Author Topic: Leather project question  (Read 313 times)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
Leather project question
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »
I have gotten better at the basics of leather working so I figured I would try a new project, a Boston strap for my radio at the fire department. Being the frugal guy that I am and having some out of service fire hose I figured what better material to work with. Here is my question. The only pattern that I have to go by is the straps that the guys at the department have. I was unable to locate a template per say of the parts needed to make the strap. From the general idea stand point the strap will be roughly 1 1/2" wide and a medium size would be 55-62" in length. But to have a drawing in front of me with the sizes laid out would be incredibly beneficial. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Leather project question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:39:22 AM »
Hmm...

Fire hose material is pretty heavy. I haven't worked with the stuff so I am just going to follow along and see what you come up with.

The only idea I can think of is that you might want to stitch it into a tube shape, then pull it inside out to hide the stitches.

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »
It is a bit heavy but surprisingly similar to leather in terms of working it. I plan on dying the whole thing black so hopefully the stitching won't be too visible. I'll keep everyone posted!

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
Test a small piece with your dye before you dunk the whole thing. Lots of those manufactured textiles are mixed with synthetics or chemically treated in ways that make them not take dyes well.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
Sounds like you are in a good spot, you have examples to examine. The pieces and parts can be patterned from your radio and finished belt dimensions.

Seems helpful to use a 1/2" or wider strip of whatever material you're using and wrap it around the object to measure lengths that can be transferred to a paper pattern - I'm thinking of the radio case in your situation.

Hope that makes sense/ helps

Online Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
I may have misunderstood what you're saying.  Is it patterns/templates just for the strap, or are you wanting to make a radio pouch as well.

I looked a few places and the largest, traditional swivel snap hooks I could find were for 1" strap size.  You can find larger, but the loop for the strap opening is rather small and weak looking in comparison to the others.  So you could either cut the hose down to a smaller size, or you could cut a couple smaller pieces and loop them through the hook and then either rivet or stitch them on to the straps.  Either way would work.  The other issue you're going to run into is the keeper.  Stitching them on can be a pain, but you could rivet them instead as well.  Finding a 1-1/2" buckle on the other hand is easy.

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 04:38:24 AM »
Thank you everyone for your assistance. Dano, I was looking for a pattern for the entire pattern. I have a bunch of different size buckles and swivels and attachments so I should be good in that aspect. Riveting might be a very good option to pursue and I have a couple different sizes I can use. Also thank you for the idea of trying to dye a small piece to see how it holds up makes good sense to me :)

Online Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 05:59:40 AM »
I usually use graph paper to try my layout, but also have used manilla folders or other heavy paper or even canned soft drink boxes. 

Since you're working with old fire hose I'd cut a piece out, slit it open and lay it out flat with a weight on top and try to work the creases out.  To make an easy pattern, you could cut a strip that is the width of your radio, and long enough to cover the back, under the bottom, and up the front.  Then trim two pieces a little more narrow, one will be used at the top and the second at the bottom.  Cut them long enough to wrap all the way around the radio with the first piece you made in place, and meet the ends in the middle of the back.  So basically three pieces: the longest covers the radio vertically (think of a U shape with the opening at the top) and the other two are horizontal, one at the top and the other at the bottom.  These two keep the radio from falling out the sides, and the top one will also have the D-rings that your snap swivels clip to.

For the belt part, cut two strips the length you want and the piece with the buckle needs to have enough extra length to wrap around the buckle and then stitch or rivet it in place.  Just remember to cut a slit or hole for the stem or tongue of the buckle to pass through.  They also will have to be long enough to pass around your snap swivels.  So probably two pieces that are around 36" long to start with and trim to length as you go.  Most belts have adjustment holes spaced about 1" apart.

Then you could add a small length of shock cord with a snap at the opening to secure the radio from falling out.

Maybe not the best idea, but hope that helps getting you to a starting place.

Online Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 06:22:22 AM »
I forgot to add that you'll also need some sort of keeper for the tag end of the belt, but I've seen even just an O-ring used for that in a pinch.

Here is a link to a place you can buy hardware from if needed    https://hardwareelf.com/      I've dealt with them and they are great to work with.  Really good delivery times too, and you don't have to buy minimum quantities.

Buckles     https://hardwareelf.com/catalog/hardware/buckles.aspx#f=&p=1&s=

Keepers     https://hardwareelf.com/catalog/hardware/buckles.aspx#f=b14dc31b-7f53-4088-82f1-40303b0303f7,&p=1&s=

Snap hooks     https://hardwareelf.com/catalog/hardware/snap-hooks.aspx#f=&p=1&s=

D-rings     https://hardwareelf.com/catalog/hardware/rings.aspx#f=5551fb28-5122-483e-bfad-969d83a38c9c,&p=1&s=

Tack hardware     https://hardwareelf.com/catalog/hardware/tack-hardware.aspx#f=&p=1&s=

Handle hardware     https://hardwareelf.com/catalog/hardware/handle-hardware.aspx#f=&p=1&s=