Author Topic: "Biomass" Stove  (Read 1819 times)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
"Biomass" Stove
« on: January 15, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »
Does anyone use a "biomass" stove, one of the small metal camping stoves that uses twigs, pinecones as fuel?  If so, what do you recommend? Is there plans for a DIY version?  There are several out there like the Bushcooker stove from Four Dogs, but IMO they are rather spendy. Thanks, Wes

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: "Biomass" Stove
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:14:51 PM »
I know nothing about them but the bushbuddies look like some good kit. That's all I got....

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
Are you thinking of something like a emberlite or a more advanced gasification stove?
Edit I see you mentioned the Bushcooker.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
I have an Emberlit stove in stainless   https://emberlit.com/emberlit%20original%20stainless%20lightweight%20backpacking%20stove%20wood%20burning%20backpacking%20stove

To be honest, I have only used it a couple times, but it works well.  You can adjust the heat by pulling the fuel (sticks/twigs) out from the opening if the heat gets too hot.  It has a learning curve, as does any small camp stove of this type.  The wood does burn quite efficiently and usually just leaves ash behind.

I try to either have a stone close to place the burnt pieces on if I have to take them out, or dig a small hole and place the stove next to it.  It cools pretty quickly after using it.  I don't regret buying it, I just haven't been able to use it as much as I planned, so that's about all I can offer right now.  I will say the quality is top notch.  I got it on a special purchase a few years back, and didn't know they had gone up in price so much.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
Didn't somebody post a thread today on a river trip and they used a stove like Wes is talking about? 

Here it is:  http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=13535.msg246251;topicseen#new
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
Didn't somebody post a thread today on a river trip and they used a stove like Wes is talking about? 

Here it is:  http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=13535.msg246251;topicseen#new

That's what I'm thinking of.  I made a hobo stove out of a coffee can a few years ago.  I cut fins that directed the air flow in a cyclone across the fuel.  It burned everything right down to white ash.  The problem is was too large to carry.  I looked at littlebug, Vargo, bushcooker, and bushbuddy online. 

What is the difference between woodgas and regular wood fueled?  Thanks!

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
The sixfooter stove that I used in my outing is not like the ones the thread addresses. Mine is great an if you put an 8 inch pan on it, it has some of the same principals going for it. The biomass stoves take the efficiency to a whole nother level.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »
Creek I thought a biomass stove is one that burns twigs, brush, small limbs, and any renewable vegetation source like corn, corn cobs, dried grains and so forth. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 06:55:01 PM »
Wes there a lot of DIY stove plans and videos.  Here are a couple:

There are tons more of these.
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:36 PM »
If you were to try tabs or alcohol in mine you'd lose all the  heat. The hi cylindrical shape and wind screen points the heat like a torch. Mine's more of a bad ass bbq grill.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »
I've tried to go with 4 dogs more than once. After I fill up the cart with the kit I'd like to get ... it's a lot of money. I like the anodized pots he has, the bush pots yeah, but the other ones too. He seems like a cool dude and Id bet his little stoves work well.

The Chinese copy cat gasifiers are dirt cheap. It is hard to resist, just to have another way to cook.

The hinged, folding Swiss made  box I have is just an expensive, cleanly way to have a small open fire. Hard to recommend since it weighs at least 16oz and it's just a fire - which weighs very little to carry around > without the box.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:09 PM »
If ya want to make some DIY wood gas types, here are a couple links. I think there are a couple more here on the B&B forum, but these were easy to find. They also have links in the topics to more stove you can buy or make. IIRC.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=1051.0 (MnSportsman DIY stove)

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=4907.0 ( RoadLessTraveled DIY stove)

Some others you can consider is the Coughlans emergency stove  which  is a folder that can use tabs, canned fuel ( their recommended or sterno type), or wood/pinecones, etc..
 I have this one below:

There is also this one:

There are more here at B&B I think if ya look around. I just thought I would offer some that I knew about/used.

The 2 stoves above I have shown here that I made/used work just fine for what I want when I use a stove. I also use a swiss volcano on occasion that I modded to make use of canned fuel/tabs/alky fuel + the wood, and I have a MSR pocket rocket knockoff around here also. Each has its own time to use. I prefer wood fires myself, but having a little stove around is handy too.

G'luck in your search!
:)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I've been busy watching and enjoying all of the videos.  I think for now I'm going to check out Cabela's for one of the smaller folding stoves, or continue using my MSR Pocket Rocket.  Here's the one I made awhile back it worked well, but it is as big as a coffee can, and I was wanting something I could carry: 

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hobo+stove&&view=detail&mid=74F74524F6389C4A0D6874F74524F6389C4A0D68&FORM=VRDGAR

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
 I have a home made "twig/wood" stove that works great,  the materials were cheap, only one hole to cut in for feeding the stove while in use,  It's made from an Ikea stainless steel utensil caddy that cost under $5.00 bucks,  it mates perfectly to my Mors 1.1 Lt. Bush Pot, I put three 3/16"x 5" stainless rods through the bottom holes and cut a mild steel 1/16" round plate that fits inside and rests on the SS rods, it acts as an ash tray and to keep the wood off the ground,  I can also use an alcohol Cat stove or Trangia stove in it, I can also adjust the height of the burners by using the pre drills holes in the caddy and moving the SS rods,  the bottom of the caddy also has holes drilled in it, by using it upside down the bottom becomes the grill surface.
 I've used the stove with my alcohol cat stoves, trangia stove, and Gel fuel and it worked great,  I've also used wood pellets and woods litter,  usually I just use dried 2" thick pieces of hard wood cut to 2-1/2" long lengths and split into four sections for fuel,  I've had the caddy stove red hot with wood fires without any distortion or damage, my total cost for the caddy, stainless rod, and steel plate is less than ten bucks and it was a fun project that took about an hour to complete start to finish.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
Someone posted one of these on FB the other day.  Not something I would buy but it shows what is available.  Expensive too.

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove?utm_source=home&utm_medium=hero&utm_campaign=holidayHome&utm_content=CampStove
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 05:32:47 AM »
Someone posted one of these on FB the other day.  Not something I would buy but it shows what is available.  Expensive too.

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove?utm_source=home&utm_medium=hero&utm_campaign=holidayHome&utm_content=CampStove

Definitely not a backpacking stove that would appeal to the minimalist or ultralight crowd,  but then again I don't carry a tote bag full of gadgets that are going to need charging either,  I make one concession now a days, I take my old technology flip phone with me just in case,  it makes my wife feel better.
  Probably the best production made gas/wood stoves I've seen for the money are the Bush Buddy stoves,  there the original made my a guy in Canada it's made by another company under some contract agreement with the original maker,  the clone is actually better made and costs less,  the original (if still made) sells for about $125.00, the Clone sells for $69.00 ~ $130.00 depending on size, Amazon carries the clone model.
 They are compact, fairly light weight, burn the fuel completely, and they are very efficient.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.