Author Topic: How about a mule?  (Read 495 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
How about a mule?
« on: December 25, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »
I've never owned a horse, mule, not even a cow or bison.

Haven't done any research into it- that's where you come in.

Purpose: to ride around on out in the country and have someone to look up to, and discuss matters with. How much would it cost for feed and healthcare per year; how much pasture is needed? How does one select a good one? What else to consider?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: How about a mule?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »
A horse and a mule take up about the same space, and feed. With either one, the animal is the cheapest part of the project.
If you want a companion to help carry your kit, eat about a bale of hay per month, and live in a 30' x 30' pen contentedly, get a Llama.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »
LOl, I said ride around the country side. Horses just, don't seem as mule-y as a mule. Which makes me wonder...I know there are many dozens of horse types- so there must be different kinds of mules too, huh?

I tried to contact the "man on a buffalo" apparently he is all stoved up these days and has trouble communicating with his care givers despite all  mod-tech.... just kidding. But buffalo is quite delicious v. Mule burgers(just in case)

If I needed someone to carry muh kit I might go for the bushlore motorcycle or a 4 wheeler... easy to catch and saddle....or  pack goat? I feel no connection spiritually to llamas, and their ilk. :-\

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »
How 'bout a burro? :deadhorse: :shrug:     Much cheaper than a mule, llama or horse and a very traditional pack animal.......I might be able to getchya' a deal at the local burro dealer.  I think he has 6 of 'em left in stock. ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 11:52:12 PM »
Wolf man.

Are you making fun of me b cause it's Christmas?

A burro, donkey might have worked 2K+ yrs back, just not so much for me.
BMW has a free maintenance program, only it ain't free. Surely someone knows how that works out with Mules.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:32:20 AM by Unknown »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 08:25:15 AM »
  :rolleyes::shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
Pound for pound, the burro can carry more weight than a horse, and pretty much a mule, also.
In the mountains of South America, they are the preferred riding animal because of their sure-footedness.
They are not much more trouble than a big dog to keep.
Remember, a mule was just a glimmer in a Jack Ass's eye before it became a mule. :lol:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »
Went to look at a small piece of property today. Not mentioned in the realtors listing, 3 pump jacks on the place that run intermittently. They are electric so probably not real noisy, but who'd want that with no mineral rights, electric cables not buried very deep running all over. Not like the Title is super cheap either, sheesh.

The farm next door was like a mule factory, must have been a dozen, 20(?) some might have been horses or hinneys I didn't look at each animal. Also had some exotic looking cows in another pasture and many, many goats.

The mules looked like I was thinking, more of a ride on design, than a heavy worker type.  Hybrid vigor!