wife likes it.  It is kind of luxurious.

The Subaru is fun to drive.  Loud and kind of choppy on gravel roads but it has a very good all wheel drive system for the kind of back roads driving we do.

The Outlander Sport is a much better vehicle than it's reviews would suggest.  I actually like it more than the Equinox and about the same as the Subaru.  It is the best value of the bunch being $3,000 less than the Subaru and $6000 or more less than the Chevy. 

Part of the delay comes from reading too much about these things. We drove the Equinox just because it is American and I like to buy American if I can. 

So right now I am coasting along trying to decide whether I should wait till the new Chevrolet Canyon with the turbo diesel shows up or just go buy some studded snow tires for the Cruze or trade it in on the Mitsubishi or Subaru.  Life ain't easy when you got too many choices.   :-\     
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:05 AM »
i got a 2000 chevy tahoe paid cad cash in 2014, runs ok,

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 11:49:32 AM »
Look mate, you started the thread about the Outlander and sort of eluded to it being cheaper and most liked. If the wife won't divorce you for getting the sport, then go for it.

If she will, then you could end up in an old VW bug.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
You're correct off course XJ35.  I can buy what I want but........ I have been married for 50 years this year.  One of the reasons is probably that i share decisions with my better half.  She will let me buy the Outlander Sport but she likes the Equinox so I pay heed to that at least by including it in the pro and con discussion we will have.   >:D

I had an old VW bug (a new one in 1968).  Don't care to go there again.
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 05:27:32 PM »
I think I would take the chevy over the sonofai. I'd take a new Subaru over most cars I can afford. As an automotive professional, if price is not an issue, the Mitsubishi would be at the bottom of your list.

Creek 
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
Being cheap I am probably attracted to the Outlander partly due to price but I honestly saw nothing many of the reviews and videos griped about.  The noisy engine was the Subaru when pushed.  The Outlander Sport runs along at 85mph on the interstate just fine and it went up hills okay.  It's 4 wheel drive system is better than the other two as far as usefulness.  While appearance is subjective it is as good looking as the other two.  The Equinox is probably the best looking of the three.

This is an exercise in making a choice after having a lot of fun going over a bunch of cars coupled with advice from people who share some common interests.  As I have driven, read about, and walked around these vehicles you stumble onto other things and add good doses of confusion and opinion to the equation.  In the end it probably doesn't matter a great deal which you buy as all of them will go from point A to point B. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 05:36:02 PM »
So what ya get?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »
I am embarrassed to tell you that I have not found one as of yet.  I made an offer on a Equinox but it was declined.  It is still for sale on the lot.  I looked at a Subaru Crosstrek but we were a bit too far apart on price.  As of today I have not seen another that I am interested in making an offer on.

Now that winter is winding down there is less pressure to act quickly.  It is still a Subaru, Equinox, or Outlander Sport at this point.   :-\
(Mark Twain)